snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Trivia » Mattresses double in weight every 10 years

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mattresses double in weight every 10 years
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 206 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: My wife and I have recently been mattress shopping and were told
by multiple salespersons at different outlets that "the average mattress
will double its weight in ten years as a result of being filled with dust
mites and their waste".

I find this hard to believe and it sounds like a scare tactic for selling
mattresses.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RangerDog
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That is just disgusting.

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed, this is bandied about because the 'asthma prevention' market is huge.

Any increase in weight would be negligible, a few grams a year. Let's face it, unless we humans happen to be allergic bed bugs don't bother anybody.

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RLobinske
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RLobinske   E-mail RLobinske   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A rather preposterous number. Remember, every bit of the mass these purported mites add to the mattress would have to come from material they consumed (plus a considerable amount of consumed food used for energy). You don't shed that much dead skin...
Posts: 296 | From: Crawfordville, Florida | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps if they were talking about density, not weight. The foam is crushed and becomes more compact over time, but I doubt even that could account for those numbers.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
liebeslied
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for liebeslied     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bedbugs are 0.4 cm bloodsucking insects. Dust mites are teeny-tiny arachnids that eat dead skin flakes. It is the mites that cause allergic reaction, but I think the bugs are more viscerally repulsive because you can see them, and they bite.
Posts: 105 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
StewPot

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StewPot   E-mail StewPot   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So, if I had a mattress that was 30 years old, it would weigh as much as 8 new mattresses? I don't think so...

--------------------
One of my favorite philosophical tenets is that people will agree with you only if they already agree with you. You do not change people's minds.
-Frank Zappa

Posts: 135 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jimmy101
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimmy101   E-mail jimmy101   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by liebeslied:
Bedbugs are 0.4 cm bloodsucking insects. Dust mites are teeny-tiny arachnids that eat dead skin flakes. It is the mites that cause allergic reaction, but I think the bugs are more viscerally repulsive because you can see them, and they bite.

Ya, any bug you can see will freak you out more than something you need a magnify glass to find.

On the other hand, isn't the allergic reaction caused by dust mites mostly due to their poop balls? (wiki)

Posts: 629 | From: Greenwood, IN | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
spe934
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for spe934   E-mail spe934   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know.. Ever move a used mattress up 3 flights of stairs?... They seem to get heavy every flight you go up...

--------------------
Marriage is a relationship in which one person is always right, and the other is a husband

The main difference between men and women is that women need a reason to have sex, and men just need a place.

Posts: 206 | From: Evansville, Indiana USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BluesScale
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BluesScale   E-mail BluesScale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So, a 400 year old mattress, if it stayed the same size, would become degenerate matter and further collapse to form a black hole that could eventually swallow the planet.

Best to burn that sucker nice and early just to be sure.

Blues

Posts: 207 | From: Woolhampton, Berks, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
spe934
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for spe934   E-mail spe934   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just can't imagine what a 400 year old mattress would smell like anyway... eewwww...

--------------------
Marriage is a relationship in which one person is always right, and the other is a husband

The main difference between men and women is that women need a reason to have sex, and men just need a place.

Posts: 206 | From: Evansville, Indiana USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BluesScale
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BluesScale   E-mail BluesScale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, it would smell fine. Smell comes from molecules drifting away/knock from the object. As the mattress would be a singularity by then, no molecules could escape. The same is true of light, of course :-)

Blues

Posts: 207 | From: Woolhampton, Berks, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LemonLimeade
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LemonLimeade     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That same tack was used for selling us a Kirby vacuum cleaner - they have powerful suction and the bags are supposedly micro-something that don't let out even the dust mite excrement, which they said was the cause of most allergic/asthmatic reactions. Considering the weight of the stuff that collects in the bags over time, I tend to think a few grams is understating it. My asthma has improved markedly since we moved somewhere with no carpeting and we vacuum the mattress occasionally, so I guess I'm one of the lucky allergic ones.

We had some pretty ancient mattresses that my grandparents had used for decades, when we first got married, and those suckers weighed a ton. That may have been in part, though, the materials they were made from.

--------------------
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't.

Posts: 285 | From: Woodbridge, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abigsmurf
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigsmurf   E-mail abigsmurf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
the weight doubling is mostly due to sweat. You sweat a lot when you sleep and it gets soaked into the mattress.

Brainiac did a test where they put a matress into a prepared (moisture free) room with a dehumidifier.

This mattress had been used for less than a week and they got something like 2 litres of yellowish liquid from it

Posts: 824 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Soccer
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Soccer   E-mail Soccer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Only if you keep putting bodies in it :-P
Posts: 71 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bassist
Chess Nuts Boasting 'Round an Open Fire

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Bassist   E-mail Bassist   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by abigsmurf:
This mattress had been used for less than a week and they got something like 2 litres of yellowish liquid from it

They must have forgotten to put the waterproof mattress cover on first [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I'm singing and deranged!"

Posts: 239 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brrrtje

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brrrtje   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bill Bryson cites a weigth gain of 10% after two years in his book 'A short history of nearly everything'.
Posts: 142 | From: Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wanted so badly to like that book and it bored the pants off me... am I missing something?

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brrrtje

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brrrtje   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure. I'm a science writer myself, and while I have some gripings, I wouldn't be able to write something like that myself. However, if you feel like you should be getting some more info about science, 'The Science of Discworld' by Terry Pratchett, Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen deals with pretty much the same stuff, and doesn't have the endless name-droppings. It's intertwined with fantasy fiction, though. Wait five years and find me a publisher, and maybe I'll be able to cook up a popular science book that you like better.
Posts: 142 | From: Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Billion
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Billion   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Billion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ana Ng:
I wanted so badly to like that book and it bored the pants off me... am I missing something?

The key is to forget everything you might have learned after reading it. Works wonders for me.

--------------------
"For the U.S. to get involved militarily in determining the outcome of the struggle over who's going to govern Iraq strikes me as a classic definition of a quagmire." ~Dick Cheney.

Posts: 747 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages