snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Techno-Babble » Setting off metal detectors

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Setting off metal detectors
DemonWolf
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 206 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Now from what I understand, a metal detector operats by setting up a magnetic feild and when a ferris metal (made with iron) passes through the feild is disrupted and the alarm goes off.

Following that logic, copper, lead, and other non-ferris metals should pass through undetected. So why does my brass belt buckle set off the metal detector? Why does the bullet in my friends arm set it off? Bullets are made of lead, lead should pass through, right? I've also heard of people detcting gold with hand-held units (treasure hunters, etc.).

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrekkerScout
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrekkerScout     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, any metal can set off a metal detector. When any metal passes through a magnetic field, an electrical current is generated in that piece of metal. The induced electrical current in turn creates its own magnetic field. It is this second magnetic field that is being detected by the metal detector. It is all based on Faraday's law of induction. Ferris metals just have the characteristic of being able to create larger magnetic fields than non-ferris metals and are therefore easier to detect.
Posts: 306 | From: Tacoma, WA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kmcm
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kmcm   Author's Homepage   E-mail kmcm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know titanium doesn't set it off. I've been thru many a metal detector and it hasn't set it off at all.

--------------------
Of course this land is dangerous! All of the animals are capably murderous. Especially the penguins.

i'm a figment of my own imagination, sometimes i don't exist

Posts: 1099 | From: Kitsap County, WA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks TrekkerScout. That makes alot of sense. I had wonder if perhaps it was simply far more common to add iron to other metals than I had previously thought.
For example, lead is pretty soft. Adding iron to the lead would make a stronger alloy, and in the case of a bullet, cause more damage or allow for better penetration.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
shivaskeeper
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shivaskeeper   E-mail shivaskeeper   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I know titanium doesn't set it off. I've been thru many a metal detector and it hasn't set it off at all.
It depends on how much Ti you have in you. At one point, for about 18 months, I had enough in my hand to set of full body scanners and hand-helds.

Greg

ETA: A sig. Because leaving a message without a name is just bad manners.

Posts: 7 | From: Yelm, WA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrekkerScout
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrekkerScout     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kmcm:

Titanium can set off a metal detector if either you have a large enough quantity (as shivaskeeper has stated) or the sensitivity of the detector is increased. Many metal detectors are set at a level that they won't be set off when small quantities of non-ferris metals (such as common jewelry metals like titanium, gold, and silver) pass through. However, I've been through detectors sensitive enough that the zipper in my blue jeans has set off the alarm.
Posts: 306 | From: Tacoma, WA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Goombah
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Goombah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kmcm:

I know that my sister's prosthetic knees will set off detectors. To be fair though, I don't honestly know if her implants are made from titanium, stainless or compressed oatmeal.

--------------------
Ok guys, try to remember this time. It's pillage first, then burn.

Posts: 179 | From: Holdrege, NE | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Any material that is an electric conductor will set it off.

Basically, the detector is an inductive loop that is pulsing at a certain frequency, creating a weak alternating magnetic field. This, in turn, creates eddy currents on the surface of conductive materials (which usually are metals) which changes the inductance of the loop. This change causes the frequency of the loop to change, which can be detected.

This sounds complicated, but the electronics behind it is really simple, basically it is just a resonant feedback loop.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wee nitpick: Guys, metals with iron are "ferrous". Ferris is that kid who took off school to borrow his dad's car or the giant wheel you ride at the fair.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
A Cat Named Easter
Catfish on a Hot Tin Roof

Icon 203 posted      Profile for A Cat Named Easter     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to nitpick a little bit more, Ferris and his friends borrowed Cameron's dad's car.

A Cat ~only the greatest movie EVER~ Named Easter

--------------------
I am the death that walks the night.
I am the bringer of dreamless sleep.

Posts: 196 | From: Newly relocated to Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kmcm
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kmcm   Author's Homepage   E-mail kmcm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How odd, I have a rod from hip to knee (about 15") with three screws to hold it. It has never set anything off. Wierd.

I was mad because it's not magnetic, and therefore, i couldn't stick fridge magnets to my leg.

km-when you can't walk for 4 months you amuse yourself-cm

--------------------
Of course this land is dangerous! All of the animals are capably murderous. Especially the penguins.

i'm a figment of my own imagination, sometimes i don't exist

Posts: 1099 | From: Kitsap County, WA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages