snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Military » Big cannon?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Big cannon?
Geech Fiddlestick
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 05 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Guys!

I'm new to these forums, so I have no idea how to post an image or where to host it.

But the link is here:

Big Cannon

If the link doesn't work, then just copy/paste the whole hyperlink! [Smile]

Anywho..

I was wondering that the big.. thing is that the tank is sticking it's gun into ?

to me it looks like a telescope and perhaps it's only some military dudes posing for this picture.

but perhaps someone knows?
My.. older brother says it might be.. (please don't laugh, I can't help it if he's my brother) .. a silencer ??? [Roll Eyes]

Ah well! hope to hear some snopsters clear this one up in a jiffy [Smile]

(PS: Sorry for crappy english..) [Big Grin]

-Geech

[ 10. January 2004, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: snopes ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troodon
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Troodon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This looks like a staged joke photograph using a model tank and a model "thing", which seems like it was meant to look like the male parts.

Look at some of the other pictures in that directory - they are clearly of models.

--------------------
Fools! You've over-estimated me!

Posts: 3745 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Luckia
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Luckia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks like a silencer to me too. Actually in the title of the picture, "schalldaempfer" means muffler or silencer in German.

Anyone know if that paint job is a standard camo pattern for anyone?

--------------------
If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

Posts: 106 | From: Calgary | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WonkoTheSane
Happy Holly Days

Icon 01 posted      Profile for WonkoTheSane     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The vehicle itself looks to be an M109 Howitzer.

Always assuming it's a real pic, the rig looks to be a test platform for new munitions, perhaps, or is a simulator for training purposes. Note that the framework and the concrete pads under the tank don't look very mobile, which easily rules out any kind of battlefield device.

I vote trainer or tester.

Wonko

--------------------
"It seemed to me that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilzation in which I could live and stay sane."

Posts: 1462 | From: Outside the Asylum (Massachusetts) | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThornyWreath
Happy Holly Days

Icon 01 posted      Profile for ThornyWreath   E-mail ThornyWreath   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There appears to be a symbol denoting Germany on the side of the tank. Whatever the "thing" is, I'm with Wonko, looks like a tester or prototype.

Thorny "camouflaged" Rose

--------------------
A little glitter can turn your whole day around.--Junie B. Jones

Engine 3:16

Posts: 1456 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BobtheEwok

Icon 211 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The barrel of the 'silencer' is stumpy and wide, so it would be a howitzer attachment, but if the tank is fireng via that thing, then surely it would be pointess, unless it was firing ammo with the howitzer in mind
pinqy
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for pinqy   E-mail pinqy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not a tank...it's a howitzer.

Tank: Mobile vehicle, heavily armored...all modern tanks have guns: direct fire weapons; common are 105mm and 122mm barrels...often rifled.

Howitzer: towed or self propelled. Self propelled versions are lightly armored. Howitzers are indirect fire weapons with 155mm barrels being common. I'm pretty sure all howitzers are smoothbore, but I'm no DAGB.

pinqy

--------------------
Don't Forget!
Winter Solstice Hanukkah Christmas Kwanzaa & Gurnenthar's Ascendance Are Coming!

Posts: 8671 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, that is a mix.

The vehicle is a US standard issue, self-propelled, M109 Howitzer artillery piece.(109mm diameter main gun). The cammo patern is German, and I agree with the above posters - and I have actually seen one in use... at least on a test range.

A regular M109 being fired will hurt your insides if you are close by the thing. DANG it makes a WHUMP!!!

With the silencer system, it makes about the same sound as a basketball being thrown hard onto a gymnasium floor (with nobody in the gym so you get a good reverb effect). Quite a difference!

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Warlok
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 209 posted      Profile for Warlok     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I actually saw one of these. It is a silencer (muffler) and it is German -- you can (sort of) make out the black cross on the side of the howitzer outlined in white, plus they do use that cammo.

This is a static firing range -- allows the Howitzer to live fire, and allows enough movement of the barrel that they can hit or miss the target, so they can see how accurate the crew is... But at the same time, muffles the sound, because like all of Germany, there is a town or vilage nearby that they don't want to disturb with the constant sound of live fire heavy artillary practice.

Warlok

--------------------
Inconceivable

Posts: 2755 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Warlok
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Warlok     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Malruhn - get out of my mind - there's barely room for me!!

--------------------
Inconceivable

Posts: 2755 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shoggoth

Icon 18 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Does the muffler decrease the velocity of the shell like handgun silencers do? If so, how usefull is it for testing accuracy?
Atlanta Jake
Xboxing Day

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Atlanta Jake   E-mail Atlanta Jake   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What would be the purpose of camoflauging the "silencer"? It is obviously not intended for battlefield use, so who are they attempting to hide it from?

Jake

--------------------
Remember Kids, Don't try this at home!

Posts: 1366 | From: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WonkoTheSane
Happy Holly Days

Icon 01 posted      Profile for WonkoTheSane     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Banana Jake:
What would be the purpose of camoflauging the "silencer"? It is obviously not intended for battlefield use, so who are they attempting to hide it from?

Jake

No one. It's the old military philosophy of "If it moves, move it... if you can't move it, shine it... if you can't shine it, paint it".

Wonko "Besides, they had all those extra cans of camouflage-colored paint" the Sane

--------------------
"It seemed to me that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilzation in which I could live and stay sane."

Posts: 1462 | From: Outside the Asylum (Massachusetts) | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Donovan Ravenhull

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shoggoth:
Does the muffler decrease the velocity of the shell like handgun silencers do? If so, how usefull is it for testing accuracy?

I think they operate under slightly different priciples. A side-arm silencer works by muffling a good chunk of the propelent sound, though some does still get transmitted from the back of the weapon at the chamber, and slowing the round down to subsonic speeds to eliminate the supersonic 'crack.'

Almost certainly, this device more muzzles than muffles the sound. That is, the sound is almost all there, but it is directed up and out of the muzzle and into the sky. The 'sound suppressed' generators that came into use about 15 years ago operated under a simular priciple, they are relatively quiet, unless you happen to be working on the telephone pole the generator was backed up against.

If I am right in how this device works, I would be curious if they get some interesting effects under certain atmospheric conditions. i.e., the neighboring village hears almost nothing, but the village beyound is having their windows rattled.

Donovan 'Wandering Motermouth without a Muffler' Ravenhull

GI Joe
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 01 posted      Profile for GI Joe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually . . . M109 is just the model number and the 109 does not signify the bore diameter. The system pictured has a 155mm bore diameter. And Pinq is corret: it is a self propelled howitzer (though modern howitzers do have rifled barrels).

Believe the sound suppressor pictured is a variant of the IFL "Schalldaempfer" originally designed for the Leopard 2 tank. The link below takes you to a number of pictures (half way down the page) showing a Leopard 2 firing at the Rheinmetal test range.

http://home.snafu.de/l.moeller/Schalldaempfer.htm

If you look at the blue segment, you'll see it appears to be the front portion of the camoflaged supressor shown in the OP. The rest of the device looks like modifications needed to fit the size and elevation requirements for a howitzer.

I know Picatiny Arsenal (man, that's a spelling error!) built one for their own use, but cannot find a photo of it.

--------------------
Once a Warrior Prince

Posts: 496 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages