snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Food » Pringles

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pringles
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 23 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I've heard that pringles contain an
ingrediant in them that makes you keep eating them. Is this true?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Traveller
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Traveller     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes! It's called deep fried thinly sliced processed potatoes coated in salt. Highly addictive.
Posts: 374 | From: Georgia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Watch out snopes. I have a sneaking suspicion that ingredient is potatoes. Stop dancing and run away!
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tyrany
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyrany   E-mail Tyrany   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If they do, then I am immune to it.

Just like I am for the addictive ingredient in Unlucky Fried Kitten.

--------------------
Like prunes through a budgie, so are the Days of Our Lives.

Posts: 31 | From: Sid-er-knee, Oztraylia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
me, no really
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me, no really   Author's Homepage   E-mail me, no really   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Fat. I'm sure that fat is addictive

me

--------------------
Check out my handmade pens
Check back often because the page changes often

Posts: 831 | From: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Snafu
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snafu     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard this too.

I typed 'addictive Pringles' into Google, got 13,000 results, but found nothing concrete to back it up.

"Once you pop, you can't stop"

...hmm, wonder if that's a warning of some sort?

Posts: 241 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mastershake
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mastershake   E-mail mastershake   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard the company that makes Pringles started out making tennis balls. Then one day, instead of a shipment of rubber, a shipment of potatoes showed up. But Pringles was a laid back company, so they said "nfbsk it, cut'em up!"

I miss Mitch Hedberg.

--------------------
"Most people don't find me nearly as funny as I find me."

Posts: 55 | From: Philadelphia | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wasn't this mentioned a couple months ago in the MSG thread ("poisoning North America" or similar thread title) or was it only the quip that "there is a reason you can't eat just one?"

(edited for missing negative in quotes)

Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DAnnino
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DAnnino     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pringles=Potato-based crack.

"Hi, I'm Doug, and I'm a Pringles addict"

--------------------
NO BETTER FRIEND, NO WORSE ENEMY
--
"I grok when apes learn to laugh, they'll be people."

Posts: 727 | From: Southeastern Arizona | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kitsune26
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kitsune26     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
All together now-
"Hi Doug!"

I'm a can a week Salt and Vinegar addict. Yourself? [lol]

--------------------
I'm as giddy as a Japanese school girl in an octopus tank.

Posts: 641 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DAnnino
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DAnnino     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Original. [Big Grin]

--------------------
--

Posts: 727 | From: Southeastern Arizona | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pringles = GROSS

I prefer my mashed taters fresh, not compressed and dried-out, thanks.

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DAnnino
The First USA Noel

Well, I can't always bring fresh taters to work.

My all-time favorite way to make potatoes is roasted. I don't peel them and cut them into medium pieces, coat them lightly with olive oil, use a little butter, and season them with salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and a bit of cayenne. Roast until golden, brown, and delicious. Very popular at synagogue pot-lucks (I'll delete the butter then, to keep it pareve).

Yes, I watch Food Network, especially Good Eats.

But I prefer Pringles to Lay's, and prefer Poore Brothers to any other type (but I think Poore Brothers , based in Goodyear AZ, is exclusive to the Southwest).

--------------------
--

DAnnino
The First USA Noel

Oh, I forgot.

MMMMM...Potatoes...Forbidden carbohydrate.... [Smile]

--------------------
--

kendor
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kendor   E-mail kendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mastershake:
I heard the company that makes Pringles started out making tennis balls. Then one day, instead of a shipment of rubber, a shipment of potatoes showed up. But Pringles was a laid back company, so they said "nfbsk it, cut'em up!"

I miss Mitch Hedberg.

Actually, they're made by Procter & Gamble, a soap company in Cincinnati Ohio. (Hold down your shift key when clicking that link)

--------------------
May The Corrs be with you.

Posts: 170 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DAnnino:

My all-time favorite way to make potatoes is roasted. I don't peel them and cut them into medium pieces, coat them lightly with olive oil, use a little butter, and season them with salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and a bit of cayenne. Roast until golden, brown, and delicious. Very popular at synagogue pot-lucks (I'll delete the butter then, to keep it pareve).

Hey, here's a recipe for ya if you want to mix it up some time. I love these Rosemary Potato Wedges (scroll down page, recipe is a little more than halfway down), and they're already pareve. [Big Grin]
Good Eats is the best!

To keep this on topic, I have to mention that I CAN stop once I pop. After eating about 10 Pringles or so I usually start to feel a little bit queasy. I've never finished a whole can. I don't get that feeling with other chips, though.

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joostik
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joostik   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joostik   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kendor:
(Hold down your shift key when clicking that link)

Or maybe you could just use UBB Code?
Posts: 794 | From: Utrecht, Utrecht | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WonderWoman
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WonderWoman   E-mail WonderWoman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mastershake:

I miss Mitch Hedberg.

That was precisely what I thought of when I saw the thread title. I live for Mitch Moments like these.
Posts: 107 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DAnnino
The First USA Noel

Icon 208 posted      Profile for DAnnino     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xia:
quote:
Originally posted by DAnnino:

Hey, here's a recipe for ya if you want to mix it up some time. I love these Rosemary Potato Wedges (scroll down page, recipe is a little more than halfway down), and they're already pareve. [Big Grin]
Good Eats is the best!

To keep this on topic, I have to mention that I CAN stop once I pop. After eating about 10 Pringles or so I usually start to feel a little bit queasy. I've never finished a whole can. I don't get that feeling with other chips, though.

That recipe (in fact, most if them) sounds good. I'll try it out the next chance I get [Big Grin]

--------------------
--

Casey, making hot chocolate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Good Eats people! [Big Grin]

Ca "Eat this rock" sey

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LizzyJingleBells
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 212 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Good eats people?! What kind of sick bastard is this Good! [Eek!]

--------------------
Come on, come on, we were once upon a time in love
If the only prayer you say in your life is thank you, that would suffice. - Meister Eckhart My Blog

Posts: 7725 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlueByrd
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 23 posted      Profile for BlueByrd   Author's Homepage   E-mail BlueByrd   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LizzyBeech:
Good eats people?! What kind of sick bastard is this Good! [Eek!]

In Soviet Russia, potato eats you!

Blue "Grandma's glow-in-the-dark Chernobyl surprise" Byrd

--------------------
"A monster!"
"A local!"

Posts: 831 | From: The standee gallery at a Viennese opera house | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheBeard
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBeard   E-mail TheBeard   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Do Pringles have MSG on them? Thats what came into my head when I read the OP.

--------------------
The name flavour is rumored to have come from Murray Gell-Mann and Harald Fritzsch seeing a shop advertising a large number of flavors of ice-cream during their lunch time, thus underlining the huge importance of cold, dairy-based food in physics.

Posts: 81 | From: Durham, UK | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheBeard:
Do Pringles have MSG on them? Thats what came into my head when I read the OP.

Oh yes and plenty of it... I think it's E-621 but it's late and my memory might be playing tricks...

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wizard of Yendor
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wizard of Yendor   E-mail Wizard of Yendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The regular kind doesn't but the BBQ flavor does.
Posts: 2352 | From: California | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Duchess of URL

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duchess of URL   E-mail Duchess of URL   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think they`ve stopped making the cheese and onion Pringles in the pink canister as I can`t find them anywhere.Krogers used to sell them. Oh well it`s back to my 2nd fave...salt and vinegar.
My first post...hi everyone
[Smile]

--------------------
Veni, Vidi, Visa - I came, I saw, I went shopping

Posts: 33 | From: West Virginia y`all | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singing in the Drizzle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One taste of a Pringle and my tounge quick tells my brian and gage reflexes that this is not real food.
Posts: 597 | From: Bellingham, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I miss Mitch Hedberg.

Me too! I was at his last performance in St. Louis and got awesome pictures of him on my camera phone, then 2 days after he died the screen on my phone broke and I had to get a new one. I hadn't had a chance to save the pictures to my computer [Frown]

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Singing in the Drizzle:
One taste of a Pringle and my tounge quick tells my brian and gage reflexes that this is not real food.

Who are Brian and Gage? [Big Grin] BTW, welcome.

Seriously, I've always liked Pringles and figured the reason I tend to eat more is that because of the packaging, it's less likely to realize how many I've eaten. I can't see myself eating a half bag of chips simply because I don't normally eat a half bag of anything at a sitting, but a stack of Pringles doesn't seem like so much. Might be the same weight and all that, I dunno.

Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think part of it (for me anyway) is that Pringles aren't as greasy feeling as regular chips. Eating something really greasy makes me feel sick and therefore not wanting to eat more. Either that or it's the sweet sweet barbeque flavor. Mmmm, Pringles.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Duchess of URL

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duchess of URL   E-mail Duchess of URL   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I prefer the Lays Stax compared to Pringles anyway...especially the salt and vinegar ones. Maybe there is more MSG in those compared to Pringles because I can`t eat just one
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Veni, Vidi, Visa - I came, I saw, I went shopping

Posts: 33 | From: West Virginia y`all | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kelliehyphen
Squall of Me

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelliehyphen   E-mail kelliehyphen   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard the tennis ball thing too but as a rumour, not a joke, just a few weeks back.
Posts: 527 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Only reason you would want to eat more is because it is psychological. I've learned this in class this Sunday. Few of the factors that I know that cause it is stress, sleep deprivation, anxiety, depression.

There are more, but generally those are a few factors. Sleep deprivation and Stress from work or home are factors to cause you to hunger more as well as in foods "Sugar" overdose. Most foods have too much sugar that it causes you to want more.

You have to eat something that's better for you like Jello sugar free that has no calories to add to your tummy. But be sure that you eat the right amount of calories associated to your diet. Whether you are losing weight or need a few pounds to avoid skin and bones.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joseph Z:
I've learned this in class this Sunday. Few of the factors that I know that cause it is stress, sleep deprivation, anxiety, depression.

You had to go to class on Sunday? There's your stress and sleep deprivation right there.
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joseph Z:
Only reason you would want to eat more is because it is psychological.

Well, no. Sometimes I want to eat more than I should as a side effect of a mild allergic reaction. It is actually, I believe, swelling in the upper gastro-intestinal tract.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages