snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » David Blaine's Latest Magic Trick

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: David Blaine's Latest Magic Trick
gspz
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 05 posted      Profile for gspz   Author's Homepage   E-mail gspz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.mostembarrassingmoment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3508

Anyone have an idea how Blaine can stay in the waterbowl for a week without food, without bathroom or sleeping breaks?

I remember seeing a show with the "Masked Magician" a few years ago, where he debunked one of Blaine's earlier tricks. I believe it was the one where he stayed in ice for a few days, and he had a hidden compartment under the ice. But there's no room for any compartment under the water bowl. So, is he really staying in there all this time? Wouldn't his skin dissolve??

Posts: 70 | From: New York | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Obviously he's a witch. I vote we burn him.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spacky
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spacky     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Anyone have an idea how Blaine can stay in the waterbowl for a week without food, without bathroom or sleeping breaks?
Quoth the article:
" The stunt is no longer just a week underwater (but he does have oxygen and will be fed nutrients by tube) followed by holding his breath for 9 minutes - it's now a week under water, get dragged out of the water and then get shackled wtih 150 pounds of chains, put back in the water to hold his breath for 9 minutes and break out of the chains
- He does have a catheter to take away his number 1; he hasn't eaten solids in a week because he doesn't want to do number 2 (ew!!)"

Thats how. Seeing as he will be fed food through a tube, has a "catheter to take away his number 1", and has a breathing tube, its not really an amazing stunt anymore, just some dude floating around in a fishbowl.

Posts: 71 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Logoboros
We Three Blings

Icon 103 posted      Profile for Logoboros   E-mail Logoboros   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spacky:
...its not really an amazing stunt anymore, just some dude floating around in a fishbowl.

Well, it may not be an especially exciting or even entertaining stunt, but it's certainly still an impressive feat of endurance and mental discipline (unless there is some other trickery afoot).

--Logoboros

--------------------
"If Men were Wise, the Most arbitrary Princes could not hurt them. If they are not wise, the Freest Government is compelld to be a Tyranny."

--William Blake

Posts: 1025 | From: Memphis, TN & Columbia, MO | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christopher
Peruby, Don't Take Your Love to Town

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christopher   Author's Homepage   E-mail Christopher   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by candy from strangers:
Obviously he's a witch. I vote we burn him.

That's why he's protecting himself with water.

--------------------
"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know." ~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne

Posts: 1382 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gspz
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gspz   Author's Homepage   E-mail gspz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Logoboros:
quote:
Originally posted by Spacky:
...its not really an amazing stunt anymore, just some dude floating around in a fishbowl.

Well, it may not be an especially exciting or even entertaining stunt, but it's certainly still an impressive feat of endurance and mental discipline (unless there is some other trickery afoot).

--Logoboros

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It's designed to appear like a feat of extreme endurance, just like his previous trick in the ice tomb. But the ice tomb thing was debunked, and it turned out that he had a hidden chamber below the ice where he took turns with a look-alike.

And David Copperfield did a similar stunt where he supposedly stood in a Tornado of Fire. I was there, and the whole thing was just a video editing trick. No witness was allowed into the hall with him. Nobody saw Copperfield stand in the fire, except for a VIDEO audience who saw the whole thing on a big screen outside the hall. Whoopdedoo! They could have made Shreck stand in the Firestorm on the video screen.

Staying under water for a week like that is pretty extreme, and would take an enormous toll on his skin alone. My mom used to work for a company that was located next to a funeral home, and the 2 guys preparing the bodies would come over for their lunch breaks. They told me that a body that floats in water for a few days becomes so spongy, that your fingers go through the skin like butter, when you try to move the body.

So it would appear to me that somehow there's a trick involved and he's not actually in there for a week. But the photos show him from all angles and there's really no way for him to get out of the sphere unnoticed. Hmmm.

Posts: 70 | From: New York | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
gspz said:
Staying under water for a week like that is pretty extreme, and would take an enormous toll on his skin alone. My mom used to work for a company that was located next to a funeral home, and the 2 guys preparing the bodies would come over for their lunch breaks. They told me that a body that floats in water for a few days becomes so spongy, that your fingers go through the skin like butter, when you try to move the body.

Those were dead people though - dead people tend to go a bit runny after a few days even if they're not left in water...

This is slightly more interesting than being stuck in a box hanging from a crane, I suppose, but it still seems a bit pointless. I like the comment from somebody in the other thread: "What kind of a magician spends their life in a goldfish bowl with no sharks? BOOORING!!!!"

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gspz
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gspz   Author's Homepage   E-mail gspz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If he just stood in that waterbowl for a week, that would be a pretty extreme stunt, but still just a stunt, not a magic illusion.

Same thing with the ice tomb, or David Copperfield's firestorm. Or getting sawed in half on stage. Or sitting in a box with a dozen swords stuck in its sides. If they had actually endured those things, those would be stunts.

But the reason why they're called illusionists is because those guys don't actually do what they say they do, or what your eyes think you see. They only make it look like they're really getting sawed in half, sit in a glass box for a month or stand in 2500 degree fire for a minute or stay submerged for a week.

The fact that most people just think of these things as "stunts" shows that these illusions are pretty amazing, because if you recognized them as a fake illusion right away, they wouldn't be any good.

Have you seen David Copperfield's "stunt" where he makes the statue of liberty disappear? If he really made her disappear, it would have been a stunt requiring enormous logistics, cranes, etc. But the fact that he didn't really do it and just made it look like he did, is what makes it an illusion.

Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gspz:
The fact that most people just think of these things as "stunts" shows that these illusions are pretty amazing, because if you recognized them as a fake illusion right away, they wouldn't be any good.

Have you seen David Copperfield's "stunt" where he makes the statue of liberty disappear? If he really made her disappear, it would have been a stunt requiring enormous logistics, cranes, etc. But the fact that he didn't really do it and just made it look like he did, is what makes it an illusion.

I've not seen it, but it's obvious Copperfield didn't really make the Statue of Liberty vanish and so it was an illusion. It would be physically impossible to actually do it.

On the other hand David Blaine really did sit in a perspex box for 40 days, and apparently really is sitting in a fishbowl for a week at the moment. It's not physically impossible to do these things. I don't see these things as being equivalent.

I'm sure the ice tomb was an illusion, because being frozen into a solid block of ice for any length of time would kill you. But it's not the same "stunt"!

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
forcadragons
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for forcadragons     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, when David Blaine sat in a box alongside the River Thames in London, there was a regular stream of people gawping and throwing eggs at him, so I'm pretty sure that he was in there all the time.

I encourages New Yorkers to do the same, by the way.

--------------------
We're sorry to bother you at such a time like this, Mrs. Twice. We would have come earlier, but your husband wasn't dead then.

Posts: 130 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kitty Penguin
Pie rate.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kitty Penguin     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm pretty sure the effect that water has on dead skin is completely different than on live skin.

The cells are not just absorbing the water (as in a dead person), they are processing it and regenerating new cells.

Posts: 28 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Either way (dead or alive) you can still get the sloughing off effects, usually on the hands and feet. Trust me, it's a LOT worse on the dead, since the new skin layers aren't there to replace the old and the decomp process is there to add to the mess.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I also vote for burn the witch. I don't know about the ice thing. I didn't keep up but that is an actual stunt, James Randi did it for a shorter time (a couple hours, I think) many years ago. As I mentioned on the other thread Blaine tends to mix illusions with stunts. It keeps you guessing but the stunts are pointless. If I want to see something in a glass bowl not doing anything I'll watch my beta fish.

Walking on coals, oral fire extinguishing are stunts. They are hyped to be more dangerous than they actually are but they are more or less on the level. Even if what Blaine is doing is a stunt and, yes saddly I did see the show, it seems it is it is still pointless. Blaine is pointless. Can anyone recall two major news making events concerning magicians in the fall of 2003? One was Blaine in a box. The other was the Roy Horn tradgedy where other magicians actually gave a damn, while Blaine sat in a box.

I'll admit that some of his illusions are really very good but there are times when you're not a hero for sitting in a box... besides its like watching paint dry. I'm surprised anyone really cares. His "mystical" ideology also gets to me. A man in a fish bowl isn't a god... he's an idiot in a fish bowl.

As far as the Statue of Liberty thing goes... spoiler space... they played loud, dramatic, seat shaking music and rotated the whole damned audience while the curtain was up. When the curtain fell of course it wasn't in front of them because the were facing in the wrong freaking direction. Rotate the thing back and voila! the statue is back. But hey, who could tell with all the stadium lights blocking out the stars? You could only see where the spotlights showed you. I'm a big fan of project magic but not a big fan of Copperfield.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess I was late to the party

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chimera:
A man in a fish bowl isn't a god... he's an idiot in a fish bowl.

Are you picking on religion again, Chimera?
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
David Blaine's submerging act hasn't been shown here yet, tho' I have seen news footage. I'm looking forward to it. I think he's entertaining and novel.
Sorry if that doesn't fit with the general concensus.

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GrandMal de Caesar
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GrandMal de Caesar   E-mail GrandMal de Caesar   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
David Blaine was once pretty interesting, now, he is doing these performance/endurance stunts, in part, I think, because they garner publicity over a period of time.
Entertaining, but not stimulating to me. Still better than watching Tom Cruise doing movie promotions--is it me, or is he replacing the Prince of Pop as America's weird dude?

--------------------
Blinded by the lite

Posts: 89 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MissEltoe
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissEltoe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So how do you all feel about that Criss Angel guy? I think he has a show called Mindfreak? For some reason I like him more than David Blaine, even though they are kinda on the same page.

::shrugs shoulders::

--------------------
Licorice of the Lord! This is classy stuff...Should I be wearing a tie? Or, at least, pants?
~I'mNotDedalus

Posts: 975 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I like him more than David Blaine because Criss Angel is hot. Long hair, eyeliner, no shirt...now that's magic.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MissEltoe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissEltoe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
LOL @ Candy.
I think that may be what attracts me to him too. [Wink]

--------------------
Licorice of the Lord! This is classy stuff...Should I be wearing a tie? Or, at least, pants?
~I'mNotDedalus

Posts: 975 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Yleemjseg
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yleemjseg   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What i originally liked about David Blaine was his "Street Magic" stuff; he'd just walk around and to tricks on the street (not THAT kind of "tricks on the street"!). It wasn't flashy and over-produced.
That's one of the things i DON'T like about Criss Angel. It's too showy. Too much set up and "look at me! I'm weird!" and not enough "check this cool thing out i can do".
Also, i saw a show where he was in a box that went into a woodchipper. So, the box goes in, and it's not enough to let the box go in and then he appears at the back of the audience or something, but when the box whent in, it was set up to fire red gory chunks. So either his family were really good actors, or they just thought he actually got mulched, and then he reappears. I think that's a pretty jerky thing to do.

But now, i'm pretty skeptical about any tricks i see on TV. You get the camera's point of view, which presumably is looking right where the magician wants you to look. Who knows what might be taking place outside visual range, or in the editing room. I'm geneeally only really impressed by stuff i see in person.

Posts: 225 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just don't get the appeal of the endurance stunts. So he's in a box, or a bowl. . .and? If it were to raise money for charity or "awareness" of something I could see it, but he appears to do something is mundane as sitting or standing for his own glory. I wouldn't throw eggs at him, but I wouldn't go out of my way to see him either.

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
qualli

Icon 1 posted      Profile for qualli   E-mail qualli   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Magic shows on TV have always seemed pretty pointless to me. There's nothing to stop the editors from making it look as "magical" as they want. Magic Shows in person are a bit more impressive.

--------------------
"I still say Obi-wan Kenobi was The Force's bitch."

Posts: 820 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I miss Doug Henning. He had great TV shows. Poor Doug got sucked in by some magical mystery scam.

ETA Holy spit! Doug Henning's been dead for 6 years... I didn't know that. I thought he was still alive.  -

Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Yleemjseg
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yleemjseg   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Doug Henning's dead!?

Didn't he get into the weirdo party of Canada, or whatever it was called? Natural Law party, wasn't it? I'm sure i've just offended someone.

They did that yogic flying right?

Posts: 225 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pob14
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pob14     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by candy from strangers:
I like him more than David Blaine because Criss Angel is hot. Long hair, eyeliner, no shirt...now that's magic.

Remarkably enough, that's exactly what I like in a woman. [Smile]

I liked Doug Henning too. He and Debbie always seemed to take such joy in what they were doing. Blaine always looks like he's in pain, even when he's NOT frozen in ice.

(By the way, I don't think the Masked Magician's "debunking" of Frozen In Time was anything more than a wild-assed guess, and probably wrong.)

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 576 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages