snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » VI VERI VENIVERSUM VIVUS VICI

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: VI VERI VENIVERSUM VIVUS VICI
rogue
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rogue   E-mail rogue   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
VI VERI VENIVERSUM VIVUS VICI-
By the Power of Truth, I, a mortal man, have conquered the Universe!

"V for Vendetta" has the quote in the above heading listed as coming from "Faust." (Goethe)

Other sources list it as "Dr. Faustus" (Marlowe)

I can find it in neither.

Can anyone out there provide a citation????

-Rogue

--------------------
"'Cause you might enjoy some madness for awile."

Posts: 119 | From: Norman, OK | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Page Three
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Page Three     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just did a search in both Faust I and II by Goethe and Dr. Faustus by Marlowe. It turns up in neither of them. I did find several pages tracing it to a motto taken by Aleister Crowley upon achieving some sort of rank in the hermetic order of the golden dawn, most either message boards or about.com pages like this one.

Nothing conclusive, but at least those two versions of Faust can be ruled out.

Posts: 315 | From: Berlin, Germany | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rogue

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rogue   E-mail rogue   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was hoping someone out there would know.

C'est La Vie.

I still like the quote though...
It would just carry more weight from Goethe than from "V for Vendetta"...

--------------------

Posts: 119 | From: Norman, OK | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Alex Buchet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alex Buchet   E-mail Alex Buchet       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

-- from the screenplay.

Voillà violent viewpoints! Verily, V vaporizes vainglorious villains vindictively.

And, attestng "apt alliteration's artful aid":

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Alliteration

Posts: 202 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ink Rose
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ink Rose   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ink Rose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
All I remmeber from the graphic novel is that it was the V V V V V inscription somewheres that Evey commented on, and V translated.

I checked on the V annotations page, the best place to look and did not find anything either.

--------------------
Comic: http://elfhome.keenspace.com

Posts: 388 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Alex Buchet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alex Buchet   E-mail Alex Buchet       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In the Wikipedia 'List of Latin Phrases' it's attributed to Marlowe.
Posts: 202 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rogue

quote:
Originally posted by Alex Buchet:
In the Wikipedia 'List of Latin Phrases' it's attributed to Marlowe.

I have seen that page, but could not find the quote IN CONTEXT in Marlowe. I was hoping that someone on this board could provide an exact citation.

EXAMPLE:

"Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio; a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy."

--From Hamlet (Act V, scene 1, lines 203-204)

--------------------

rogue

quote:
Originally posted by Ink Rose:
All I remmeber from the graphic novel is that it was the V V V V V inscription somewheres that Evey commented on, and V translated.

I checked on the V annotations page, the best place to look and did not find anything either.

I just saw the movie recently and it was a quote around a mirror in V's hideout. He attributed the quote to "Faust, by Goethe"

--------------------

Ink Rose
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ink Rose   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ink Rose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes in that and many others the movie differed greatly from the graphic novel. Since the GN is the one with the most info avaliable on it's references, I can't help you with what the movie said.

--------------------
Comic: http://elfhome.keenspace.com

Posts: 388 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages