snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Techno-Babble » What are the odds of rolling a Yahtzee in one go?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What are the odds of rolling a Yahtzee in one go?
DiRTY_ViNYLPUSHER
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 203 posted      Profile for DiRTY_ViNYLPUSHER   E-mail DiRTY_ViNYLPUSHER   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That is something we asked ourselves the other night as we were having a game.
It happens - you roll all 5 dice and get a yahtzee.

So, I was wondering if there are any mathematicians out there who can tell me what the odds are of doing that.
Getting the same value on all 5 dice in one roll.
Surely there must be some way of calculating that possibility?

I'm new to the message boards on this site, so I hope I'm in the right board.

Thanks.

Posts: 2 | From: Mackay, Australia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bassist
Chess Nuts Boasting 'Round an Open Fire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bassist   E-mail Bassist   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Five dice, all the same number:

Let's assume you're throwing all of them sequentially, rather than at the same time. The calculations are easier to explain (though it's the identical answer - just easier to conceptualize).

First die - doesn't matter what you throw, because we're going to calculate what it would take to get the other four to match it. This way, we will calculate the odds for ANY Yatsee (any of the six possible ones), not just a single one.

Second die - has a 1/6 chance of matching the first one.

Third die - has a 1/6 chance of matching the first one, and a 1/6 * 1/6, or 1/36 chance of matching both of the first ones.

Continuing on, the chance that the fifth die will match all of the previous four dice is 1/6 * 1/6 * 1/6 * 1/6, or 1/1296.

Therefore, the odds of getting a Yatsee in a single throw is 1/1296, or about 0.08%.

Glad to be of service, DV!

--------------------
"I'm singing and deranged!"

Posts: 239 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DiRTY_ViNYLPUSHER
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DiRTY_ViNYLPUSHER   E-mail DiRTY_ViNYLPUSHER   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the fast reply.

It all makes sense when someone spells it out like that.

--------------------
?DONDE ESTA EL GUACAMOLE?

Posts: 2 | From: Mackay, Australia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Myshkin
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myshkin     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So the odds of rolling a yahtzee of any particular number in one roll are 1/1296 * 1/6 = 1/7776 or about .012%, correct?

To complicate the question further, what are the odds of scoring a yahtzee on one's turn (3 rolls)?

Do you sum the odds for all the particular ways that it could happen? E.g. the odds of rolling on the first throw (1/1296)+ the odds of having two match on the first throw then throwing all three matches on the second + etc.

Posts: 741 | From: Big Bend, Texas | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Myshkin:
So the odds of rolling a yahtzee of any particular number in one roll are 1/1296 * 1/6 = 1/7776 or about .012%, correct?

To complicate the question further, what are the odds of scoring a yahtzee on one's turn (3 rolls)?

Do you sum the odds for all the particular ways that it could happen? E.g. the odds of rolling on the first throw (1/1296)+ the odds of having two match on the first throw then throwing all three matches on the second + etc.

Question 1: yep: (1/6) ^ 5

Question 2: you have to add up a whole bunch of possibilities. You *might* roll all five dice the same on your first roll: The initial subtotal is: (1/6) ^ 4

If not, then you have to start breaking down individual cases.

Case 1: you rolled four of a kind. Unfortunately, there are five different ways to do this, so the odds are 5 * (1/6) ^ 3. (Call this X4.) You might match it up with your next roll, so add X4 * 1/6 to the running subtotal. However, you might miss, and then catch it on your second try. So add X4 * 5/6 * 1/6 to the subtotal.

etc. etc.

Lotta cases.

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrekkerScout
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrekkerScout     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Myshkin:

The Wizard of Odds has calculated the odds of rolling a Yahtzee in 3 rolls to be 4.6028643%.
Posts: 306 | From: Tacoma, WA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages