snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » Dr. Phil and the creator of Bum Fights.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dr. Phil and the creator of Bum Fights.
TheBobo
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 208 posted      Profile for TheBobo   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheBobo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just caught this on Thatvideosite. I was wondering if he kicked him off because he really found him vile or because he was physically immitating him?
Did this show air? If it did then Dr. Phil is an asshat. He just gave free publicity to a guy who makes something that isn't to far off from a snuff film.

--------------------
The views expressed in the above Post does not necessarily reflect those of snopes,The Infopoop Corporation,the Internet or most of society for that matter.

Posts: 2474 | From: Scranton, PA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Yleemjseg
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yleemjseg   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw that episode, but only from after the commercials that followed that segment. They only referred to "the guy i just kicked off the stage".
It did look a little staged, as though Dr. Phil just intended to do that all along. Really, instead of saying, after he left, that the guy was performing desipcable acts, he should have told him to his face that. It would have been better had he let the Bum Fight guy know why he was a total piece of crap, rather than just showing his intro video then sending him away.
Now all that guy gets out of it is "Dr. Phil's a jerk." I don't know how much the guy would have gotten out of being reasoned with, since he either doesn't seem to think the homeless count as real people, or he does, but doesn't have enough empathy to care, but i think one should at least try to explain it to him, if not to say that you actually made an effort to reach the guy and bring him back into the human race.

The next guest was a woman whose homeless brother was beaten to death. I only wonder if the Bum Fight guy would have been able to put forth any sympathy for her.

And the Bum Fight guy did look kind of stupid trying to sort a Dr. Phil haircut.

Posts: 225 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Randa Roo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Randa Roo   E-mail Randa Roo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I Tivo'd it and watched it just last night, and the guy never even got to say anything before Dr. Phil kicked him off the show. They showed the opening clip, like they do, and in the middle of the piece, Dr. Phil said 'Stop the tape! Get off my stage!' and that was about it. The bumfights guy said 'I'm not done talking to you yet! I'm not done!' And Dr. Phil said 'Yes you are!' BFG: 'No I'm not!' DR.P: 'Uh huh! Get off my stage beeyotch!' (Creative license on that last bit, but you get the point.)

They then went to commercial and came back with the woman whose brother was beaten to death. And I agree... He looked ridiculous with his head shaved like Dr. Phil. I really don't think he could have given any sympathy for that woman, because he's probably convinced that his videos had nothing to do with it. I don't think he's capable of feeling much of anything, except the pad in his wallet from the millions of dollars he's made from giving homeless people 20 bucks or a bottle of Jack to pull out their teeth or beat the crap out of each other.

ETA: And calling it 'a public service' to boot.

--------------------
'I'm the decider... I decide what's best.'

Posts: 403 | From: Branson, Missouri | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Errata
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Errata   E-mail Errata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bumfights is genuinely despicable. However, Dr Phil knew all about the guy before he even arrived. Its not like the preview tape was something he didn't know about. So inviting him as a guest just to kick him off without letting him speak was just pompous showboating, which isn't surprising from him. And yes, it is just giving him free advertising to have him on at all, though presumably daytime TV watchers aren't the target demographic.

As despicable as the bumfights videos are, the Dr Phil haircut actually is pretty funny.

Posts: 2018 | From: Santa Barbara, California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
At the beginnin of the show they had clips of Dr. Phil getting ready and saying more than once that he was uncomfortable about having the guy on, and that he was starting to think the whole thing was a bad idea.

I saw the guy's hair- but I didn't get the "joke." I just thought his hair was funky looking.

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Venus
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venus   E-mail Venus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I bet you anything the guy smirked or laughed while watching the video clip. Dr. Phil has a tendency to watch the reactions of his guests while they watch themselves on the clips. If Dr. Phil was already not wanting to go through with it and the guy was clearly not taking it seriously i can see why he would get fed up and kick him off.
Posts: 177 | From: Orlando, Florida | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Paulie Jay
O Little Down-Payment of Bethlehem

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paulie Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No, I don't excuse Bumfights, but that clip is just typical Dr Phil self-aggrandising, self serving manipulation. To think that he made a last minute decision to kick the guy off the show is laughable. He just happened to have the security guys on standy because...?

--------------------
All the way with Paulie Jay

Posts: 476 | From: Sydney, NSW, Australia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Paulie Jay:
No, I don't excuse Bumfights, but that clip is just typical Dr Phil self-aggrandising, self serving manipulation. To think that he made a last minute decision to kick the guy off the show is laughable. He just happened to have the security guys on standy because...?

Don't all talk shows have security?

--------------------

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Paulie Jay

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paulie Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dr Phil is not a show that usually involves the guests brawling as if they are on Jerry Springer. Sure he'd have security somewhere in the studio, but the security guys were right there, and knew to come on even though the guest was not being in any way threatening to Phil. With an audience consisting almost exclusively of adoring housewives, why would he ever need to have bodyguards nearby?

Completely staged.

--------------------

Posts: 476 | From: Sydney, NSW, Australia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl

Paulie- did you watch the show?

There were no security guards visable before they showed the clips, then when they were done- they were there. It appeared to me that Phil got pissed sometime during the clips, called security to the front of the stage and had them ready to haul the dude out when the clips were done.

--------------------

Cinnamon
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cinnamon   Author's Homepage   E-mail Cinnamon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[juvenile humour hijack]Before my US English to British English translator kicked in I was really puzzled about the thread subject.[/juvenile humour hijack]

--------------------
My blog - a continuing obsession with my weight plus much randomness
My opinions on books, music, and other stuff

Posts: 845 | From: Gloucestershire, UK | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard1978
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard1978   E-mail Richard1978   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never seen Bumfight but I remember hearing about them before seeing American Dad's very funny parody of them.
Posts: 372 | From: Marple, UK | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Paulie Jay

quote:
Originally posted by Bach_girl:
Paulie- did you watch the show?

No, but I did watch the clip. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Bach_girl:
There were no security guards visable before they showed the clips, then when they were done- they were there. It appeared to me that Phil got pissed sometime during the clips, called security to the front of the stage and had them ready to haul the dude out when the clips were done.

Fair enough if that's the way you want to look at it, but I still find it incredibly hard to believe that Dr Phil made a last minute decision about this guy. It implies that Dr Phil is actually so clueless as to have this guest on his show without having seen the videos before the show was taped. I just don't buy it. For one thing, Dr Phil isn't that stupid. Secondly, everything about the Dr Phil show is so finely planned and plotted that nothing like this would ever just "slip though the net".

Inviting a guest onto a show and then tossing them out before they get a chance to speak is either sheer grandstanding ("look at me, I'm tough") or sheer unprofessionalism (if it so offensive, why give the guy free advertising?). Either way, it makes the host look like a Grade-A ass.

--------------------

Tori
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tori   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Paulie Jay:

Fair enough if that's the way you want to look at it, but I still find it incredibly hard to believe that Dr Phil made a last minute decision about this guy. It implies that Dr Phil is actually so clueless as to have this guest on his show without having seen the videos before the show was taped. I just don't buy it. For one thing, Dr Phil isn't that stupid. Secondly, everything about the Dr Phil show is so finely planned and plotted that nothing like this would ever just "slip though the net".

Inviting a guest onto a show and then tossing them out before they get a chance to speak is either sheer grandstanding ("look at me, I'm tough") or sheer unprofessionalism (if it so offensive, why give the guy free advertising?). Either way, it makes the host look like a Grade-A ass.

I confess I'm a big fan of Dr. Phil and his advice, but I have to agree with this. There's no way he would've not seen the video before it aired. And his speech about not wanting to publicise it? Actually, that's exactly what he did. Sure, it was negative publicity, but I never heard of Bumfights before this show, and no doubt there will be others who will want to view it just to see what all the controversy is about. Shame on Dr. Phil.
Posts: 26 | From: Darwin, NT, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cinnamon:
[juvenile humour hijack]Before my US English to British English translator kicked in I was really puzzled about the thread subject.[/juvenile humour hijack]

You BASTAGE!!! I didn't even consider that until you mentioned it... but now that you say it, this thread could be VEEEERRRRRYYYY funny!! [lol]

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages