snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Food » White Castle onions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: White Castle onions
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 23 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: A friend of mine has a girlfriend that works at White Castle. He
*swears* the sliced onions on their burgers are actually chopped cabbage
soaked in onion juice.
If this is a cost saving measure it makes no sense, they still need onions
to juice to soak the cabbage in.
He won't budge from his story as he claims to have the inside scoop.
I've heard this from other sources lately, so it seems to be gaining some
momentum.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Page Three
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Page Three     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hum. Has he ever actually eaten cabbage, I wonder? The texture and the overall shape are completely different from that of an onion. Apart from the reasons mentioned in the OP, it just doesn't seem likely to me that any part of a cabbage could pass for an onion. At least this time it's a fast food rumour that doesn't claim the "substitute" used is one far more expensive than what it's a substitute for.
Posts: 315 | From: Berlin, Germany | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cabbage is more like bitter lettuce. It doesn't have that feeling of the onion juice bursting from the cell walls when you bite into it. It would be similar to shredding romaine lettuce stumps and soaking them in onion juice and claiming that it was an onion.

And again, what would be the point. It makes no sense to do this when they could just use onions. The UL doesn't come with a "justification"?

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sunflower
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunflower     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dammit! I typed this up once before and the computer ate it! But back to the OP, I can see how a rumor like this could have started...

When I used to work at McDonalds (for 4 years) the onions for the hamburgers, cheeseburgers and Big Macs were reconstituted onions (we called them reg onions). They were sent to us as dehydrated onion flakes and we had to add water and let them soak for more than an hour before you could use them. Once they were ready, you strained any excess water out and voila! Those finely chopped onions.

I suppose that someone with a slight lack of brains could look at the yellowish, heavily onion-scented water that was poured off of the onions once they finished soaking and come up with something silly like this!

--------------------
"Excellent - a camel!" - what my husband swears I exclaimed in my sleep last night

Posts: 39 | From: Saskatchewan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages