snopes.com
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Military » The origin of 'hoorah'!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The origin of 'hoorah'!
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 209 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Earlier this month, I was listening to a radio critic discuss the movie Jarheads. The host mentioned that he'd read/heard someplace that the Marine's "hoorah" is a corruption of 'hua', which means 'heard, understood, acknowledged'. Sounds ULish to me.

Dawn--from the halls of Montezuma--Storm

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pinqy
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinqy   E-mail pinqy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Hua is what the Army says. Stands for "Head Up Ass" (as far as I'm concerned). In Armyspeak, "Hua" means anything but "no." Any attempt to make it an acronym is an explanation after the fact.

pinqy

--------------------
Don't Forget!
Winter Solstice Hanukkah Christmas Kwanzaa & Gurnenthar's Ascendance Are Coming!

Posts: 8671 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nurple
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nurple   Author's Homepage   E-mail nurple   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Huh. I think pinqy just called me (and the other Army vets on this board) an asshat.

--------------------
"You better respect the Rap or the Rap won't respect you." Ledatru

Posts: 1141 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I think you're right, Nurple!

Oorah-a-Chow!

(and the USMC website's Explaination)

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
beaver_slayer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaver_slayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I think this means somethink like "Charge!" in Mongolian (allegedly, "hoorah" and "hurricane" comes from the same word "hoorag" meaning "charge"). However, the sources I know are not the most reliable, but the version in widespread
Posts: 246 | From: Toronto, ON / Kyiv, Ukraine | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
beaver_slayer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaver_slayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I've read the version and I personally find it unrealistic. In a sense, I believe it's similar to some folk explaination, like with "computer bugs" and "debugging": some interesting instance found and therefore it is considered as an origin. However, I don't think this is the case

From the story above it seems to be clear that the word was adopted during Korean war. I'd say that it would be pretty fair to say that this is one of the instances where US "fought" Russians since the latter definitely provided military training to Korean troops. The case is that "hoorah" is in the USSR military statute, and is completely official. You have to use it under certain conditions. I think that the word got through the enemy lines, since the explaination given above is unclear at best (and contradicts some other accounts on the Web). However, I can give you the literary Russian source (Pushkin, actually) who uses this same word in a 100% appropriate setting in early 19th century, so there is no way it got back. And, again, most likely it is used since 15-16 century. Yes, it's that old.

Posts: 246 | From: Toronto, ON / Kyiv, Ukraine | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mnotr2
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mnotr2   E-mail mnotr2   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nurple:
Huh. I think pinqy just called me (and the other Army vets on this board) an asshat.

Why yes, I do believe he did! [Mad]

Mnot - sure is dark in here - r2

--------------------
Infinite goodness is creating a being you know, in advance, is going to complain.
Captain Billy Cutshaw

Posts: 582 | From: Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DesertRat
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertRat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I've always understood that "hooah" was how you say "oorah" with a dick in your mouth.

[fish] (Bring it, doggies! [Wink] )

--------------------
High on the wind, the Highland drums begin to roll, and something from the past just comes and stares into my soul... --Mark Knopfler

Posts: 3402 | From: New Bern, NC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Aw, come on, DR. We can't pick on you, and you know that.

There are laws that protect the intellectually challenged. [lol] You are just too easy a target! Oh, and did your Navy-Daddy give you permission to use the computer??

By the way - Happy MC Birthday!!

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
beaver_slayer
Deck the Malls

BTW, Webster's believe in German origins of the word. Will have to check OED.
Luminus
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luminus   E-mail Luminus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Wikipedia - Oorah
Posts: 66 | From: Beaumont, TX | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nurple
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nurple   Author's Homepage   E-mail nurple   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by DesertRat:
I've always understood that "hooah" was how you say "oorah" with a dick in your mouth.

[fish] (Bring it, doggies! [Wink] )

Well, that actually may be true in my case, but I'm a girl so it was okay in everybody's eyes.

--------------------
"You better respect the Rap or the Rap won't respect you." Ledatru

Posts: 1141 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DesertRat
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertRat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Aw, come on, DR. We can't pick on you, and you know that.

There are laws that protect the intellectually challenged. You are just too easy a target! Oh, and did your Navy-Daddy give you permission to use the computer??

Words of wisdom from the ankle-deep Navy. Don't forget your waterwings!

(On a completely, unrelated note, my Dad WAS in the Navy... [Smile] )

quote:
Well, that actually may be true in my case, but I'm a girl so it was okay in everybody's eyes.
If you were still on active duty, I'd write you up for an MSM for that comment. [Big Grin]

--------------------
High on the wind, the Highland drums begin to roll, and something from the past just comes and stares into my soul... --Mark Knopfler

Posts: 3402 | From: New Bern, NC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
cossak
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cossak     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Well my little children!! Some of you, at least the real vets, should remember that military commands come from the "diaphragm". Just try to go outside and yell "hoooraaa" in your deepest loudest and from the gut voice, and you will see it comes out "Huhra"
Posts: 1 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Damned Jarheads.... When _I_ do it, it just naturally comes out, "Hooah". I don't want to add in any Navy-glans-vibrating "R"s in there. [lol]

And welcome to the boards!! It's good to have another Devil-Dog here to pick on. [Wink]

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RangerDog
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
In the Air Force we used to shout "MeetmeattheOclubat1600"

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senior

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post 
In the Navy we said: "shut up and get me another beer, you ain't got me that beer YET!"

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Smiles777
Abba Zabba

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smiles777     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I was Naval Air, so we didnt really have any war cry, but during C school at the Naval Air Tactical Training Center in Lakehurst, New Jersey (where the Hindenburg went down), our instructors were Marines and we always heard "Hooah". Even though Wikipedia defnies it as an abreviation for Heard, Understood, Accepted, I was told it stood for Heard, Understood, Acknowledged.

:shrugs:

--------------------
"There's just something a little extra noble in protecting the person who's standing behind you telling you you're wrong all the time."
First of Two

Posts: 82 | From: Kansas City, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

We were joking when I went to the Air Force Senior NCO Academy last year... The various military "grunts"

Air Force: MEET-ME-AT-THE-O-CLUB-AT-1600!
Navy: YOO-HOOOOO!!
Marines: OORAH!!
Army: HOOAH!!
Coast Guard: WHAT THE...

Then we got REALLY silly. We decided that since the grunts were based in a long history of military service, the Air Force couldn't have one... damned young punks. [Wink]

--------------------

Jason Threadslayer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by beaver_slayer:
I think this means somethink like "Charge!" in Mongolian (allegedly, "hoorah" and "hurricane" comes from the same word "hoorag" meaning "charge").

Hurricane comes from the Spanish huracán from the Mayan god Huracan.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sandarwarrior
Christmas in Kill Barney

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sandarwarrior   E-mail sandarwarrior   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Heard, Understood, Acknowledged.

Hua! And say it LOUD!!!

Navy Brat (both veterans, both deceased)
Air Force Spouse (he's home)
Army National Guard Aunt (she's in Iraq)
Friend to many in all branches of the military (all over the freakin' place!)

--------------------
Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing; simply moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is common sense dancing.

Posts: 12 | From: Bellevue, NE | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GaiaP5
Cereal Killer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GaiaP5     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
IIRC, on AFN, they have PSA describing "military traditions" and one of them is the origin of "Hooah" or whatever... (Hubby is Air Force.)

According to AFN, a group of soldiers (esp. one specific general, but I'll be damned if I remember who) sat down to eat with a group of Native Americans. (When or where, I cannot remember. Why am I writing this?)

Anyway, when they said hello to the Chief, he replied, "Hooah." Supposedly, he was trying to say hello back, but didn't speak English, so he messed it up.

Now does that sound like a UL or what? [lol]

--------------------
When other little girls were dreaming of being ballet dancers, I kind of wanted to be a vampire.

Posts: 185 | From: Stuttgart, Germany | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GI Joe
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GI Joe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by GaiaP5:
Anyway, when they said hello to the Chief, he replied, "Hooah." Supposedly, he was trying to say hello back, but didn't speak English, so he messed it up.

An interesting coincidence. I just finished re-reading The Last of the Mohicans. In that book Cooper uses the word "hugh!" as the indian exclamation for surprise or excitement. If spoken from the diaphram, that sure can sound close to "Hooah" or "Huaa." I wonder . . .

--------------------
Once a Warrior Prince

Posts: 496 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ali_marea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 24 posted      Profile for ali_marea   E-mail ali_marea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mnotr2:
quote:
Originally posted by Nurple:

Why yes, I do believe he did! [Mad]

Mnot - sure is dark in here - r2

uh...you do know pinqy is actually in the Army, right? [Razz]

--------------------
28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, and 12 seconds. That is when the world will end.

Posts: 7158 | From: D.C. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 
Hoo-ah-chow
Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages