snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » New and Improved "Commercials You Hate" (Page 12)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: New and Improved "Commercials You Hate"
Mouse
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mouse   E-mail Mouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Or "getting lost in a very good book."

--------------------
"You see? The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break stuff." Coop from MegasXLR

"I distrust who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -- Susan B. Anthony

Posts: 2246 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VersesBatman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Good one.

"Watching a Nova episode you've always wanted to see."

--------------------
It's like they took a bunch of movies, put them in a blender and turned it on really fast!-Mystery Science Theater 3000

Posts: 2603 | From: Magna, Utah | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smackmac
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smackmac     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry's Kids:
The one (radio and t.v.) for loading tunes onto IPOD (I think?). Two young guys, one is singing something like "rock the cashbox" and his buddy "corrects" him and says it's "rock the catbox". It's stupid because the TITLE of the song ("Rock the Casbah") is what they're singing, how did they load it on and not realize it was the SAME LINE?

And on the radio...the thoroughly obnoxious, condescending, snotty kid giving his oral report in school on the merits of the credit union. I'll tellya, I'm not in favor of hitting, but this one makes me wanna haul out a bazooka and blow the little @#$@ away!

I can understand not knowing the name of a song (see Misheard Lyrics thread) but once you load it on your ipod, c'mon!

Your credit union kid sounds like the one we have here in Pennsylvania. A kid at a spelling bee is asked to spell deduction and starts going on about some website for PA tax credits or something. The kid is so obnoxious I just tune the ad out, which is why I have no idea what website they're selling.

There was a radio ad for some auto parts store recently that pretty much reinforced the stereotype that women were bimbos when it came to doing any kind of maintenance on their vehicles. I was so fired up that I didn't get the full name so I could freak out on them. It was Frank's or something like that.

--------------------
"Maybe getting in the last word doesn't really mean you win." - The Clarks

Posts: 486 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VersesBatman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate that male enhancment commercial with that smiling Bob. Now they have a Christmas one with him dressed like Santa Claus at a party and woman are lining up to sit on his lap.

--------------------
It's like they took a bunch of movies, put them in a blender and turned it on really fast!-Mystery Science Theater 3000

Posts: 2603 | From: Magna, Utah | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
InfraPurple
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for InfraPurple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's been said before, but it deserves another mention:
"Every kiss begins with Kay".

--------------------
While I wasn't falling down or anything, gravity and I did have an interesting relationship for a short time. - Purple Iguana

Posts: 715 | From: Kansas | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mouse

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mouse   E-mail Mouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by VersesBatman:
I hate that male enhancment commercial with that smiling Bob. Now they have a Christmas one with him dressed like Santa Claus at a party and woman are lining up to sit on his lap.

If it makes you feel any better, the company that makes Enzyte was busted for fraud.

Mouse the "Where's your generous swelling of pride, now?" Louse

--------------------
"You see? The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break stuff." Coop from MegasXLR

"I distrust who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -- Susan B. Anthony

Posts: 2246 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Toys for big boys.
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toys for big boys.     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BringTheNoise:

There is one in particular, for H Samuel IIRC, that features a man talking about his SO in terms that would have been cliche in a 70s sitcom (she cannot decide what clothes to wear, even after the taxi for whatever they're doing has arrived). While she changes back and forth between two outfits, the man slips a gift wrapped box with diamond earrings inside somewhere she will come across it. She then finds it and shouts out to the taxi driver that it will be another 10 minutes until they are ready, with the implication that she is instantly going to have sex with him. So many bad things.

The advert was for Ernest Jones, and yes, it is truly awful.

Right now, if anyone wants to get me into bed, all they need is a Wii and a copy of Twilight Princess...

--------------------
I am not taking lectures on physics from a man in tights.

Posts: 236 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zabia
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zabia   E-mail Zabia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amigone201:
Hey, how about the Captain Morgan one where the guy is at the bar, and his girlfriend calls? The bar goes quiet and she asks him why he can't make it to the wedding she's taking him to. He says "Oh, I'm sick."

"What's that noise?" the girlfriend asks. "Are you at a bar??"

"No honey, that's, er, the TV!"

Then everyone in the bar says something "TV-like" to make it sound like he really is at home watching TV. Finally, the guy says "Oh, there's nothing on."

She says, "Well, feel better!" And then this jackass and his buddies triumphantly strike the "Captain Morgan" stance.

Gah. What an awful commercial. What an awful, awful thing to do to your girlfriend. Every time I see that, I just want to call the girlfriend and shout, "HE'S AT A BAR!"

I'm glad Captain Morgan will help me be a spineless, childish, lying jerk. I'd totally buy some of that!

See, I have to admit that that one makes me giggle. Basically, because I looked at my husband and said "yeah, try that!" And also, my hubby isn't a sniveling lying prat, so I don't have to worry about it. But all in all, they way they did it was clever (IMO, more of a shout out to the actors and editors).

--------------------
We frettered around like farm animals, looking around for formulas and father figures. -Twilight Zone

Posts: 425 | From: Lynchburg, VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman

quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:
quote:

If it makes you feel any better, the company that makes Enzyte was busted for fraud.

So when will they stop showing the commercials?

--------------------

smackmac
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smackmac     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My newest gripe is the American Express one where the operators are telling your their "I saved the world...or was it just one guy?" stories.

It starts out with a guy wanting to buy his fiancee an apparently very expensive ring and his Visa was declined. So the finacee suggests he call American Express.

What, AmEx thinks I am so fricking greedy I'd tell my fiance to rack up more credit just so I can have a bigger rock?

--------------------

Posts: 486 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jerry's Kids
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Jerry's Kids         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
So when will they stop showing the commercials?
They may possibly still be able to run it if it's in litigation, unless a court order is issued to stop it.

I think those commercials are so stupid they're funny. The current one (Xmas-themed) was kind of a jaw dropper for me, so full of double entendres! And yeah, all those smiling women waiting in line to sit in his lap!

Maybe a side effect of Enzyte is that it makes you smile hard in addition to getting...well, you know...

[Razz]

Posts: 114 | From: Southern California | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NancyFancyPants
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NancyFancyPants     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Any Pittsburghers out there who are subjected to the "1-800-MY-LEMON" song? Arrrrrrggggggghhhhhh!

--------------------
And on the 7th day, God said, "Let there be lips!"

Posts: 296 | From: Munhall, PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
justusfour
Bone Appétit!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justusfour     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:
quote:

I am going to have to wake hubby up and tell him that - he gets SO mad at those commercials. I think it's the mix of the smile and the music that just aggravates him from the first note!

Personally, I can't stand the Toby Keith Ford commercials. Maybe I watch too much hockey, but they play that at least 6 times during a game and I've come to a point where I don't even want to listen to his songs on the radio because all I hear is that "I've got to get up early, got to be on time...". First time was okay, the nest 278 times were a bit much...

--------------------
"Is there anything fluffier than a cloud? If there is, I don't want to know about it."

Posts: 66 | From: Cowtown TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Diesa
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diesa   Author's Homepage   E-mail Diesa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would have to say the newest one that gets me is the Burger King commericals for the Xbox games they are selling
Posts: 21 | From: Leland, NC | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SmallTownKid
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 302 posted      Profile for SmallTownKid     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to reiterate what has already been said, I hate the diamond commercials. Especially around the holiday seasons. One of my friends told me about a spoof on Family Guy that pretty much sums it up. *mildly NFBSK, just implied stuff obviously* Spoof

--------------------
"I will take the Ring," he said, "though I do not know the way."

"Doesn't 'Frollo' sound like a delicious hobbit chocolate?"--Amanda F.

