snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Military » Lottery winners discharged

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lottery winners discharged
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 605 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Is it law or just practice for military to discharge lottery
winners for disciplinary reasons?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
curtta
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for curtta     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Its not a law. If the person in question is starting to act up after winning the lottery then the military can discharge them because of it. There is a rumor that the military kicks a person out if they win the lottery. Its not true. If you do win and ask for a discharge, they will more than likely give you a general discharge, nothing good, nothing bad.
Posts: 19 | From: Whiteman AFB, MO | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senior
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 205 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by curtta:
...they will more than likely give you a general discharge, nothing good, nothing bad.

In the Navy/Marine Corps, unless you've had one court-martial or two NJPs in the present enlistment, an admin discharge must be Honorable.

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ASL
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASL   E-mail ASL   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by curtta:
Its not a law. If the person in question is starting to act up after winning the lottery then the military can discharge them because of it. There is a rumor that the military kicks a person out if they win the lottery. Its not true. If you do win and ask for a discharge, they will more than likely give you a general discharge, nothing good, nothing bad.

I doubt that. A general discharge is most definitely not good, even if it doesn't sound so bad. I also doubt they would give you one just for asking on account of winning the lottery.

--------------------
"Dear Lord, please protect this rockethouse and all who dwell within..."

Posts: 1093 | From: Japan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I looked this up several years ago. Coast Guard Personnel Manual has a chapter that says that if a member wins a million or more, they will OFFER an honorable discharge at that time. If you don't want it, you continue to serve your time.

I've only heard of two people winning and both got out.

I can see problems for those who stay. "I don't have to listen to you, Captain, I can BUY you!!" But, then, that is why we have the UCMJ!! [lol]

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senior
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That sounds reasonable to me, Malruhn.

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GI Joe
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GI Joe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:

I love the way this is worded. The unexamined presumption is that all military lottery winners receive discharges for disciplinary reasons. The only question is whether this is law or practice, thereby distracting you from the question of whether this is true or not. I believe this illustrates at least two logical fallicies.

--------------------
Once a Warrior Prince

Posts: 496 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
brick
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brick     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GI Joe:
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:

I love the way this is worded. The unexamined presumption is that all military lottery winners receive discharges for disciplinary reasons. The only question is whether this is law or practice, thereby distracting you from the question of whether this is true or not. I believe this illustrates at least two logical fallicies.
This is a good illustration of the often misused concept of "begging the question."
Posts: 1744 | From: Houston | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GI Joe
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GI Joe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Brick. You're dead on. That IS the main logical fallacy, and you're right that most folk misuse the term "begging the question." If only logic were still a required semester course in HS English, half the arguments on this board would never take place. [Sigh.]

--------------------
Once a Warrior Prince

Posts: 496 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tantei Kijo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tantei Kijo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tantei Kijo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GI Joe:
Brick. You're dead on. That IS the main logical fallacy, and you're right that most folk misuse the term "begging the question." If only logic were still a required semester course in HS English, half the arguments on this board would never take place. [Sigh.]

I don't see what's wrong with using the phrase "that begs the question..." when not referring to the logical fallacy (as the equivalent of "that leads me to ask..."). Sure, maybe some people get the two confused, but I think the phrase is rather nice in itself.

--------------------
Bender: Though you may have to make a metaphorical "deal with the devil". And by "devil", I mean the robot devil, and by "metaphorically" I mean get your coat. ------------ My sad site: A new way to be bored.

Posts: 722 | From: Colorado | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 303 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
you're right that most folk misuse the term "begging the question."
But people aren't misusing it. The term simply doesn't carry the same common meaning it once did.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages