snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Military » Audie Murphy, child molester

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Audie Murphy, child molester
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 209 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I am in the Army stationed at Hunter Army Airfield. When we go
to our Promotion Board, one of the topics that we must learn is the life
of Audie Murphy. I have heard a rumor that Audie Murphy, before he died,
was arrested or charged with child molestation. I am just wondering if
there is any truth to this.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barbara R.
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbara R.   E-mail Barbara R.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never heard of anything like this. Maybe you could try a Google search.

Barbara R.

Posts: 378 | From: Boonville, Missouri USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CannonFodder Global Trotter
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CannonFodder Global Trotter   Author's Homepage   E-mail CannonFodder Global Trotter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I found this Time Magazine article written at the time of his death, and it goes into some of the trouble he experienced toward the end of his life. While it mentions him brutally beating a man over that man's mistreatment of a dog it says nothing of child abuse.

Lieutenant Murphy fought for thirty months on the front lines of one of the most brutal wars imaginable. His bravery was of a sort so selfless that we are very likely never to see its kind again. It is now widely recognized that Audie Murphy suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder, and how could he not have? He was a generally kind and self-effacing man who probably should have returned to a simpler life in West Texas rather than immersing himself in Hollywood's often seedy culture.

For the sake of the Soldier posting the inquiry in the original post I recommend you concentrate on Lieutenant Murphy's positive accomplishments. No one on a board is going to be impressed with you detailing the troubles he later experienced.

--------------------
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

Posts: 2776 | From: LSA Anaconda, Iraq | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Old Soldier
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Old Soldier   E-mail Old Soldier   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, Cannon Fodder!! Lieutenant Murphy's exploits in combat far outweigh anything he may have done later on. I consulted my lovely bride, who met Lt. Murphy before his death, and she never heard of such a tale. Without getting into how she would know, she was in a position to have known had such a thing happened back then. As far as Lt. Murphy getting into trouble for beating a man who mistreated his dog, I would probably have done the same thing.

As to the promotion board, I would think that they would be far more impressed with your knowledge of your specialty and general military history than your knowledge of one man. None of the boards I went in front of were concerned about that sort of thing. They were more interested in the areas I spoke of above.

Posts: 2 | From: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Daniceguy
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 209 posted      Profile for Daniceguy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I read the article in CannonFodder's link (hope that's just irony in your handle, CannonFodder - take care of yourself!), and I disagree with the last sentence:

"Audie Murphy belonged to an earlier, simpler time, one in which bravery was cardinal and killing was a virtue."

I read "To Hell and Back" several times as a teenager and I always felt Murphy portrayed killing as a necessity, rather than a virtue.

As far as child molesting, I don't believe it any more than anyone else here. There's something in human nature (at least in some humans' nature) that tries to bring down heroes, simply because they are there.

I would rather believe that heroes are human first and heroes second. I don't think Audie Murphy ASKED to be a hero, and it may have done him more harm than good in the end, but that doesn't diminish who he was or what he did.

--------------------
"Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes!"

"No it isn't."

Posts: 171 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
evilrabbit
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evilrabbit   E-mail evilrabbit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Old Soldier:
Lieutenant Murphy's exploits in combat far outweigh anything he may have done later on.

Anything? Seriously, anything he could possibly have done, or do you mean anything there's any evidence that he may have actually done? Because, while I can't really fault him beating up a dog-abuser, I'm not sure heroism should give a person a free pass.

I'm not trying to start trouble, here. I have a great deal of respect for those who are called to defend their country. This statement just didn't sit right with me.

--------------------
"My sandwich choice is uncertain, until I actually order. It's like Schrodinger's Sandwich."
"Is plutonium involved in this sandwich in any way?"
"Maybe."

Posts: 496 | From: Whitby, ON, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm with you, evilrabbit.

I'm not saying he was a child molester, as obviously there's no proof of that, but were it true I don't think he (or anyone) should be given a pass just because of earlier heroism.

Let me reiterate to avoid flames, I'm not saying he did this, I don't believe he did.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think he should get a free pass but neither should he be the target of a smear job just because he is dead and can no longer defend himself. Unless there is more to go on than "I heard this somewhere" it's pretty contemptible to accuse anyone of such a heinous crime.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by evilrabbit:
quote:
Lieutenant Murphy's exploits in combat far outweigh anything he may have done later on.

Anything? Seriously, anything he could possibly have done, or do you mean anything there's any evidence that he may have actually done? Because, while I can't really fault him beating up a dog-abuser, I'm not sure heroism should give a person a free pass.

I'm not trying to start trouble, here. I have a great deal of respect for those who are called to defend their country. This statement just didn't sit right with me.

I wrestled with this a bit because i don't want to derail this thread, but there was a relevent case in my area. It too deals with the idea that past service -- while not outweighing present actions -- may, in some opinions,"pay-off" against some bad deeds.

Here: In determining the sentence, Ford said he considered Guidi's spotless record before the accident, his service in the military and the Fire Department and the fact that he didn't flee after striking Sandoval. Guidi's drunken-driving talks also served to his benefit, Ford said.

By the way, I'll extend my and my family's deepest THANK YOU to all military personel this Veteran's Day weekend

--------------------
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DesertRat
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertRat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
IMHO, some crimes (such as child molestation) are so beyond the pale, that no amount of prior good deeds can mitigate such a heinous crime.

That being said, other than the post here, I have seen absolutely ZERO evidence ever linking Murphy to such crimes... sounds to me more like someone has a hard-on to tear down one the last true American heroes we have. It as, as Christie noted, contemptible.

However, these things have happened, though not necessarily with Murphy... let's not forget the SPC Paul Stebbins, Silver Star recipient in Mogadishu (and the soldier upon whom Ewan McGregor's character is based on in the movie version of Blackhawk Down) is now doing 20 years hard time in Leavenworth following a conviction on charges of child molestation. Creeps can pop up in the wierdest places.

--------------------
High on the wind, the Highland drums begin to roll, and something from the past just comes and stares into my soul... --Mark Knopfler

Posts: 3402 | From: New Bern, NC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DesertRat:

However, these things have happened, though not necessarily with Murphy... let's not forget the SPC Paul Stebbins, Silver Star recipient in Mogadishu (and the soldier upon whom Ewan McGregor's character is based on in the movie version of Blackhawk Down) is now doing 20 years hard time in Leavenworth following a conviction on charges of child molestation. Creeps can pop up in the wierdest places.

Maybe that's the grain of salt in the Murphy story. Someone confused two people, just remembered it was some guy who got a medal who had a movie made about his feats. "What's his name, that hero guy, they made a movie.....Audie Murphy, yeah, that's him."

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Old Soldier
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Old Soldier   E-mail Old Soldier   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My apologies. I did not mean to imply that he should get a free pass for child molestation. I don't believe the story, but, were it true, he should have felt the full weight of the law.

BTW, CannonFodder, you keep your head down. I didn't get to be an old man by sticking mine up at the wrong time!! Thank you for your service. Just remember that folk back here are keeping you and your comrades in their hearts and prayers.

Posts: 2 | From: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CannonFodder Global Trotter
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CannonFodder Global Trotter   Author's Homepage   E-mail CannonFodder Global Trotter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
BTW, CannonFodder, you keep your head down. I didn't get to be an old man by sticking mine up at the wrong time!! Thank you for your service. Just remember that folk back here are keeping you and your comrades in their hearts and prayers.

Well, I try to keep my head down. Only one award for valor thus far (ARCOM w/V device), and my duties have returned to the rather static ones of basic guard force responsibilities. I don't see any necessity to stick my head up anymore. That's why there's artillery, CAS, and radios.

--------------------
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

Posts: 2776 | From: LSA Anaconda, Iraq | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DesertRat

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertRat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And check your e-mail, Jeff. [Cool]

--------------------
High on the wind, the Highland drums begin to roll, and something from the past just comes and stares into my soul... --Mark Knopfler

Posts: 3402 | From: New Bern, NC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dropbear
Angels from the Realms so Glurgy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dropbear     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniceguy:
As far as child molesting, I don't believe it any more than anyone else here. There's something in human nature (at least in some humans' nature) that tries to bring down heroes, simply because they are there.

I would rather believe that heroes are human first and heroes second. I don't think Audie Murphy ASKED to be a hero, and it may have done him more harm than good in the end, but that doesn't diminish who he was or what he did.

I think that there is a major problem with the notion that a hero is a particular type of human. Rather a hero is a human that has done a heroic deed. They may go on to do more heroic deeds or they may go on to do despicable deeds or they may go on to live in the suburbs and do nothing else particularly noteworthy.

I think we are untrue to the guts of what it is to be a human doing something heroic when we try to make heroes separate from the rest of humanity.

Had Audie Murphy committed a vile crime later in life would that make what he did do meaningless? If a a child abuser rescues a group of people from a blazing building at risk of his or her own life is that action not heroic because of their past actions? Do we end up with some sort of quantity survey of heroism that totes up all deeds to then put people on a hero rating ("Sorry Mr and Mrs Jones, while you son did die saving the lives of 2 others he did cheat on his girlfriend and kick the cat - accordingly he is not a hero")

I take comfort from the fact that the acts of heroism we see come from ordinary people that do ordinary things, good, bad and dull things and who then find in themselves the capacity to do something extra-ordinary.

Dropbear

--------------------
" The villagers had said justice had been done, and she'd lost patience and told them to go home, then, and pray to whatever gods they believed in that it was never done to them. -- (Terry Pratchett)

Posts: 823 | From: Hobart, Tasmania | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
educatedindian
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for educatedindian     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A few things occur to me. Since I've written more than a little bit about Native vets (Including trying to track down rumors that Murphy might have some distant Native heritage. Then again, most white Southerners claim that.) this claim about Murphy was something I'd never heard before in all that I'd found on the guy.

An online search turned up nothing. Perhaps it's one of those rumors that gets spread precisely because it's so unlikely, like the ones claiming Mr. Rogers or John Denver were part of elite units.

Murphy, as a war hero and then an even more famous movie star, would have had his share of female admirers. Looking as baby faced as he did for most of his life, that probably included some fairly young (teenage or even adolesecent) girls. He also hailed from a region where young girls routinely married much older men at the time with no stigma.

(Please, no silly claims I'm stereotyping the region. I'm from the rural south myself. If you still doubt me, ask Jerry Lee Lewis or Loretta Lynn.)

So *possibly* Murphy could have dallied with young girls (but not children) and people from outside the region or in more recent times are condemning him for something that only recently has been redefined as "child molesting."

(Murphy married twice, but I don't recall the ages of his wives at the time he met them.)

There also used to be stereotypes about "crazy vets" becoming child molesters from PTSD, which Murphy certainly suffered from.

Posts: 69 | From: Texas | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gavida
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gavida   E-mail Gavida   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DesertRat:

Uhm, I don't want to sound like a smarta$$ (too late, I know [Wink] ), but wasn't his name John Stebbins and wasn't the sentence 30 years?

Gavida

--------------------
"He looked bigger when I couldn't see him" - Jayne Cobb

Posts: 359 | From: Essen, NRW, Germany | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: I am in the Army stationed at Hunter Army Airfield. When we go
to our Promotion Board, one of the topics that we must learn is the life
of Audie Murphy. I have heard a rumor that Audie Murphy, before he died,
was arrested or charged with child molestation. I am just wondering if
there is any truth to this.

We were stationed at HAAF. My husband had to prep for the promotion board. I helped him study. I made flash cards and studied with him.

Not one mention of Audie Murphy was ever made.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DesertRat

Gavida;

Your are correct... smartass. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages