snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Military » Bob Ross

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bob Ross
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 202 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I heard a rumor that Bob Ross, the television painter with the happy
little trees and the big fro, was a sniper in vietnam with close to 100
confirmed kills and the only thing that calmed him down was painting. Is
there any truth to this rumor?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Paul (the Mouse) Unwin
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
True or not, I did see a comedy sketch once where a painting show host was creating a nice, happy forest scene:

"Let's just paint a little green here, a little green, and make a nice forest. A nice jungle-green forest.... I was in the jungle once. In 'Nam."

Things go downhill from there, as the artist proceeds to paint little "Charlies" and cover them with "Agent" orange paint and bright red napalm.

Maybe this was the origin of this rumor, or vice versa. It sounds a lot like the Mr. Rogers and John Denver rumors. The guy on the painting show I saw from time to time just seemed overly calm, like he was forcing himself not to go over the edge.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
A Midway Summer Night's Dream

Icon 602 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to biography.com he was in the Air Force, stationed in Alaska. Does the Air Force use snipers much?

I love watching this guy. More relaxing than yoga [Smile] I need to get a couple of tapes for nights after our "corporate seminars" [Smile] We lost him too soon...

Midway "here's a land mine, and here's a not-so-happy little VC..." Bill

D. Dodge Silver

Icon 209 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Air Force has snipers, but not in the quantities the Army or Marine Corps does.

I've heard the same story about Bob Ross, but a little more realistic. I'd heard that he did serve in the AF, he was in a high-stress career field and took up painting for stress relief. He found that teaching painting provided not only relief for himself but for his students as well, and thus became an art instructor.

The rest, as they say, is history. Of course, this may be one of those goofy AF stories.

D. Dodge "Ask me about Hunter S. Thompson's Air Force days" Silver

Silence Dogood

quote:
Originally posted by D. Dodge Silver:
D. Dodge "Ask me about Hunter S. Thompson's Air Force days" Silver

Okay, I'll bite. What about them (assuming you weren't making a joke that sailed over my head)?

Incidentally: Hunter S. Thompson is often referred to as "Dr." Hunter S. Thompson - but I've never been able to learn in what field he has a doctorate. Anyone know?

Sgt Otter

While Air Force Special Ops troops have always trained on sniper rifles, there wasn't a dedicated sniper program in the USAF until about 2000 or 2001.

Even then, they aren't really true snipers, they're actually counter-snipers for Air Base Defesne, whose job is to take out snipers before they can get close enough to the base to do harm.

D. Dodge Silver

Icon 211 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Re: Hunter S. Thompson

Hunter S. Thompson served in the US Air Force as a result of some criminal charges against him back home. The judge offered the option of military service and HST accepted, enlisting in the AF. He was assigned to Eglin AFB as an electrician, but quickly finagled (sp?) a position on the base newspaper. Shortly before his discharge, he published an Onion-like edition of the paper that was highly insulting to the officers in his command.

Thus began Hunter S. Thompson's journalistic career.

If you'd like to know more, I recommend "The Proud Highway" which contains some of HST's first writings.

D. Dodge "This isn't gonzo journalism, it's an article about Muppets!" Silver

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages