snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Techno-Babble » Wireless Adapter Turning Itself Off?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wireless Adapter Turning Itself Off?
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 208 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I recently got a Dell Inspiron E1405 notebook, which so far I've loved . . . with one exception.

My WIFI keeps turning itself off! Sometimes I will be websurfing, other times I won't be doing anything at all, and my WIFI indicator light goes out for no reason at all.

The adapter in question is an Intel Pro Wireless mini-card. Windows says there are no issues with the card, and indicate it's operating correctly. Dell Diagnostics also shows it is operating correctly. I also made sure to uncheck the option to have the system deactivate it to save energy.

If I try to enable the network connection, it attempts to do so but fails. The Intel Pro Wireless program tells me to enable the adapter at the bottom of the screen, but shows that it's already enabled. Switching from enabled to disabled and then back again does not do anything. Using the "fn" function to turn WIFI off and back on likewise does not remedy the situation.

I went through the Dell help wizard thingy but it went off on a tangent about connectivity issues that had nothing to do with the problem. I do NOT want to have a chat with a Dell represenative for fear of going around in circles with them as well.

For clarification: The indicator light is this light above the keyboard that illuminates when WIFI is active. When this light goes out, so does my ability to use WIFI. I'm starting to wonder if it's some sort of software glitch, as all signs are pointing to the adapter being perfectly fine. I even tried updating the driver for it, but with no success.

There's no set time limit for it turning off, either. Sometimes I can be on the internet for up to half an hour before it disconnects, other times it turns off within minutes of starting/rebooting the computer.

Can anybody help???? [Frown]

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
James G.
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James G.   Author's Homepage   E-mail James G.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mum had a similar problem and it turned out that she accidently kept pressing a switch on the laptop which turned it off. You may want to just look over your laptop for any switched that may have the required effect, particularly along the sides or front of the case. In the situation with my Mum's laptop the button doubled up as an indicator light, so bear that in mind. (Your user manual may be able to help if its not immediately obvious)

If it causes you problems you should be able to disable the effects of the switch.

--------------------
This is a public service announcement. The board is moving. Check Announcements Photos[/URL]

Posts: 1302 | From: Edinburgh, UK (Currently Nr. Swindon, UK) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just had a quick look around the sides but found no switch. [Frown] That would have been lovely if that's all it was!

I do appreciate you posting the suggestion, though. [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Try the power save features, both in Windows and the BIOS. Check the PCI bus and the IRQ assigned to the WIFI, or do it the simple way and just turn off anyting that looks like power save features (at least for testing).

I had exactly the same problem with a wireless device, took me over a week to figure it out.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Whilst checking the IRQ and whatnot like you suggested, I noticed a couple of power-related settings I had not noticed before and adjusted them accordingly. I then enjoyed a couple HOURS of web surfing! It seems to be fixed now *knocks on all the wood he can find in the midwest*.

Thanks for steering me in the right direction! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm just happy that I can spare someone else the irritation it took for me to figure it out.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages