snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Crime » Visine knock-out drops

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Visine knock-out drops
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 81 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Students of mine reported that Visine is being used to cause
people to black-out, presumably in order to rape the unconcscious person.
Are there reports of people misusing Visine in this way?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
martin-at-work
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for martin-at-work   E-mail martin-at-work   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
People may conceal GHB in visine bottles.
link to PDF
another link

Posts: 183 | From: Brisbane, Oz. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dropbear
Angels from the Realms so Glurgy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dropbear     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This story in the Sydney Morning Herald last year relates.

A bit of googling on the active ingredient of Visine:tetrahydrozoline not only brings up snopes as a reference but gives some data sheets that suggest the stuff is neuro-toxic and highly dangerous to ingest.

Dropbear

--------------------
" The villagers had said justice had been done, and she'd lost patience and told them to go home, then, and pray to whatever gods they believed in that it was never done to them. -- (Terry Pratchett)

Posts: 823 | From: Hobart, Tasmania | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
callee
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for callee         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a CSI las vegas episode about this, if I remember correctly. The plot involved a waittress who added visine drops to the drink of a bad tipper.

--------------------
a moment for old friends now estranged, victims of the flux of alliances and changing perceptions. There was something there once, and that something is worth honoring as well. - John Carroll

Posts: 3375 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Latiam
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Latiam   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This has actually been used at least twice in CSI.
In the pilot, a stripper who had put scopalamine (is that how you spell it?) on her nipples to incapacitate and rob a client absorbs some of it into her bloodstream and crashes her car. Nick Stokes figures it out (this is the stripper he eventually gets involved with right before she's strangled). It's concealed in a Visine bottle.
In the aforementioned episode, it's actually Visine in the bottle and she's trying to make him crap his pants. He dies from an unrelated condition.

ETA: Yes, these are both the original CSI. It's the only one I watch.

--------------------
Good morning Starshine! The Earth says hello.

Posts: 119 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages