snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Crime » Blue hankerchief signifies willing rape victim?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blue hankerchief signifies willing rape victim?
Iliana
Inquiring Mind

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Iliana     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend told me recently that he'd heard that in some city (he thought it might be L.A. or Seattle), if you wear a blue hankerchief, it signifies that you are willing to be raped and will play along completely.

This sounds to me like an urban legend, but I couldn't find anything on Snopes about it. Anyone heard of this?

Posts: 2 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I seem to remember in the past reading that in the gay community in LA, that if you wore one of those clip-on key fobs that attach to your belt loops, the side one wore it on indicated your preferences (active/passive) Don't know if it's true.

I hope we are talking about a bedroom rape game here, rather than an actual rape. Because I can't think that anyone would want to go along with that.

Anyway, just in case, if I ever visit LA or Seattle, I will remember to bring only my not blue handkerchiefs.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
1958Fury

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1958Fury   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oooh, I can just hear the defense lawyer now. "She was asking for it, Your Honor! She was wearing a blue handkerchief!"

I understand the bedroom game, but "willing rape victim" still sounds like a major oxymoron.... if you're willing, it's not rape.

--------------------
I believe I'm growing skeptical of cynicism.
Myspace NWN Board

Posts: 917 | From: Nashville TN | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well to be fair, we are still awaiting the first test case for the 'blue handkerchief' defense.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This doesn't seem practical as a blue handkerchief isn't something that's guaranteed not to be worn by an innocent bystander. The only thing I can think of that this would be practical with is a big sign saying "I would like to be raped."

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MissEltoe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissEltoe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds like a spin of the gang-initiation-headlights-game.... (It might be a stretch but stay with me)

Around here (and I'm sure elsewhere) it was only "Bloods" that were doing the headlight thing, and in LA there are a lot of Crips (who wear blue).

It just sounds like some variation on who and what is involved. (Just MHO)

--------------------
Licorice of the Lord! This is classy stuff...Should I be wearing a tie? Or, at least, pants?
~I'mNotDedalus

Posts: 975 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
1958Fury

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1958Fury   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember a bit on the Straight Dope about the handkerchief code, but it was written in 1982 and even then it admits that the info is out of date:

quote:
There are certain items you can wear to tip people off to your sexual preference, but for the most part they're only useful if you're gay. For instance, there was (or there was at one time) an almost comically elaborate handkerchief code, which you used to find printed up and posted in gay hangouts and sex shops. Hanky in the left back pocket signified a dominant, the right pocket a submissive. Yellow means you're into water sports (get it?), red means fisting, green means you expect payment, and so on. Keys and at one time earrings serve(d) a similar purpose. I'm told that in L.A. if you show up with a teddy bear it means you want to be cuddled. To each his own.
No mention about "willing rape", but this was more than 20 years ago.

--------------------
I believe I'm growing skeptical of cynicism.
Myspace NWN Board

Posts: 917 | From: Nashville TN | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard

Or a big sign saying "My blue handkerchief is purely for the purposes of decoration and/or wiping my nose. Please do NOT confuse me with other blue handkerchief wearers."

--------------------

mommyrex
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mommyrex     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I recently read a reference in a friend's journal to "flagging" with a particular hanky, but I didn't really know what it meant.

Google found me this (NFBSK) hanky code with brief history. And Wikipedia has an entry.

You'd want to be sure everyone involved could tell the difference between, say, "coral" and "apricot."

--------------------
We also ask that you follow the guidelines above and try not to over-think these guidelines.
- the transportation safety administration's permitted and prohibited items air travel list

Posts: 240 | From: Kansas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From the Wikipedia entry:

quote:
Sandalwood = Carpenter Sex
WTF? (Uh, literally)

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Iliana
Inquiring Mind

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Iliana     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just for the record, I agree that there is no such thing as "willing rape" and I'm also reminded of the "gang-initiation-headlights-game". I just wanted some documentation I could show to my friend to prove it wasn't true.
Posts: 2 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CitizenAim
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CitizenAim   Author's Homepage   E-mail CitizenAim   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That hanky code seems ripe for all kinds of mix-ups--I mean, "Robin's Egg Blue"? It was supposed to be "Light Blue"--I'm not really into light S&M [Eek!]
Posts: 146 | From: Columbia, SC | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Happy Llama
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Happy Llama     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
These codes are far more commonly found at play parties or S&M conventions than on the street. But they do exist and are still in use at some fetish clubs or swinger groups.

BTW Carpenter Sex = Flat as a board and easy to nail. At least in my experience.

~~~~~~~~~~

Happy Llama

Posts: 30 | From: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BamaRainbow
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BamaRainbow   E-mail BamaRainbow   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
To CitizenAim:
The hanky code is actually a varied one. Over the years in fact, the code in one city might differ (not too seriously, though) from another. The basics tended to mean the same thing, but the more fetishistic codes were more likely to vary. But if I recall correctly, the first hanky code I ever read listed some colors as having different meanings depending on where you were--the code was used by gay men in different parts of the world with the colors signifying different things (I don't recall specifically, but light blue could mean something different when worn in Paris, London, New York City or LA--even the "right" and "left" wearing occasionally differed.)
The site listed in Mommyrex's post includes a picture of how the hanky should be worn to attract the desired interest. Basically, if the hanky was just stuffed into a pocket, the hankywearer was likely not going to get any action.
Now, as for the notion of "willing rape", there IS such a thing. It's typically nothing more than a form of fantasy/role play (with the "victim" being allowed a "safe word" if he/she thinks things are getting too out of control). The understanding is that both parties are consenting to a very specific form of S&M sexplay (yes, it is a form of S&M as the "victim" frequently accepts being slapped or otherwise physically abused). I've seen ads placed by some gay men who say they'll be in a hotel with their door open (or just unlocked) and anyone who wants to can come in and just have sex with them with no chat or even seeing the "intruder". This differs somewhat from an "open-door policy" at a bathhouse or sexclub because in those settings absolutely no hint of violence is permitted--unless it's an S&M club, where the violence is still strictly monitored--while the ads have more than hinted at violence within certain limits as being acceptable. It should be noted that rape is a frequent fantasy among many women and gay men (think of how popular General Hospital became during the early 1980s in spite of Luke's raping Laura--for crying out loud, the two got married on the show in one of the highest-rated episodes of any soap opera). This obviously doesn't mean any of these people would ever want to be the victim of a real rape. But fantasy is safe, and many people will willingly read a rape story and get turned on by it without ever wanting to experience the real event.
To Cervus Nippon: Carpenter sex simply means having sex with carpenters, handymen, woodworkers, etc. (It can also refer to construction workers in some cases.) It's no different than looking for military guys or cops or businessmen or cowboys (or being one of those sought "types").

Posts: 20 | From: Montgomery, AL | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember reading about this in my college communication class occuring in San Fransisco in the Gay Communities there. I might have the location wrong and I dont have the boiok anymore (i think)

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A blue hanky might also mean that you're Crippin'. Trying to rape her might result in some retaliation.

Demon "hey, why is that car with no headlights slowing down?" Wolf

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard

Er Crippin'? What is that? Excuse me I'm old. Is that the procedure described here?

http://3quarksdaily.blogs.com/3quarksdaily/2006/07/lives_of_the_ca.html

If so, then I should be able to avoid the retaliation, with the advantage of my intact bones.

--------------------

Midgard_Dragon

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If I'm not mistaken, blue is the color of the gang that calls themselves The Crips. So Demon Wolf's post was meant to imply if you rape someone with a blue hanky, you could be raping a member of The Crips, and be due some retaliation in the form of street brawling and/or death. Although, I'm fairly sure gangs aren't using hankies to identify themselves. [Razz]

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard

Okay, thank you Midgard_Dragon. That makes sense. In this case google was not my friend.

Edited: Sorry, spelt your screen name incorrectly. [Embarrassed]

--------------------

DemonWolf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Midgard_Dragon:
Although, I'm fairly sure gangs aren't using hankies to identify themselves. [Razz]

Actually, they often use bandanas, worn on the head, arm, leg, etc, as well as other articles of clothing. Bandanas are often used as hankies, so it is likely that a person might confuse the two.

Also, the OP listed LA as one possible location for the rumor's origin and IIRC, the Crips are rather large there.

So, putting two and two together, a person in LA with a blue hanky may be associated with some people that you really don't want to piss off.

See wiki, which includes a pic of the bandana.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Both of the lists linked by mommyrex included a code for "Drag Queen".

Shouldn't at least an active (or "top") drag queen be obvious without any colour code? And where does he/she put the hanky - most drag queen outfits I've seen don't sport back pockets?

To me, these lists look like something that started as a real "tool of the trade" with some colours (yellow and red, probably), but got expanded to the point of nonsense later.

But then again, how would I know?

Don Enrico

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MissEltoe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissEltoe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Demonwolf, this is absolutely accurate.

Once during my frequent jaunts to Manhattan I had a red bandana on, but after I got my hair done I took it off and folded it and stuck it in my back pocket.

I didn't think anything of it, but some guy started harassing me asking me if I was a blood.

Edited for clarification.

--------------------
Licorice of the Lord! This is classy stuff...Should I be wearing a tie? Or, at least, pants?
~I'mNotDedalus

Posts: 975 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MissE:
Demonwolf, this is absolutely accurate.

Once during my frequent jaunts to Manhattan I had a red bandana on, but after I got my hair done I took it off and folded it and stuck it in my back pocket.

I didn't think anything of it, but some guy started harassing me asking me if I was a blood.

Edited for clarification.

You're just lucky someone didn't ask if they could fist you or if you could fist them (depending, of course, on which side you were wearing the kerchief).

Ryda "mine goes on the right" Wong

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mommyrex:
You'd want to be sure everyone involved could tell the difference between, say, "coral" and "apricot."

must ... resist ... obvious joke about gay stereotype

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages