snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Crime » 10 myths about school shootings

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 10 myths about school shootings
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 402 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here are 10 myths about school shootings, compiled by MSNBC.com from a 2002 study by the US Secret Service and the US Department of Education.

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5492199

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tinakins
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tinakins     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't agree with their analysis for myth number 6. Just because a kid never was acknowledged to being crazy doesn't mean he wasn't.
Posts: 10 | From: San Francisco, California | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
9 and 10 seem the most pertinent to me.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ThistleSquall:
9 and 10 seem the most pertinent to me.

I agree, but I'd also add number eight.

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst í hringi
Höldumst í hendur
Allur heimurinn óskýr
Nema þú stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From my personal experience, number nine is dead on.

My own son was bullied and the school's response was to stick it's head in the sand. I yanked him out of that school, put him in another school whose attitude was "we don't tolerate bullying and we don't care who your daddy is." And he wasn't bullied. UNTIL, one of the kids who bullied him transfered also!! And started up his crap again - only THIS time the bully got in real trouble with the school. And he quit pulling that crap.

(he got eventually sent off to military school, nasty little git...)

Schools CAN make a difference. That old saw about "oh, kids are just that way, watcha gonna do" (delivered witha shrug) is crap. They seem to think they can address and control cheating on tests and other behaviors they dissapprove of, and they don't seem to think they should just shrug it off just because kids still try to do it - bullying is no different. It is just a behavior like every and any other behavior and the environment CAN be made to either discourage it or let it flourish. It can be addressed and mitigated, I've seen it.

My son would never have shot anyone, but these kids who do end up doing that, I really believe much of it could have been avoided if the bullying was widely and effectively addressed in this country instead of teachers and administration turning a blind eye. I'm convinced of it.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snapdragonfly:
Schools CAN make a difference. That old saw about "oh, kids are just that way, watcha gonna do" (delivered witha shrug) is crap. They seem to think they can address and control cheating on tests and other behaviors they dissapprove of, and they don't seem to think they should just shrug it off just because kids still try to do it - bullying is no different. It is just a behavior like every and any other behavior and the environment CAN be made to either discourage it or let it flourish. It can be addressed and mitigated, I've seen it.

Sing it, sister!

When bullying comes from the popular kids in school, I think some administrators simply like those kids better than the quirky ones (like my kid), or identify with them, or want to identify with them. The attitude at DD's school seemed to be that if she'd just stop being so weird, the bullying would stop. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TB Tabby
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I notice that they don't cover the most popular myth: that the violence is solely motivated by a video game, movie, TV show, or rock/rap music. I hope that's because it's been so thoroughly debunked.

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I read a story of someone who was being bullied in school, and when the school admin. found out about it, they suspended the guy being bullied. Why? They were worried he might shoot back. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 304 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doug4.7:
I read a story of someone who was being bullied in school, and when the school admin. found out about it, they suspended the guy being bullied. Why? They were worried he might shoot back. [Roll Eyes]

When I was in 7th grade I was threatened with a pocket knife. The year before a boy had been murdered on the city's other Jr High campus by a classmate with a pocket knife. I was very scared and went to the nurse so I could go home. She refused to let me call my parents and I got sent to the principal for arguing. The principal sent me home for being disrespectful. Nothing happened to the girl who threatened me because "there was no proof."

Two weeks later she and three or four of her friends beat me up for telling on her. I didn't trust the administration so I was going to keep it to myself but was found crying and bruised in the bathroom. The school counselor allowed the girl to scream in my face, reprimanded me for interrupting her (trying to make her stop calling me names) and finally said it was my choice whether or not she was suspended. She had already been told she would be expelled if she got another suspension. Because I knew her friends would come after me I was bullied by her and the counselor to let her get away with everything.

I hope policies have changed in that district since then, but what happened to me happened while a "zero tolerance" policy was in place.

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 16 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Starla:
quote:
Originally posted by Doug4.7:

When I was in 7th grade I was threatened with a pocket knife. The year before a boy had been murdered on the city's other Jr High campus by a classmate with a pocket knife. I was very scared and went to the nurse so I could go home. She refused to let me call my parents and I got sent to the principal for arguing. The principal sent me home for being disrespectful. Nothing happened to the girl who threatened me because "there was no proof."

Two weeks later she and three or four of her friends beat me up for telling on her. I didn't trust the administration so I was going to keep it to myself but was found crying and bruised in the bathroom. The school counselor allowed the girl to scream in my face, reprimanded me for interrupting her (trying to make her stop calling me names) and finally said it was my choice whether or not she was suspended. She had already been told she would be expelled if she got another suspension. Because I knew her friends would come after me I was bullied by her and the counselor to let her get away with everything.

I hope policies have changed in that district since then, but what happened to me happened while a "zero tolerance" policy was in place.

[flame] That's so awful Starla.

I really can't understand that attitude. I was also bullied at school (but not to that extent) and I imagine it could cause some kids to react violently.

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst í hringi
Höldumst í hendur
Allur heimurinn óskýr
Nema þú stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The lackadaisical attitude towards bullying bothers me a great deal. Besides the obvious and pressing concern for the victims of bullies, bullying in childhood could be an indicator of abuse of the bully, and it is a good indicator that the child will continue to be violent and/ or aggressive as he or she grows up. It is not just run of the mill childhood meanness.

I think school officials who turn a blind eye or otherwise enable bullying are in terribly denial about how serious it is. They don't want to address the causes of the bullying because it might get them entangled with the bully's parents, who are probably also bullies. Meanwhile the victims are living in constant fear, and the bully is not getting help for whatever is happening in his or her life. It's negligence in my opinion.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree wholeheartedly with ThistleSquall. I really think it's a subject that needs addressing, within our schools and by society as a whole.

One of the reasons I have a hard time hating perpetrators of violent crimes, even though I can think their acts are horrific, and my heart breaks for their victims, is that inside these people, I believe, is an abused child. And bullying, is at the very heart of abuse.

We need to figure out how to stop the cycles.

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
PikeyQueen- I should clarify my story a little bit. The "threatened with a knife" part sounded worse than it really was. In P.E. we were jogging and I almost stepped on an open pocket knife. I picked it up so no one would get hurt and jogged it over to the coach. The field was used for non-school activities so I figured someone lost it over the weekend. Back in the locker room, as I was half dressed, Girl and three of her friends approached me, backed me into the lockers and read me the riot act. It was her knife, she'd thrown it at someone. She was convinced I told the coach it was hers. She was inches from my face, telling me that if anyone found out it was hers, she'd bring another knife tomorrow and wait for me after school. I walked home from school every day, so I was terrified. Trying to act brave, I said something about not knowing it was hers until she told me, but inside I wanted to vomit.

So, she didn't pull a knife on me, but she threatened to and had already proven she would bring a knife to school. Not that it makes it much better. Even though most threats aren't carried out, IMO schools should actively teach students that threats are not okay and will not be allowed. They should always be taken seriously.

I do often wonder how her life turned out. She was a very troubled girl, very unhappy. Later in the year she gave me a sincere Valentine's Day card and apologized for "being bitchy" to me.

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TB Tabby
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
After the horror stories this thread has produced, I think we could use some good news:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,1262465,00.html

quote:
Mr Lewis said: "Bullying is not acceptable, it's not character-building, it's not part of the rough and tumble of growing up ...
Would it sound unappreciative if I said, "It's about NFBSKin' time someone got it?"

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am curious about who is spreading these "myths."
Did someone just make them up to debunk them? Was it merely a way to tell a story?

For instance:
quote:
Myth No. 4. "He hadn't threatened anyone."
Too much emphasis is placed on threats. Most attackers did not threaten, and most threateners did not attack. A child who talks of bringing a gun to school, or seeking revenge on teachers or classmates, poses a threat, whether or not a threat is made.

I'm not sure what to make of it. It cites as a myth that the shooter hadn't threated anyone, then says that most shooters don't make threats beforehand. Huh?

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RubyMoon
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RubyMoon   E-mail RubyMoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pogue Mahone:
I am curious about who is spreading these "myths."
Did someone just make them up to debunk them? Was it merely a way to tell a story?

For instance:
quote:
Myth No. 4. "He hadn't threatened anyone."
Too much emphasis is placed on threats. Most attackers did not threaten, and most threateners did not attack. A child who talks of bringing a gun to school, or seeking revenge on teachers or classmates, poses a threat, whether or not a threat is made.

I'm not sure what to make of it. It cites as a myth that the shooter hadn't threated anyone, then says that most shooters don't make threats beforehand. Huh?

Pogue

I think that is worded badly is all. I think it's talking about how after the fact all the friends and family are saying "But he never threatened anyone" because they beleive the other shooters did threaten others.
Sort of like if I shot up my office one day and my MIL would say, "She never played violent vidio games". That would be an indication that she believed the myth that all the other shooters did play such games.

Posts: 280 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages