snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Military » Marine Sgt kills attacker in Alabama

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Marine Sgt kills attacker in Alabama
bruce in france
Deck the Malls

Icon 209 posted      Profile for bruce in france   E-mail bruce in france   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just received this from my wife's NRA-member ex-military cousin:

quote:
Speaking of "gun bans," Marine Sgt. James Lowery, 22, just back from Afghanistan, was shot during an attempted car jacking in Montgomery, Alabama, Wednesday. Unfortunately for his assailant, one Thaddeus Antone (but fortunate for everyone else in Montgomery), Sgt. Lowery was able to retrieve his .45 auto and shoot his assailant, who died at the scene of "acute lead poisoning." Sgt. Lowery's father noted: "He comes back from Afghanistan safe and whole. Then he comes home on leave to have rest and peace and this happens." Sgt. Lowery is in fair condition and will soon rejoin Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 252 in Cherry Point, N.C.
It seems that this incident did occur, but this account seems embellished when compared to the story available on a local TV station. Any snopesters from that area who care to comment?

-b "got me a terrorist right here at the local drive-thru"

Posts: 210 | From: Orsay, France | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RangerDog
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 01 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bruce in france:
Just received this from my wife's NRA-member ex-military cousin:

What exactly are you trying to convey with this introduction?

quote:
Speaking of "gun bans," Marine Sgt. James Lowery, 22, just back from Afghanistan, was shot during an attempted car jacking in Montgomery, Alabama, Wednesday. Unfortunately for his assailant, one Thaddeus Antone (but fortunate for everyone else in Montgomery), Sgt. Lowery was able to retrieve his .45 auto and shoot his assailant, who died at the scene of "acute lead poisoning." Sgt. Lowery's father noted: "He comes back from Afghanistan safe and whole. Then he comes home on leave to have rest and peace and this happens." Sgt. Lowery is in fair condition and will soon rejoin Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 252 in Cherry Point, N.C. It seems that this incident did occur, but this account seems embellished when compared to the story available on a local TV station. Any snopesters from that area who care to comment?
I am not from the area but will comment. I see no reason from reading both accounts, to assume that it was anything other than self defense.

RangerDog

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nodule
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 209 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Way to go Marine.
You killed a nfbsking maggot!!!!!!!
Semper Fi!!
God Bless Chesty Puller!!
[Big Grin]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 96 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am not trying to verify or deny this one because I think everyone has a right to self defense. What I can't understand (and hope, possibly someone who has medical background can explain maybe), is this:
quote:
Sgt. Lowery is in fair condition and will soon rejoin Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron
It has always been my understanding that someone who is in fair condition still has a bit of recovering to do. I am wondering just how soon he will be rejoinging his squadron. I also can see that the whole description, as posted, is definitely a tad on the embellished side. "Acute lead poisoning" huh...up here we may have called it something like "severe blood loss due to holesnot normally found in the attacker's body" or something. Oh well.
Little "curious as usual" Duck

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nodule

Sgt. Lowrey's FATHER, not the reporter was being cute. Sgt. Lowrey"s father is credited with the "acute lead poisoning" quote. The reporter probably included that quote to spice up the article a little. Which it does! You know the media is objective and would never report anything just to sell papers or advertising.
Shape up civilian!
Semper Fi!!
[Mad]

ZenKnight, Desert Dragon

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nodule:
Sgt. Lowrey's FATHER, not the reporter was being cute. Sgt. Lowrey"s father is credited with the "acute lead poisoning" quote. The reporter probably included that quote to spice up the article a little. Which it does! You know the media is objective and would never report anything just to sell papers or advertising.
Shape up civilian!
Semper Fi!!
[Mad]

The paper should edit an actual quote in favor of blandness?

And out of curiosity, did you serve?

Otter, the Other Reindeer

quote:
Originally posted by Little Duck alone at Christmas:

quote:
Sgt. Lowery is in fair condition and will soon rejoin Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron
It has always been my understanding that someone who is in fair condition still has a bit of recovering to do. I am wondering just how soon he will be rejoinging his squadron. Oh well.
Little "curious as usual" Duck

I think the reporter was trying to simply convey that his wounds are not career-ending, and he won't have to be medically discharged from the Corps.
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nodule:
Way to go Marine.
You killed a nfbsking maggot!!!!!!!
Semper Fi!!
[Big Grin]

Assuming, of course, that the Marine's story is accurate, and the other guy actually was a carjacker. Which we only have the Marine's word on -- since the other guy is dead.

quote:
Sgt. Lowrey's FATHER, not the reporter was being cute. Sgt. Lowrey"s father is credited with the "acute lead poisoning" quote.
No, that statement is not attributed to anyone. It simply appears in the OP as the cause of death.

quote:
The reporter probably included that quote to spice up the article a little. Which it does! You know the media is objective and would never report anything just to sell papers or advertising.

Well, the reporter didn't use that quote -- at least, I didn't see it in the linked story. It was solely in the OP, which seems far from an objective reporting of the incident.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bruce in france
Deck the Malls

Icon 502 posted      Profile for bruce in france   E-mail bruce in france   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
^ to help "chill"

OK, a few relaxed breaths, and we'll all calm down.

I put the OP here because my wife's cousin has a habit of forwarding items that support his views without verifying them himself, and I found only the brief news item to counter this one. (And suffice it to say that he and I have umm... "differing" opinions on certain issues.)

The fact that a Marine Sgt on leave killed someone with the gun he legally carried in his car is not in dispute. Whether it was legitimate self-defense or not is not for us to judge. I was merely hoping that someone would be able to point me toward more substantive reporting of the event.

-b

Posts: 210 | From: Orsay, France | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nodule

Pogue Ma Humbug:
You are absolutely right!! I misread the "noted Sgt Lowrey's father" I am wrong! I am currently on my face giving myself 50 United States Marine Corps push ups.
Merry Christmas
[Frown]

dofwai

quote:
Originally posted by Pogue Ma-Humbug:
Assuming, of course, that the Marine's story is accurate, and the other guy actually was a carjacker. Which we only have the Marine's word on -- since the other guy is dead.

Pogue

I'm sure your implied situation is correct, Pogue: that the evil Marine pulled a gun and shot an innocent man, who just happened to be walking by with a gun and innocently shot him in the face. After all, we all know that all those military types are just a bunch of baby killers and mad dogs, right? [Furious]

OK, on reflection, maybe the attacker wasn't a carjacker. Maybe he just wanted to rob the Marine. Maybe he just wanted to shoot him. Maybe he was just trying to rob the drive-through window, where the Marine was sitting.

It seems to me that the true intent of the attacker is irrelevant. When someone comes up to you while you are sitting in your car at a drive-through and pushes a gun in your face, I think you have a right to defend yourself. If you happen to have a gun to do so with, that's just bad luck on the part of the would-be thief.

Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dofwai:
quote:
Originally posted by Pogue Ma-Humbug:

Pogue

I'm sure your implied situation is correct, Pogue: that the evil Marine pulled a gun and shot an innocent man, who just happened to be walking by with a gun and innocently shot him in the face. After all, we all know that all those military types are just a bunch of baby killers and mad dogs, right? [Furious]
Why yes, that's precisely what I said. You can just read it directly from my post. If not, you can make up your own summation of my words. Sheesh.

quote:
OK, on reflection, maybe the attacker wasn't a carjacker. Maybe he just wanted to rob the Marine. Maybe he just wanted to shoot him. Maybe he was just trying to rob the drive-through window, where the Marine was sitting.
Maybe what the Marine says is entirely accurate. Maybe some of it is. Maybe none of it is. The point is, we only have his word to go on. That may be enough for you, but I hope the police do a little bit of investigation.

quote:
It seems to me that the true intent of the attacker is irrelevant. When someone comes up to you while you are sitting in your car at a drive-through and pushes a gun in your face, I think you have a right to defend yourself. If you happen to have a gun to do so with, that's just bad luck on the part of the would-be thief.
Yes, you have the right to use force -- even deadly force, if necessary -- to protect yourself. But the intent of the attacker is relevant. You have the right to use deadly force only if your life or another's life is at stake.

The point is, we don't know what happened here. I'll wait until all the facts are available before reaching a conclusion. If you prefer not to do that, so be it.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dofwai

From the posted article:

quote:
A police spokesman says the fatal shooting is viewed as self-defense and no charges were filed. The case will be reviewed by a grand jury.

The police are satisfied. The Grand Jury will look at it, but most likely they will be satisfied, too. THAT is good enough for me.
StrikeFerret

Icon 217 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I figure if a man in a car ends up with a bullet in him, you sort of assume hostile intent. [Roll Eyes]

All else being equal, for better or for worse, I'd error on the side of the serviceman for benefit of the doubt. (How'd I spell that Donut six times?)

Mike "Wish this state was will-issue" F.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages