snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Techno-Babble » Certain websites unable to load..?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Certain websites unable to load..?
Mickey Blue
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey Blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Recently, as in the past few days, certain websites will no longer load on my computer where they will load on other computers.

Many others work, for example I am posting here now so snopes.com clearly works, but others, for example "Gamespot.com" don't, they just don't load, dosn't say I'm blocked or anything else, just says it cannot find them.

Anybody ever have this happen before? Anybody know a cure?

Thanks

--------------------
"All people are responsible for the good that they didn't do"

Posts: 4774 | From: Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SoToasty
Flock to malls with boughs of cash

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoToasty   E-mail SoToasty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My DW has this problem on hers occasionally. Try clearing the cache on IE. Then hers works no problem.

On IE goto the Tools Menu
Select Internet Options.
Select Delete Files

--------------------
Wherever ya go, there ya are.

Posts: 816 | From: Florida | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
First of all, clear the cache. Most problems go away with that simple procedure.

Will it work on other computers at the same location. If not, it may be a bad DNS server somewhere, which usually clear up within three days or so.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Turban Man
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Turban Man     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Uggh, that has been hapening to me recently and it can be VERY frusturating. Ima gunna try the stuff you guys said.

TurbanMan

--------------------
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T,

Posts: 140 | From: Hollywood, Florida | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Derek Potter
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Derek Potter     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Another *big* problem that can cause this is Web sites that are simply badly written and rely on:

Browser identification
Client side scripts
Plug-ins
Magic features in IE that talk to the server privately

... any of which are liable to be turned on or off according to your security preferences and which should therefore result in "graceful degradation" if you have disabled or altered them. Regrettably, the majority of sites don't cater for anything other than the freebie that comes with Windows, in its out-of-the-box state. So they simply crash, or, at best, give you a *******ing for having the wrong browser, when the problem is actually incompetent web authoring.

This bbs, for example, relies on Javascript but fails to warn the user if they have disabled it (a good move usually, to stop all sorts of pop-ups and redirects). The capacity to deal with disabled scripting is built into HTML and every browser. Of course there is no need for a bbs to have client-side scripting anyway; it should all work perfectly well with bog-standard forms which have been part of HTML since we came out of the trees. Scripts should only be used for optional "enhancements"... anyone reading this out there?

Banks are the worst though, their home-made security measures are often laughable and merely serve to hinder legitimate access while doing little to stop criminal activity. Their security features often require you to reduce your security levels to use the site.

There's a nice rant about this here:
http://evpc.biz/personal/soapbox/morons_in_webspace

Posts: 1 | From: Somerset, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jimmy101
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimmy101   E-mail jimmy101   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Good points Derek Potter, those are pet peaves of mine. Heck, some of the Wall Street Journal pages no longer works with Netscape!

The thing that really gets me is that 9 times out of 10 the wisbang-non-standard functionality doesn't actually do anything of use. Like when you visit a web site that insists on loading a flash animation on their first page. Pleeeeease, I can do without the animated dancing sun glases!

Posts: 629 | From: Greenwood, IN | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages