snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Military » Secret Military Base

 - UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Secret Military Base
mrrentalshoes
Deck the Malls


Icon 05 posted      Profile for mrrentalshoes   Author's Homepage   E-mail mrrentalshoes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of my father once told me that when he was a child, he was wandering around Stone Mountain, the landmark in Atlanta, GA. He said that he found a large passage that went into the mountain, where he saw a number of military vehicles. He got scared and ran out. Now I know that Stone Mountain is actually a giant sheet of Granite, with miles spreading out in all directions underground. Has anyone ever heard of there being a military base here or anything along those lines?
Posts: 265 | From: Groveland, FL | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CannonFodder Global Trotter
Little Sales Drummer Boy


Icon 1 posted      Profile for CannonFodder Global Trotter   Author's Homepage   E-mail CannonFodder Global Trotter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How far is it from Ft Benning/Columbus?

--------------------
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

Posts: 2776 | From: LSA Anaconda, Iraq | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mrrentalshoes
Deck the Malls


Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrrentalshoes   Author's Homepage   E-mail mrrentalshoes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't have an exact number, but it's somewhere between 80-90 miles.
Posts: 265 | From: Groveland, FL | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CannonFodder Global Trotter
Little Sales Drummer Boy


Icon 1 posted      Profile for CannonFodder Global Trotter   Author's Homepage   E-mail CannonFodder Global Trotter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, but I can't help but thing that Dahlonega is around there somewhere. The US Army's Ranger school is taught in the mountains in and around Dahlonega, GA.

http://www.5thrtb.org/index.htm

--------------------
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

Posts: 2776 | From: LSA Anaconda, Iraq | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mementoed
Baby 100 Grand


Icon 18 posted      Profile for Mementoed   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mementoed   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The military has "listening posts" in certain parts of the United States. They are sometimes found in tunnels. I am not saying that the tunnel he found is such a listening post, just that such places do exist.

quote:
Originally posted by mrrentalshoes:
A friend of my father once told me that when he was a child, he was wandering around Stone Mountain, the landmark in Atlanta, GA. He said that he found a large passage that went into the mountain, where he saw a number of military vehicles. He got scared and ran out. Now I know that Stone Mountain is actually a giant sheet of Granite, with miles spreading out in all directions underground. Has anyone ever heard of there being a military base here or anything along those lines?


Posts: 36 | From: Texas! | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oualawouzou
Angels Wii Have Heard on High


Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What's a "listening post"?

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth


Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ScoutsOut:
OK, but I can't help but thing that Dahlonega is around there somewhere. The US Army's Ranger school is taught in the mountains in and around Dahlonega, GA.

Nope, Stone Mountain is some 75 miles south of Dahlonega. (Columbus is 120 miles away in the opposite direction.)

You can hike all the way around the mountain (PDF), something I've done several times. I don't recall seeing a tunnel.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song


Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh!! I GOTTA do it!

Oualawouzou, a Listening Post is a place from whence you listen.

[lol]

Well, it is actually, but I can not fathom why the ARMY would want one in the depths of Georgia. The Air Force or another service is another matter, as they care about things far away... the Army wouldn't want to spy on things in Georgia.

My vote is that either the real reson for this base is wrong, or that the service involved is wrong. or that the Army is just providing security for some other service or agency.

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mrrentalshoes
Deck the Malls


Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrrentalshoes   Author's Homepage   E-mail mrrentalshoes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You're right that I may have the branch wrong. From what he described, he was certain it was military though. It just seemed a bit odd to me to put any kind of post inside of a historical monument. Is there anything like this in any other monuments around America?
Posts: 265 | From: Groveland, FL | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cosmo
I Saw Three Shipments


Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cosmo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Cosmo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mrrentalshoes:
Is there anything like this in any other monuments around America?

What about the secret alien landing base at the foot of Devil's Tower in Wyoming?

Oh...wait a minute

I'd always heard stories about Area 51/Groom Lake/Bob-Lazar-don't-work-here-anymore/S-1 secret military bases inside of mountains and such. Even before I'd heard of Area 51 I read about a huge military installation in the rocky mountains.

--------------------
"Look at the size of Tifa's breasts! They're destroying our childrens future!"

Posts: 92 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
First of Two
The Bills of St. Mary's


Icon 1 posted      Profile for First of Two   Author's Homepage   E-mail First of Two   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo:
Even before I'd heard of Area 51 I read about a huge military installation in the rocky mountains.

You mean NORAD? Cheyenne Mountain, Colorado?

--------------------
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide." - Jerry Pournelle

Posts: 14567 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV


Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
To the OP:

You know about that one? Great now I have to eliminate you. *Screws silencer into a .22*

Now in all seriousness. While the military has never admitted it outright they don't exactly deny Area 51 anymore. Just the idea that's its some sort of alien research facility is kind of silly. It's more likely then not a proving ground for experimental aircraft. Which may explain how some of the UFO rumors got started. I know if I'd seen an F-117 before I knew what it was I'd be rather shocked.

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Davros
Happy Holly Days


Icon 1 posted      Profile for Davros   Author's Homepage   E-mail Davros   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by First of BOO:
quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo:
Even before I'd heard of Area 51 I read about a huge military installation in the rocky mountains.

You mean NORAD? Cheyenne Mountain, Colorado?
that is where the Stargate is [fish]

--------------------
Wake up --- time to die
So I'm Evil Get over it

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people

Posts: 1551 | From: NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV


Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a kid we used to live near Edwards Airforce Base. Now this was no secret base, but since they tested all sorts of super secret stuff there their range was further reaching than their advertised borders. So you would be driving along on some desert roads and then you would come across a fence and a poor guy in a hot wooden box telling you that you couldn't go down this road anymore. It was all federal land out there anyway, but some of it was supposed to be BLM and not official Airforce stuff.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GI Joe
Jingle Bell Hock


Icon 1 posted      Profile for GI Joe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Re: the OP.

Between the 50s to early 70s, there used to be an anti-aircraft missle network across the US based on the Nike-Ajax and later Nike-Hercules missile systems. Most major population centers had bases around them, usually atop convienent nearby mountains. I remember seeing them outside SF (no less than 11 of them in and around the Bay Area), LA and DC. They were phased out in the early 70s when the threat from the Soviet bomber fleet was so heavily overshadowed by ICBMs and whatnot.

There were four Nike bases in Georgia sited to protect the B-52s stationed at Robbins AFB. That's a ways from Stone Mountain, but perhaps one of those might have been the "secret base" your dad's friend was talking about. At one point, as I recall, the Nike's were armed with nuke warheads, which made security at the bases extremely serious. The bases weren't secret in the sense that no one was supposed to know they were there or what they were there for - they could be plainly seen in most locations, after all. Still, security was so tight that it must have given rise to all sorts of fevered exaggerations among some passer-bys. See if this link doesn't help out:
http://www.ed-thelen.org/

Or . . . there are two Army posts in the greater Atlanta area, Forts Gillem and MacPherson. Either of them might once have had outlying facilities in the vicinity of Stone Mountain, or their units may simply have been briefly training there when your father's friend was there.

Of course, "secret bases" tend to have highly visible footprints when located next to major cities. The only thing secret about most "secret bases" is the specific detail of the activity on them, not their locations (Area 51 being a prime example - and it's not even close to a population center!). The location of a secret base at Stone Mountain would have to be a fairly open "secret." If your only source for its presence was a single "I saw trucks once" reference, there probably wasn't a permant base. Which would tend to support the idea that your witness merely saw a training exercise using that area for a brief time.

There is another possible explanation, depending on what era we are talking about. When did your father's friend see this activity?

--------------------
Once a Warrior Prince

Posts: 496 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth


Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
GI Joe, the website you gave lists four Nike bases in Georgia: Jeffersonville, Byron, Willingham/Sylvester, and Armena/Sasser. Jefferonsville and Byron are near Macon (91 miles from Stone Mountain) while the other two sites are closer to Albany (190 miles from Stone Mountain).

Maybe he's talking about the granite mine at Stone Mountain.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Psihala
Little Sales Drummer Boy


Icon 18 posted      Profile for Psihala   E-mail Psihala   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
First of Boo:
quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo:
Even before I'd heard of Area 51 I read about a huge military installation in the rocky mountains.

You mean NORAD? Cheyenne Mountain, Colorado?
Really, now! 'Everyone' knows there's a secret military base underneath Denver International Airport!

~Psihala
(*Conspiracies don't smell any better at high-altitutes...)

--------------------
StealthPost™

Posts: 3020 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GI Joe
Jingle Bell Hock


Icon 1 posted      Profile for GI Joe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Threadslayer:
GI Joe, the website you gave lists four Nike bases in Georgia: Jeffersonville, Byron, Willingham/Sylvester, and Armena/Sasser. Jefferonsville and Byron are near Macon (91 miles from Stone Mountain) while the other two sites are closer to Albany (190 miles from Stone Mountain).

Maybe he's talking about the granite mine at Stone Mountain.

Yep. Like I said, those bases were sited to protect Robbins AFB - not Atlanta - and those bases are "a ways from Stone Mountain." Could well have had something to do with the granite mine.

--------------------
Once a Warrior Prince

Posts: 496 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth


Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GI Joe:
Like I said, those bases were sited to protect Robbins AFB - not Atlanta - and those bases are "a ways from Stone Mountain."

I always get Robbins and Dobins confused.

quote:
Originally posted by GI Joe:
Could well have had something to do with the granite mine.

Probably not. I was under the impression that they cut the granite from the surface down, so it would look like a big hole in the ground.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dofwai
The Red and the Green Stamps


Icon 22 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mrrentalshoes:
A friend of my father once told me that when he was a child, he was wandering around Stone Mountain, the landmark in Atlanta, GA. He said that he found a large passage that went into the mountain, where he saw a number of military vehicles. He got scared and ran out. Now I know that Stone Mountain is actually a giant sheet of Granite, with miles spreading out in all directions underground. Has anyone ever heard of there being a military base here or anything along those lines?

I'm surprised no one has asked this yet....

"A FOAF (Friend of a Father) once told me, from memory, a long time ago, he sort of 'remembered' a mysterious secret army base...."

Just how much veracity do you assign to this guy's story?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mrrentalshoes
Deck the Malls


Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrrentalshoes   Author's Homepage   E-mail mrrentalshoes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dofwai:
quote:
Originally posted by mrrentalshoes:
A friend of my father once told me that when he was a child, he was wandering around Stone Mountain, the landmark in Atlanta, GA. He said that he found a large passage that went into the mountain, where he saw a number of military vehicles. He got scared and ran out. Now I know that Stone Mountain is actually a giant sheet of Granite, with miles spreading out in all directions underground. Has anyone ever heard of there being a military base here or anything along those lines?

I'm surprised no one has asked this yet....

"A FOAF (Friend of a Father) once told me, from memory, a long time ago, he sort of 'remembered' a mysterious secret army base...."

Just how much veracity do you assign to this guy's story?

That's exactly why I thought it would be perfect for an Urban Legend topic.
Posts: 265 | From: Groveland, FL | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV


Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds like a false memory--maybe a recalled vivid dream--to me. I've been all the way around Stone Mountain, and there are no tunnels in it.

Unless we're talking about the Bat Cave, but that's camouflaged.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mrrentalshoes
Deck the Malls


Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrrentalshoes   Author's Homepage   E-mail mrrentalshoes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:
Sounds like a false memory--maybe a recalled vivid dream--to me. I've been all the way around Stone Mountain, and there are no tunnels in it.

Unless we're talking about the Bat Cave, but that's camouflaged.

...the Bat Cave is in Stone Mountain? But that could only mean one thing. Ted Turner is Batman!
Posts: 265 | From: Groveland, FL | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
John Stephens
The Red and the Green Stamps


Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's a link to a site detailing some (mostly) abandoned secret bases in the DC area:

http://coldwar-c4i.net/index.html

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ASL
We Three Blings


Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASL   E-mail ASL   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think a lot of you are making too much of this. It need neither be a lie, a false memory, or an outright conspiracy. I'd have to go with the idea that many have proposed that although vehicles might well have been there, this certainly does not suggest it was a military base. First of all, a military base would be guarded, vehicles would not be lying out in the open. Has anyone considered that it was just a temporary dumping ground for old US military vehicles that were completely useless, no longer worked, and were ocmpletely unsalvageable? If the friend of your fathers saw this when he was a child, then it's perfectly acceptable to assume that as a child he drew conclusions from the pressence of military vehicles that were unwarranted and, once he had come to that conclusion, simply continued assuming it was the proper conclusion to come to? The reasoning of a child perhaps, but not necessarily a false memory. And then there's still the possiblity that they were simply there for a training excercise. Although I suspect that working military vehicles would be kept underguard when not in use during an excercise, rather than being left around for any idiot to walk up to and drive off in.

And then of course, it could all be a government conspiracy that I am a part of. Can't rule it out anyways...

--------------------
"Dear Lord, please protect this rockethouse and all who dwell within..."

Posts: 1093 | From: Japan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dofwai
The Red and the Green Stamps


Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ASL:
I think a lot of you are making too much of this. It need neither be a lie, a false memory, or an outright conspiracy. I'd have to go with the idea that many have proposed that although vehicles might well have been there, this certainly does not suggest it was a military base. First of all, a military base would be guarded, vehicles would not be lying out in the open. Has anyone considered that it was just a temporary dumping ground for old US military vehicles that were completely useless, no longer worked, and were ocmpletely unsalvageable? If the friend of your fathers saw this when he was a child, then it's perfectly acceptable to assume that as a child he drew conclusions from the pressence of military vehicles that were unwarranted and, once he had come to that conclusion, simply continued assuming it was the proper conclusion to come to? The reasoning of a child perhaps, but not necessarily a false memory. And then there's still the possiblity that they were simply there for a training excercise. Although I suspect that working military vehicles would be kept underguard when not in use during an excercise, rather than being left around for any idiot to walk up to and drive off in.

And then of course, it could all be a government conspiracy that I am a part of. Can't rule it out anyways...

We are here to determine the veracity of such tales; it's what we do.

1st off - are there any tunnels in the mountain?
2nd - Were/are there (military) vehicles in them?

If the answer to the 1st question is no, it's a false memory/tall tale. There's no need to look for other explanations.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ASL
We Three Blings


Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASL   E-mail ASL   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
1st off - how do you plan to confirm that there are no tunnels in the mountain?
2nd - How do you intend to prove there were/are vehicles in them?

Instead of asking questions without answers, try comming up with a theory. The idea of a theory is to provide an explaination that encompasses what we know. Since we know very little, there are numerous explainations that would fit the requirements of a sound theory. I am merely pointing out an alternative that people seem too ignore a lot; the possibility that it was neither a lie, a false memory, or a conspiracy, but rather that the conclusion made by the observer was poor, yet understandable given the circumstances. In other words, the facts may be generally correct, but the person who is reporting them has misinterpreted their meaning and consequently tainted how we ourselves interpret these facts.

Supposing the OP had gone more like this:
"A friend of my father's said he once, while a child, saw a bunch of military vehicles in a passage (mind you, a passage doesn't need to be a man-made tunnel, or even a full blown natural cavern) in Stone Mountain, outside of Atlanta. Why might they have been there?"

This all sounds much more reasonable, and I'm willing to bet your responses would have been different, had the conclusion that the vehicles were the sign of a military base not been included. I'm simply suggesting that you disregard the whole "military base" idea as the product of a child with an active imagination and little knowledge of what an actual military base would look like. How many times, as a child, did you come to exagerated conclusions based on what you saw? Too many times to count I would imagine. The description the father's friend gave could be entirely correct, but that doesn't mean the conclusion he came to based on what he saw is correct.

--------------------
"Dear Lord, please protect this rockethouse and all who dwell within..."

Posts: 1093 | From: Japan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mrrentalshoes
Deck the Malls


Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrrentalshoes   Author's Homepage   E-mail mrrentalshoes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
ASL, that makes so much sense it's a little scary. The fact that he saw the vehicles, with the feeling that he was wondering off into an area that he thought he shouldn't be in (I'm assuming that a place where these vehicles would be parked would not generally be a part of the open park, but that's just an assumption), along with the fact that this happened when he was a child would be a perfect situation for the child's imagination to kick into overdrive a bit.
Posts: 265 | From: Groveland, FL | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dofwai
The Red and the Green Stamps


Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ASL:
1st off - how do you plan to confirm that there are no tunnels in the mountain?
2nd - How do you intend to prove there were/are vehicles in them?

Instead of asking questions without answers, try comming up with a theory. The idea of a theory is to provide an explaination that encompasses what we know. Since we know very little, there are numerous explainations that would fit the requirements of a sound theory. I am merely pointing out an alternative that people seem too ignore a lot; the possibility that it was neither a lie, a false memory, or a conspiracy, but rather that the conclusion made by the observer was poor, yet understandable given the circumstances. In other words, the facts may be generally correct, but the person who is reporting them has misinterpreted their meaning and consequently tainted how we ourselves interpret these facts.

Supposing the OP had gone more like this:
"A friend of my father's said he once, while a child, saw a bunch of military vehicles in a passage (mind you, a passage doesn't need to be a man-made tunnel, or even a full blown natural cavern) in Stone Mountain, outside of Atlanta. Why might they have been there?"

This all sounds much more reasonable, and I'm willing to bet your responses would have been different, had the conclusion that the vehicles were the sign of a military base not been included. I'm simply suggesting that you disregard the whole "military base" idea as the product of a child with an active imagination and little knowledge of what an actual military base would look like. How many times, as a child, did you come to exagerated conclusions based on what you saw? Too many times to count I would imagine. The description the father's friend gave could be entirely correct, but that doesn't mean the conclusion he came to based on what he saw is correct.

By all means, feel free to believe that the OP is based on factual remembrances and bad interpretation.

Here's a 1/24,000 USGS topographic map of the mountain. No tunnels, passages, caverns, whatever are on it.

Personally, my theory is this: A child wanders around stone mountain. Some snippets of memory from that trip remain.

Same child wanders around other areas, too. Some snippets of memory remain from those trips as well. At one of them, said child sees some military vehicles, and thinks it's a "base".

Decades later, while telling the story, said child's human brain, with it's imperfect memory functions, associates the sighting of military vehicles with Stone Mountain. It isn't a stretch - it's a military monument, after all. Perhaps some old dreams are thrown into the mix, to further cement the memory.

No lies, no mysterious passages in my theory, either - just realisticly flawed memories.

Incidentally, the thread title is "Secret Military Base". Isn't that what we're debating the veracity of, rather than a childhood "memory"?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dofwai
The Red and the Green Stamps


Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ASL:
1st off - how do you plan to confirm that there are no tunnels in the mountain?
2nd - How do you intend to prove there were/are vehicles in them?

Instead of asking questions without answers, try comming up with a theory. The idea of a theory is to provide an explaination that encompasses what we know. Since we know very little, there are numerous explainations that would fit the requirements of a sound theory. I am merely pointing out an alternative that people seem too ignore a lot; the possibility that it was neither a lie, a false memory, or a conspiracy, but rather that the conclusion made by the observer was poor, yet understandable given the circumstances. In other words, the facts may be generally correct, but the person who is reporting them has misinterpreted their meaning and consequently tainted how we ourselves interpret these facts.

Supposing the OP had gone more like this:
"A friend of my father's said he once, while a child, saw a bunch of military vehicles in a passage (mind you, a passage doesn't need to be a man-made tunnel, or even a full blown natural cavern) in Stone Mountain, outside of Atlanta. Why might they have been there?"

This all sounds much more reasonable, and I'm willing to bet your responses would have been different, had the conclusion that the vehicles were the sign of a military base not been included. I'm simply suggesting that you disregard the whole "military base" idea as the product of a child with an active imagination and little knowledge of what an actual military base would look like. How many times, as a child, did you come to exagerated conclusions based on what you saw? Too many times to count I would imagine. The description the father's friend gave could be entirely correct, but that doesn't mean the conclusion he came to based on what he saw is correct.

By all means, feel free to believe that the OP is based on factual remembrances and bad interpretation.

Here's a 1/24,000 USGS topographic map of the mountain. No tunnels, passages, caverns, whatever are on it.

Personally, my theory is this: A child wanders around stone mountain. Some snippets of memory from that trip remain.

Same child wanders around other areas, too. Some snippets of memory remain from those trips as well. At one of them, said child sees some military vehicles, and thinks it's a "base".

Decades later, while telling the story, said child's human brain, with it's imperfect memory functions, associates the sighting of military vehicles with Stone Mountain. It isn't a stretch - it's a military monument, after all. Perhaps some old dreams are thrown into the mix, to further cement the memory.

No lies, no mysterious passages in my theory, either - just realisticly flawed memories.

Incidentally, the thread title is "Secret Military Base". Isn't that what we're debating the veracity of, rather than a childhood "memory"?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
   

Quick Reply
Message:

HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins
   


Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:


Urban Legends Reference Pages

Powered by Infopop Corporation
UBB.classic™ 6.7.2