Posts: 107 | From: Kansas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Macheath
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Macheath     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by justusfour:
I am going to have to wake hubby up and tell him that - he gets SO mad at those commercials. I think it's the mix of the smile and the music that just aggravates him from the first note!

Slightly OT: I ordered a Walt Disney World vacation planning DVD a couple of months ago. When it arrived we plopped it in and watched as four hosts pointed out stuff to do. One of the hosts was the "rest and relaxation" guide, and his first scene showed him sitting on a park bench as a familiar whistling tune played in the background. . .

My wife yelled out, "Oh my god, it's BOB!" And I said, "I guess for him it IS the happiest place on earth."

One wonders if the people who put together the DVD ever watch television . . . it's impossible to not associate that tune with the stupid Enzyte commercials.

Mack da "INAPPROPRIATE!" Knife

--------------------
http://www.artcpodcast.org - There is adventure in sound!

Posts: 1895 | From: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nurple
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nurple   Author's Homepage   E-mail nurple   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I absolutely loathe this one particulary jewelry commercial, I think it's one of those "every kiss begins with Kay" ads. Father, mother, son and daughter are sitting in front of the fireplace, then the father nods conspiringly to the son, who is holding a large book on his lap. He starts to read, "'Twas the night before Christmas, and Mom didn't know, that Dad was behind her with a box, and a bow."

That commercial is so NFBSKings contrived and trite, I just want to put my foot through the tv whenever it comes on. Vomit!

--------------------
"You better respect the Rap or the Rap won't respect you." Ledatru

Posts: 1141 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"'Twas the night before Christmas, and Mom didn't know, that Dad was behind her with a box, and a bow."
I don't know why, that line gives me a mental image something like this. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nurple
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nurple   Author's Homepage   E-mail nurple   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
*snerk*

That would be an improvement to the commercial. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"You better respect the Rap or the Rap won't respect you." Ledatru

Posts: 1141 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Green Eggs and Spam
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Green Eggs and Spam     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The commercial that makes me gag the most these days is the NuvaRing one where the gal is talking in rhyme ... "Pregnancy protection? No objection!" I can't mute that one fast enough.
Posts: 272 | From: Winchester, Virginia | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MamaBird:
The first time I saw that "They went to Jared" commercial I kept thinking of the Subway spokesman. I thought, "Well, they should've asked him for those big pants he doesn't wear anymore!"

A delayed YOMANK! [lol]

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Minstrel gone caroling
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Minstrel gone caroling   Author's Homepage   E-mail Minstrel gone caroling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by justusfour:
Personally, I can't stand the Toby Keith Ford commercials. Maybe I watch too much hockey, but they play that at least 6 times during a game and I've come to a point where I don't even want to listen to his songs on the radio because all I hear is that "I've got to get up early, got to be on time...". First time was okay, the nest 278 times were a bit much...

Damn, I thought those were unique to Detroit and at least people in other areas would be spared their horror. Yeah, sure, Toby, you have to get up early. Gotta count your millions again, Mr. Fake Blue Collar?

And I will add the Chevy ads with the stupid flying truck that shows up at parades and lands on people's roofs. Again, way too overplayed!

--------------------
Last year's goat was burned down by vandals dressed up as Santa Claus and the Gingerbread Man. They were never caught.
My blog. The Adventures of the Fish O'Thwacking.
Countdown: 177 days (or less!)

Posts: 4926 | From: NW Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smackmac
Jingle Bell Hock

How about any commerical that plays more than once during a 3-5 minute break? Or any commercial that plays twice, sometimes three times, in a row?

Watching the hockey game tonight, the same freaking commerical for some stupid jeweler played twice during each commercial break. Then there was the stupid car commercial that played back to back at the beginning and the end of the intermission.

I didn't care about your message the first time, I sure as hell ain't listening the second time. You're just ticking me off, JB Roberts, and I wouldn't buy jewelry from you if Bill Gates handed me the intellectual property rights for Windows.

--------------------

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages