snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Food » The ability to smell cucumber is genetic.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The ability to smell cucumber is genetic.
skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can not stand the smell of cucumber. I can smell it from several feet away, and if there is enough of it I have to move away before it makes me sick.
But several times I have been told that most people can not smell cucumber, and if you can it is a genetic thing.
Anyone else been told this.

--------------------
I like free speech. It lets me know who the idiots are.

Posts: 407 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Forgotten Fay
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Forgotten Fay   Author's Homepage   E-mail Forgotten Fay   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm, this one's new to me. I doubt it's true thought. I love the smell of cucumber. Everyone I know, weither they like it, or hate it, can smell cucumber.

--------------------
"Smile for me when I cannot Smile anymore..." ~ Myself

Posts: 174 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
going slightly mad
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for going slightly mad   E-mail going slightly mad   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Uhm, cucumber has a smell?

--------------------
Don't warn the tadpoles!

Posts: 109 | From: Vienna | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
brillohead
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brillohead   E-mail brillohead   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My favorite perfume is Cucumber actually. I'm wearing it right now.

Cucumber is one of my favorite smells.
Kelly

Posts: 15 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Marzi
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marzi   E-mail Marzi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I can sure smell it. I don't mind the smell, but I hate when you put leftover cucumber in the fridge and it makes everything takes like cucumber. Blah!

--------------------
"Of course I'm a duck! I have all the duck bits! The bill. The webbed feet. The cute tail. The sailor hat." -Quack, from Peep and the great big world

Posts: 59 | From: Niagara Falls, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lydia Oh Lydia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lydia Oh Lydia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can smell cucumber ... I consider it sort of a neutral smell. I don't mind the smell, but it's not on my list of top things I'd like to smell (like chocolate chip cookies, pumpkin pie, etc.).

ETA: I actually never even thought about people disliking the smell.

--------------------
"My name is the symbol for my identity and must not be lost." Motto of the Lucy Stone League.

Posts: 1815 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Class Bravo
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Class Bravo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In addition to cucumber perfume, I think there are also hand lotions that are cucumber-scented.
Posts: 918 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diehard
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diehard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I totally love the smell of cucumbers, especially when they are fresh out of my garden. Oh how I miss summer already!

--------------------
Daddy "You are my "Special Angel" 1942-1999"

Posts: 440 | From: Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cucumber is a very overpowering scent to me and I don't care for it. There's a number of hand lotions, creams, and facial masks that are scented with it. So that leads me to believe that most people can indeed smell it. Whether you like the smell or not is a different story.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheBobo
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBobo   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheBobo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by going slightly mad:
Uhm, cucumber has a smell?

When some people use them certain ways they can have a smell.

the"wanna see some pictures [Eek!] "Bobo

--------------------
The views expressed in the above Post does not necessarily reflect those of snopes,The Infopoop Corporation,the Internet or most of society for that matter.

Posts: 2474 | From: Scranton, PA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tantei Kijo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tantei Kijo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tantei Kijo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On one of those forensics shows, they mentioned that not everyone can smell cyanide. It would make sense that not everyone can smell other things.

--------------------
Bender: Though you may have to make a metaphorical "deal with the devil". And by "devil", I mean the robot devil, and by "metaphorically" I mean get your coat. ------------ My sad site: A new way to be bored.

Posts: 722 | From: Colorado | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troodon
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troodon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cyanide derivatives are the nicest-smelling things that I've ever smelled. Almond-scented products can be substitutes.

--------------------
Fools! You've over-estimated me!

Posts: 3745 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mom of 2
Bone Appétit!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mom of 2     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I like the smell of cucumbers. I think that the cucumber smell inhances other smells. I have cucumber mellon body wash and I just love the way it smells. I can also smell avacado when it is used in beauty products. My friend had lotion and I tought it just reaked of avacado, but she couldn't smell anything. Sure enough when she read the ingrediants it was in there.

--------------------
Where I come from, we believe all sorts of things that aren't true. We call it--"History". Quote from the Wizard in the Broadway Show WICKED.

Posts: 3 | From: Lakeland, Florida | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ChelleGame
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChelleGame   E-mail ChelleGame   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So does cucumber melon scents just smell like melon? Because it's the combination that makes the scent.

--------------------
Michelle

Posts: 953 | From: Ely, Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages