snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » The guy who hit Stephen King with his van

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The guy who hit Stephen King with his van
Butterflygrrrlie
Tic Tac Dough

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Butterflygrrrlie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Butterflygrrrlie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi guys

On www.dailyrotten.com, "Today in Rotten History" states under June 19, 1999:

While taking a walk, horror author Stephen King is struck by a van piloted by a distracted Bryan Smith. King's extensive injuries (broken leg, broken hip, lacerated scalp and collapsed lung) remanded him to a hospital bed for three weeks. Smith would later die in his sleep on Stephen King's birthday.

Does anyone know for sure if it is true that the guy really did die on Stephen King's birthday?? If so, WHOA how freaky is that???????

Posts: 2 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wikipedia claims it's true.

quote:
Smith, a disabled construction worker, died in his sleep on September 21, 2000 (King's Birthday) at the age of 43.
I'm fairly sure I've heard interviews with Stephen where he has claimed the same thing, as well. A coincidence, I'm sure, a freaky one, to be sure, though.

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Stephen King's birthday is variously listed as 21 or 22 September 1947. Bryan Smith died on either 21 or 22 September 2000; his body was found on the 22nd.

Wikipedia's article on Bryan Smith says he died of an overdose.

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Midgard_Dragon:
Wikipedia claims it's true.

And also claims that it's not quite true:

quote:
Bryan Smith (1957 – September 22, 2000) was the driver of the vehicle which hit the author Stephen King on June 19, 1999.
ETA: Gah! Spanked!

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Butterflygrrrlie
Tic Tac Dough

Icon 304 posted      Profile for Butterflygrrrlie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Butterflygrrrlie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it teaches us all a very important lesson: DON'T MESS WITH STEPHEN KING, EVER. LOL!!
Posts: 2 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed. He has gunslingers watching out for him, after all!

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
1947??? But the first part of that year is 19!

How mysterious.

[fish]

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Macheath
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Macheath     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bthyb:
1947??? But the first part of that year is 19!

How mysterious.

[fish]

Was 19 the number that started popping up in the Dark Tower series? I read the original Gunslinger novel before he retconned it, and once references to the retcon stuff started to appear I lost interest and stopped reading.

Mack da "I HATE retcon" Knife

--------------------
http://www.artcpodcast.org - There is adventure in sound!

Posts: 1895 | From: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon

The original gunslinger novel was only a small part of The Dark Tower series. Changing it a bit to fit in with a bigger whole (and an awesome bigger whole) is not somthing I'd hold an author at fault for. After all, he wrote The Gunslinger a lonnnnnggg time ago. I'm surprised he even remembers anything about it in the later Dark Tower novels. ^^

And yes, 19 was the number.

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a site that lists the differences between the original Gunslinger book and the one edited to fit the series... as I recall, most of the changes were cosmetic.

I've searched but I can't find the site - I saw it a few years ago.

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this it?

TheDarkTower.net - The Gunslinger : A Side by Side Comparison

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Yes! You rule!

--------------------

kathryn
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kathryn     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I bought the "new" editions to have the complete set... which I now do [Big Grin]

Heck, he wrote the books so long ago I'm just glad he finally got the series finished [Smile]

--------------------
Keeper of the American Idol Pool 2006

Pamper yourself!

Posts: 1085 | From: Transplanted Yankee in North Carolina | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

I have a full set, but 3 are cheap paper backs, one a special edition paperback w/ pics, and 3 hardbacks with pics - a rather motley set.

I really don't like most of the pics, either - I don't think they add much, and some are rather inaccurate.

--------------------

Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh boy, I can see a whole Chuck Norris/Stephen King crossover in the works already . . .

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by bthyb:
I have a full set, but 3 are cheap paper backs, one a special edition paperback w/ pics, and 3 hardbacks with pics - a rather motley set.

I really don't like most of the pics, either - I don't think they add much, and some are rather inaccurate.

The only pics I didn't like were Oy and...the girl, what was her name? Sue, Suzanne? Anyways, the female gunslinger. I thought that, even though I'm sure her arms would be very well developed from her disability, she was still FAR more muscular than she should have been in the pics.

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Macheath
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Macheath     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ehh. I just don't like it when anyone creates something, establishes it, and then changes it in order to make it fit better with later work. It makes much more sense to me to write the later work in such a way that it is a natural extension of what comes before.

I realize King has stated many times that he never did have a real outline for the books and that he wrote whenever he was inspired to do so. I know that he often had a feel for what was going to happen but didn't necessarily know all the details. Still, it just seems like really sloppy storytelling to me. Of course, my standards may be a bit strict due to my folks being excellent storytellers . . .

Mack da "buy 'Grimoire', in stores now!" Knife

--------------------
http://www.artcpodcast.org - There is adventure in sound!

Posts: 1895 | From: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages