snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Food » First meal on the moon -- turkey?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: First meal on the moon -- turkey?
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 23 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I have a question about something my mom asked me today. Was the
first meal eaten on the moon by the Apollo 11 astronauts turkey with all
the fixings? I managed to find several sources on the internet that had
this information, but nothign to confirm it. The other informaiton I found
indicated that the first meal eaten by the astronauts was bacon squares,
peach cereal squares, coffee, grapefruit juice and the like. It seemed
that turkey was a meal option, but not the first meal.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Psihala
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Psihala   E-mail Psihala   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Although it doesn't specifically say 'on the moon', the following NASA article has one paragraph that states:

quote:
During Apollo 11, the astronauts ate two meals. Meal A was bacon squares, peaches, sugar cookie cubes, coffee, and pineapple-grapefruit drink. Meal B included beef stew, cream of chicken soup, date fruitcake, grape punch, and orange drink.
At any rate, the meals on Apollo were mostly dehydrated food-stuff in plastic tubes that were reconstituted with water prior to injesting. I'm not sure, but I don't think either the command or service modules had any way of heating the food (or the water), so a 'turkey dinner with all the fixin's ' on Apollo wouldn't likely have been the way we'd envision it here.

In the post-flight debriefing of Apollo 8 (parts of which can be heard on the spacecraft films documentary of that flight) Frank Boreman and crew generally had not much nice to say about the food. The one exception was a Christmas day broadcast where Jim Lovell described the meal that 'Santy Claus' brought them as 'outstanding'. I think that was a turkey dinner though I'd have to listen to the recording again because I can't remember if he said 'TV' or 'turkey'.

I don't think much changed between December 1968 (Apollo 8) and July 1969 (Apollo 11) with regards to the food preparation.

~Psihala

--------------------
StealthPost™

Posts: 3020 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Psihala:
At any rate, the meals on Apollo were mostly dehydrated food-stuff in plastic tubes that were reconstituted with water prior to injesting. I'm not sure, but I don't think either the command or service modules had any way of heating the food (or the water), so a 'turkey dinner with all the fixin's ' on Apollo wouldn't likely have been the way we'd envision it here.

Great discussion. I just wanted to point out that they did have a way of heating the food on Apollo: hot water! This apparently was not available on previous missions. I didn't read this link yet but it may be helpful:

http://liftoff.msfc.nasa.gov/academy/astronauts/food-history.html

Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if any of the astronauts snuck a bag of ruffles onboard [lol]

-

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VeebleFetzer
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VeebleFetzer   Author's Homepage   E-mail VeebleFetzer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can’t tell you what the first meal the astronauts had on the moon was, but I can tell you the first thing that was eaten on the lunar surface: communion wafer. Buzz Aldrin had taken with him a small flask of wine, some communion wafer and a chalice, and took holy communion by himself in the period between the landing and Armstrong stepping onto the surface.

--------------------
I'd rather be with you people than the finest people in the world!

Posts: 1010 | From: North Tyneside, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VeebleFetzer
We Three Blings

Icon 214 posted      Profile for VeebleFetzer   Author's Homepage   E-mail VeebleFetzer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Psihala:
In the post-flight debriefing of Apollo 8 (parts of which can be heard on the spacecraft films documentary of that flight) Frank Boreman and crew generally had not much nice to say about the food. The one exception was a Christmas day broadcast where Jim Lovell described the meal that 'Santy Claus' brought them as 'outstanding'. I think that was a turkey dinner though I'd have to listen to the recording again because I can't remember if he said 'TV' or 'turkey'.

Just found this in A Man On The Moon by Andrew Chaikin:
quote:
Around midafternoon, the men gave a televised tour of their home away from home. While Anders demonstrated how to prepare a freeze-dried meal in space, Borman told Mike Collins in Houston, “I hope you all had better Christmas dinners than us.” But Borman spoke too soon. When the TV show was over, they discovered a surprise waiting for them in Apollo 8’s food locker, wrapped in foil and tied with red and green ribbons: real turkey with stuffing and cranberry sauce. This was a so-called wetpack meal developed by the military, one of the innovations Borman had fought to keep off the flight. It was also by far the best meal of the voyage. And there was another surprise, courtesy of Father Slayton: three tiny bottles of brandy.
I think this is most likely the (cranberry) source of the OP.

--------------------
I'd rather be with you people than the finest people in the world!

Posts: 1010 | From: North Tyneside, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
splict
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for splict   E-mail splict   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know that this thread is a little old, but for anyone searching, this quiz page on nasa.gov seems to have their answer. America's Journey to the Moon Question 6
quote:

First meal eaten on the moon
Apollo 11 in 1969: The meal consisted of four bacon squares, three sugar cookies, peaches, pineapple-grapefruit drink and coffee

Posts: 1 | From: Tampa, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages