snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Techno-Babble » What do 'raw' diamonds look like?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What do 'raw' diamonds look like?
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 605 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's this series of radio ads for a local jewellry store that has scenarios of ordinary people making extrodinary discoveries: South African shepherds, kids playing, etc. Suddenly they discover the most incredible diamond field in the history of man!
It's got me to thinking: what DO uncut, unpolished diamonds look like? Obviously they have to be cut and polished in order to bring out their full luster, but is there something about a diamond that catches the eye? A glint, a shape, etc? Could a layman spot an uncut diamond or does it take an experienced diamond miner/gemologist? BTW, I think those ads are SO dorky!

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They're not particularly exciting to look at raw - as you say, they have to be cut and polished, like any gemstone, to bring out their adamantine lustre. They're usually yellowish, and a bit greasy looking. If you didn't know what it was you were looking at, you probably wouldn't notice it really. They also don't very often show their crystal form, although off the top of my head I can't remember what that is! Here are some images:

http://www.mythinglinks.org/diamondRaw~8_2Carats~Beechworth_Victoria_AU~diam.jpg

http://www.roughdiamondreview.com/library/rough1.jpg

http://www.diamondrough.com/images/rough-diamond.jpg

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This here's the world's largest uncut diamond, found in Sierra leone.

Giant Sefadu

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This article has an image of an uncut diamond at the bottom.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/2006110.stm

Google image search is your friend! [Smile]

Dang! Spanked by Jay Tea, oh well, I can think of worse things. [Wink]

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Did somebody say "Spank" ? [lol]

--------------------

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh great. I could have been walking over diamonds half my life and never knew it. They look like regular old, crappy rocks.

Relic "Bending over a diamond to pick up a quartz" Man

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

My Uncle was part of the team that mapped location of the Argle Diamond pipe in Australia, and in doing so literally picked up alluvial diamonds from dammed creek beds where they lay.

In addition to being the world's biggest diamond producer and only reliable supply of intense pink diamonds, the Argyle diamond mine is unique in a third way: the diamonds are recovered from a host rock call lamproite, not kimberlite which, as you all know, is the traditional host. Interestingly, my Uncle made his money in Opals...

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages