snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Food » Tom Lehrer invented Jell-o shots?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tom Lehrer invented Jell-o shots?
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 24 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: This is sort of a random question. I have read on several
websites the claim that the alcoholic "jello shot" was invented by the
political satirist Tom Lehrer. The story goes that he was in the military
and alcoholic beverages were not allowed, so Mr. Lehrer tried putting
liquor in Jello, which would be allowed because "jello is not a beverage".
The story sounds a bit contrived, but I have never found a source that
says anything to the contrary (though some people claim to have
independently invented jello shots later on).

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
halibut
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for halibut   E-mail halibut   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to this site, the reference was the Boston Globe January 1, 1984

hali "poisoning pigeons with Jello" but

Posts: 216 | From: Lincoln, UK | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheBobo
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBobo   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheBobo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wikpedia makes no mention of it. I remember listening to an interview with Tom Lehrer on the Dr. Demento show many years of ago and can't recall him mentioning that. I do remember he pointed out to the doc that he never recieved his PHD. Demento was suprised since he always refered to him as Dr. Tom Lehrer.

--------------------
The views expressed in the above Post does not necessarily reflect those of snopes,The Infopoop Corporation,the Internet or most of society for that matter.

Posts: 2474 | From: Scranton, PA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Happy Moscow
Helga Switzerland

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Happy Moscow   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is also mentioned in the booklet for the box set The Remains of Tom Lehrer

quote:

In 1955 Tom had a different sort of business to take care of -- the U.S. Army. The draft was very much alive during the '50s, and most able-bodied young American men saw military service sooner or later. 'I went into the Army for two years: January 1955 to January 1957. Believe it or not, I enjoyed it ... The only thing I did contribute to the war effort was vodka Jell-O. I was assigned to a naval base, even though I was in the army. We wanted to have a Christmas office party, but the rules forbade all alcoholic "beverages," so a friend of mine and I decided to confront this challenge. Of course there's plum pudding and the like, but you have to eat too much to produce any effect. So she and I experimented with various flavours of Jell-O, various alcoholic ingredients, and various proportions. Obviously, you can't experiment too extensively, because you soon lose your powers of discrimination, but we settled on vodka in orange Jell-O -- same recipe as on the box, only with vodka instead of the cold water. I have heard that daiquiris are good in lime Jell-O. We filled little paper cups with the final product, took them into the base past the guards, and nobody said anything. It was a very nice party.'

--------------------
My blog (and my husband's)
~
'One grows absurdly attached to a potto.' - Patrick O'Brian

Posts: 90 | From: London | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages