snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Food » Sprite and bananas

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sprite and bananas
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 95 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I just read a pretty weird story on a couple of message boards, I
just wanted to know if you had heard about this before, the posts say that
mixing a can of sprite and two bananas makes you throw up through your
mouth and nose. Just do a google search for "sprite bananas" and you'll
see this example

www.totse.com/en/bad_ideas/irresponsible_activities/bananasandspri179450.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Auntie Witch
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Auntie Witch   Author's Homepage   E-mail Auntie Witch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about sprite and bananas, but I have an aunt and cousin who both throw up from their noses. The cousin is just two months old. Both have rather, um, large nostrils, so I wonder if it has anything to do with that. I'd never seen it before until I watched the baby spit up one day.

--------------------
"Feel my head! I feel like a puppy!" -My mother
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!
Myspace about my mom, kids

Posts: 3289 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DAnnino
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DAnnino     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
All I got to say is...WHAT THE F^(&!!!!!

Sounds like this guy has no gag reflex or something.

--------------------
NO BETTER FRIEND, NO WORSE ENEMY
--
"I grok when apes learn to laugh, they'll be people."

Posts: 727 | From: Southeastern Arizona | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think if you eat anything as fast as you can and then chug a carbonated beverage, you just might throw up.

But if you eat some pop rocks as fast as you can and then drink a carbonated beverage...well, you know.

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My sister found out that feeding my (then)3 year old son a whole bag of skittles and topping him off with Sprite before taking him on a windy, tummy-grabber road was not good for the interior of her car!

I think that when people thow up through their nose, it is most likely because of the force of the upheaval - if it can't all escape through your throat, it has to come out somewhere. At least that seems to make sense to me, but I have no evidence to support that. Nor am I likely to go searching for any -eeww!

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Anyte
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anyte   E-mail Anyte   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The word you are looking for is "projectile". The sickest, in terms of vomiting, that I have ever been was my junior year of high school. I went to school feeling fine, by 11:00 I felt sick, by noon I'd thrown up twice, the first time through both my nose and mouth. Vomiting through the nose is not an experience I will forget, unfortunately. It burns and if you think vomit smells gross normally.... Gross story short, I couldn't keep down water for the rest of the day. By bedtime I was able to at least drink, without the process reversing, which is probably spared me to the hospital. As for claims of bananas and sprite causing such a reaction, probably not any more likely than any other combination, but I'm not offering to find out for you guys.

Any "at least bananas are soft" te

--------------------
Too broke to pay attention

Posts: 452 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GooglyEyes
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GooglyEyes   E-mail GooglyEyes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, having vomit/puke come out your nose is pretty common. It's disgusting, and at Anyte said, is not something you ever forget between the actual sensation then the lingering smell.

I can also attest that eating anything too fast and too much (much less topping it off with something bubbly) will usually make you cough it up. I used to eat way too fast when I was a little kid and would not gage how hungry I actually was then go play, it would result in an empty tummy. I grew out of that pretty quick, bleh.

Posts: 789 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CornChex
Katrina -na-na-na, -na-na-na-na, hey-hey-hey, goodbye

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornChex   E-mail CornChex   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anyte:
The word you are looking for is "projectile". The sickest, in terms of vomiting, that I have ever been was my junior year of high school. I went to school feeling fine, by 11:00 I felt sick, by noon I'd thrown up twice, the first time through both my nose and mouth. Vomiting through the nose is not an experience I will forget, unfortunately. It burns and if you think vomit smells gross normally.... Gross story short, I couldn't keep down water for the rest of the day. By bedtime I was able to at least drink, without the process reversing, which is probably spared me to the hospital. As for claims of bananas and sprite causing such a reaction, probably not any more likely than any other combination, but I'm not offering to find out for you guys.

Any "at least bananas are soft" te

TMI TMI TMI TMI TMI TMI ALERT!!

Oh, oh, yeah, I have had projectile vometing before, and the after-effects are what are so bad. I blew my nose and carrots came out on the tissue. Then the residue (vomitus) from one's nose drips down the back of one's throat.

Kind of like using vile-smelling clumpy, hydrochloric acid-laced nose drops...

It was so bad I thought I would have to DIE to get better! :-(

Posts: 30 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
InfraPurple
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for InfraPurple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sadly, I know what's worse than projectile vomitting.

TMI This is gross! TMI This is gross! TMI This is gross! TMI This is gross! TMI This is gross! TMI This is gross! TMI This is gross! TMI This is gross! TMI This is gross! TMI This is gross! TMI This is gross! TMI This is gross! TMI This is gross! TMI This is gross! TMI This is gross! TMI This is gross! TMI This is gross! TMI This is gross!

My daughter has had projectile poop....that's not fun. She nailed me at a doctor's visit when she was a newborn while getting her diaper changed after weighing.

--------------------
While I wasn't falling down or anything, gravity and I did have an interesting relationship for a short time. - Purple Iguana

Posts: 715 | From: Kansas | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bach_girl:
I think if you eat anything as fast as you can and then chug a carbonated beverage, you just might throw up.

But if you eat some pop rocks as fast as you can and then drink a carbonated beverage...well, you know.

You mean this?

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Panda_Marie
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
TMI

TMI

TMI

I vomit through my mouth and nose almost everytime time I throw up.

I don't have big nostrols, and I have enlarged tonsils and anoids.

Man...I hate when I have to ralph.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Minstrel gone caroling
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Minstrel gone caroling   Author's Homepage   E-mail Minstrel gone caroling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bananas and Sprite have a reaction when placed together. They cause a lot of fizz. I've never heard of the mixture causing projectile vomiting, but it was a favored trick at my college to dare freshmen or the chronically naive to hold a piece of banana in their mouths, take a drink of Sprite, and try to keep their mouths closed.

I'd call it projectile spewing, but not projectile vomiting.

--------------------
Last year's goat was burned down by vandals dressed up as Santa Claus and the Gingerbread Man. They were never caught.
My blog. The Adventures of the Fish O'Thwacking.
Countdown: 177 days (or less!)

Posts: 4926 | From: NW Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've found that if I hang my head down too low when I'm about to vomit, it will come out through my nose as well. As others have described, it is a thoroughly disgusting experience both in sensation and smell. It leaves chunky, slimy food particles in your nostrils and it burns. The only way I can avoid this is to not face directly down into the toilet or garbage can when I'm about to throw up.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Seeing all these vivid descriptions has led me to wonder how many readers have ended up vomiting themselves. lol

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PASnow
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PASnow   E-mail PASnow   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RelicMan:
Seeing all these vivid descriptions has led me to wonder how many readers have ended up vomiting themselves. lol

------------------------------------------------------

Every time we hang over the toilet on a Saturday morning and say to ourselves "That's it, I quit drinking"!!

Posts: 75 | From: PA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Angel With Wax Wings
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angel With Wax Wings   E-mail Angel With Wax Wings   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah I agree eating anything and then chugging a can of carbonated whatever will make anyone want to throw up. I've NEVER thrown up through my nose *Knock on wood* and I hope for that never to happen...seeing as how I'm an emetophobic.

~Monica

--------------------
"Run for five minutes? Why don't you just shoot me now?"--Comic Book Guy (Simpsons)

Posts: 219 | From: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Angel With Wax Wings
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angel With Wax Wings   E-mail Angel With Wax Wings   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah I agree eating anything and then chugging a can of carbonated whatever will make anyone want to throw up. I've NEVER thrown up through my nose *Knock on wood* and I hope for that never to happen...seeing as how I'm an emetophobic.

~Monica

--------------------
"Run for five minutes? Why don't you just shoot me now?"--Comic Book Guy (Simpsons)

Posts: 219 | From: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Angel With Wax Wings
Deck the Malls

~Monica

--------------------

Angel With Wax Wings
Deck the Malls

~Monica

--------------------

Angel With Wax Wings
Deck the Malls

~Monica

--------------------

Angel With Wax Wings
Deck the Malls

~Monica

--------------------

Avril
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avril     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow. A sextuple post. I've never seen that one before--something wrong with our board here, snopes?

Having had a lot of experience with vomiting (long, unpleasant illness of my junior year in college), the absolute WORST thing to throw up through one's nose is spinach. Spinach is the worst to throw up anyway, but...shudder.

It was a REALLY long time before I could eat spinach again--and I really like spinach!

Avril

--------------------
There is no failure unless one stops. --Ray Bradbury

Posts: 2115 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Steph
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steph   E-mail Steph   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
HAVE YOU GUYS HEARD OF THE GREAT MILK CHALLENGE???
MTV had these guys going around (some band members cant remember who) who dared everyone to chug a gallon of whole milk in 30 mins or less. It was awful!!! Instead of seeing a party of people drinking and having a good time, the camera just went around and around to all these people who were vomiting milk EVERYWHERE!!! Guys, girls, you name it they did it. I think at the very end there was 1 man that was able to keep it down (for a while anyway).

Posts: 56 | From: Sturgis, MI | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spikey
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spikey   E-mail Spikey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CornChex:
I blew my nose and carrots came out on the tissue.

Except that those bits that look like carrots aren't carrots (unless you actually have been eating carrots). They're bits of your stomach lining! Nice!

--------------------
"The fact that "uvula" and "vulva" look and sound similar was just a happy coincidence." - Lainie

Posts: 548 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
HAVE YOU GUYS HEARD OF THE GREAT MILK CHALLENGE???
It was Jackass. Damn near had me worshipping at the altar of the porcelain god before I had the good sense to change channels.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Samantha Vimes
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Samantha Vimes   E-mail Samantha Vimes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Huh? When I was a child, I would drink 4 or 5 glasses of milk at a meal sometimes, and those were 12 oz glasses. Admittedly, that doesn't come out to a gallon but my dad could drink a gallon when he was in high school or college (he was a long distance runner and had a huge appetite).

30 minutes does not require chugging at all. I suspect people were trying too hard. Or were lactose intolerant. I bet I could do it, and I'm terrible for getting sick.

Posts: 457 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages