snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Trivia » More Inane Trivia!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: More Inane Trivia!
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 603 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, my Da has sent me yet another list of fun facts with name brands! Whoopie!!!

quote:
Drinking two glasses of Gatorade can relieve headache pain almost immediately -- without the unpleasant side effects caused by traditional "pain relievers."

Did you know that Colgate toothpaste makes an excellent salve for burns?

Before you head to the drugstore for a high-priced inhaler filled with mysterious chemicals, try chewing on a couple of curiously strong Altoids peppermints. They'll clear! up your stuffed nose.

Achy muscles from about of the flu? Mix 1 Tablespoon of horseradish in 1 cup of olive oil. Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes, then apply it as a massage oil, for instant relief for aching muscles.

Sore Throat? Just mix 1/4 cup of vinegar with 1/4 cup of honey and take 1 tablespoon six times a day. The vinegar kills the bacteria.

Cure urinary tract infections with Alka-Seltzer. Just dissolve two tablets in a glass of water and drink it at the onset of the symptoms. Alka-Seltzer begins eliminating urinary tract infections almost instantly -- even though the product was never been advertised for this use.

Eliminate puffiness under your eyes.... All you need is a dab of preparation H, carefully rubbed into the skin, avoiding the eyes. The hemorrhoid ointment acts as a vaso-constrictor, relie! ving the swelling instantly.

Honey remedy for skin blemishes... Cover the blemish with a dab of honey and place a Band-Aid over it. Honey kills the bacteria, keeps the skin, sterile, and speeds healing. Works overnight.

Listerine therapy for toenail fungus... Get rid of unsightly toenail fungus by soaking your toes in Listerine mouthwash. The powerful antiseptic leaves your toenails looking healthy again.

Easy eyeglass protection... To prevent the screws in eyeglasses from loosening, apply a small drop of Maybelline Crystal Clear nail polish to the threads of the screws before tightening them.

Coca-Cola cure for rust ... Forget those expensive rust removers. Just saturate an abrasive sponge with Coca Cola and scrub the rust stain. The phosphoric acid in the coke is what gets the job done.

Cleaning liquid that doubles as bug killer... If menacing bees, wasps, hornets, or yellow jackets get in your home and you can't find the insecticide, try a spray of Formula 409. Insects drop to the ground instantly

Smart splinter remover... just pour a drop of Elmers Glue-All over the splinter, let dry, and peel the dried glue off the skin. The splinter sticks to the dried glue.

Hunt's tomato paste boil cure... cover the boil with Hunt's tomato paste as a compress. The acids from the tomatoes soothe the pain and bring the boil to a head.

Balm for broken blisters... To disinfect a broken blister, dab on a few drops of Listerine... a! powerful antiseptic.

Heinz vinegar to heal bruises... Soak a cotton ball in white vinegar and apply it to the bruise for 1 hour. The vinegar reduces the blueness and speeds up the healing process.

Kills fleas instantly. Dawn dish washing liquid does the trick. Add a few drops to your dog's bath and shampoo the animal thoroughly Rinse well to avoid skin irritations. Goodbye fleas.

Rainy day cure for dog odor... Next time your dog comes in from the rain, simply wipe down the animal with Bounce or any dryer sheet, instantly making your dog smell springtime fresh.

Eliminate ear mites... All it! takes is a few drops of Wesson corn oil in your cat's ear. Massage it in, then clean with a cotton ball. Repeat daily for 3 days. The oil soothes the cat's skin, smothers the mites, and accelerates healing.

Quaker Oats for fast pain relief... It's not for breakfast anymore! Mix 2 cups of Quaker Oats and 1 cup of water in a bowl and warm in the microwave for 1 minute, cool slightly, and apply the mixture to your hands for soothing relief from arthritis pain.

If you send this to 15 people and only one of them doesn't know about this, then it was all worth it. You might have saved a life.

If LIFE hands you lemons, ask for some Tequila & salt. :-

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SoToasty
Flock to malls with boughs of cash

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoToasty   E-mail SoToasty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

If you send this to 15 people and only one of them doesn't know about this, then it was all worth it. You might have saved a life.

Did I miss one? I didn't see the coughing for a heart attack, or immersing yourself in Ice water after you kidney was stolen. So which one of these is going to save my life?

Although I like the Listerene/toe nail fungus one. You too can have fresh smelling feet.

--------------------
Wherever ya go, there ya are.

Posts: 816 | From: Florida | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jon Up North
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Up North   E-mail Jon Up North   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Achy muscles from about of the flu? Mix 1 Tablespoon of horseradish in 1 cup of olive oil. Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes, then apply it as a massage oil, for instant relief for aching muscles
1) You'd be better off with cayenne pepper.. Capsiacin is often what gives the "heat" from heat ointments. My larger objection, however, if the "flu bit".

2) Even if this does work, why specify flu? Is there some magical horse-radish property which forces the virii out of the muscle tissue? Why has Eli Lilly not discovered this?

Oh, wait.. You specified flu to make yourself seem smart. Gotcha

--------------------
We're not insured for pickles.

Posts: 2358 | From: Fort McMurray, Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Giselle
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Giselle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you don't have Formula 409 can you use Heinz 57?

--------------------
Ralphie, get off the stage sweetheart.

Posts: 2041 | From: Yuba City, California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rainmom
Deck the Malls

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Rainmom     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Drinking two glasses of Gatorade can relieve headache pain almost immediately -- without the unpleasant side effects caused by traditional "pain relievers."

Because many headaches are causes by mild dehydration.

Rain"it is 110 degrees today so I know this"mom

Posts: 348 | From: Florida | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Casey, making hot chocolate
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Surprisingly, most of these are correct, in my experience. I prefer prepared horseradish as a sinus-clearer, though- not sauce. Open jar. Stick in nose. Breathe deeply. Peel body from ceiling. [Smile]

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
strange_little_girl
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for strange_little_girl   E-mail strange_little_girl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Eliminate puffiness under your eyes.... All you need is a dab of preparation H, carefully rubbed into the skin, avoiding the eyes. The hemorrhoid ointment acts as a vaso-constrictor, relie! ving the swelling instantly.

From over-count, an agency dealing with over the counter drug misuse

quote:

By far the main products misused in this category, are the Haemorrhoid Creams and Ointments,
sold under various proprietary Brand names.
Most are mainly soothing preparations, containing as active ingredients, mild astringents,- an
antiseptic, and/or a vasoconstrictor, with 2 OTC Brands featuring as the most popular. These Brands
are "Preparation H", and "Anusol".
We received reports from 41 Clients,-39 males and 2 females, indicating all regulary purchase these
products for specific use as an "Anti-aging and Anti-wrinkle Treatment", for topical use on the facial,
upper arms, neck and torso areas.
36 of these male Clients, disclosed having a homosexual background, and of being introduced to
the alleged anti-wrinkle and aging properties of these products, by word of mouth, or after recomend-
ations following personal use of them, by other members of their local homosexual community.
The average consumption by these Clients is 1 tube of Cream or Ointment, each week, over a max-
imum continous treatment period reported to "Over-Count", of 19 months.
It is worth noting, that all 41 Clients reported being "Very satisfied" with the Cosmetic Results
produced by their use of these products, with no Client reporting any adverse side-effects resultant
from their misuse, despite documented side-effects associated for "normal" clinical users of the
products listed as including "skin irritation", "Rashes" and "Sensitivity".
Indeed, the majority of these 41 Clients went on to state further, that the "Anti-aging and anti-
wrinkle" Cosmetic results which their use of the products had produced, were actually considerably
better in quality and effectiveness, than many other specific Products produced for this purpose,
which the Clients had purchased and tried, prior to using the Haemorrhoid Treatments, and which
had cost them, on average, up to 12 times the cost of the Haemorrhoid Creams or Ointments !!!.

I dont see why you cant just drink water if you've got a headache through being dehydrated though. I get migranes when I dont drink enough and at the first sign chugging loads of water with some painkillers can sometimes avert a full blown throwing up lying in the dark migrane(which painkillers alone doesnt do if I'm getting dehydrated)

Is there some ingredient in the fizzy stuff in alka seltzer that would neutralises the acid in the urine? Bicarbonate of soda is also meant to work although chemists own brand potasium citrate is cheap and always handy to keep at home. Again though drinking loads of water can neutralise some of the symptoms.

Sore throat-gargle with hot salt water can relieve symptoms

The thing with the nail varnish and glasses seems a bit fiddly. The screw is so small that even a small amount of nail varnish could be enough to clog it up and stop the screw going in. If youre that worried about your glasses invest in a tiny screwdriver and tighten the screws periodically.

I dont know if a dog licking bounce residue from its fur would do it any harm but its bound to not taste nice.

--------------------
I tried to get in touch with my inner child, but she isn't allowed to talk
to strangers.

Posts: 674 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
talk2sparky
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for talk2sparky   Author's Homepage   E-mail talk2sparky       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by strange_little_girl:

The thing with the nail varnish and glasses seems a bit fiddly. The screw is so small that even a small amount of nail varnish could be enough to clog it up and stop the screw going in. If youre that worried about your glasses invest in a tiny screwdriver and tighten the screws periodically.
[/QB]

Actually, this one does make sense to me. I used to work in a factory where we used a thread locking oil when tightening bolts we didn't want to come off. There's probably some sort of chemical in nail varnish that achieves the same effect on a smaller scale. Plus, it's so liquidy, it wouldn't clog up the small hole.

--------------------
"If the Internet teaches you anything, it's that there is NOTHING, NOWHERE, that someone isn't frantically masturbating to. " -snopes poster Brandi

Posts: 137 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
talk2sparky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for talk2sparky   Author's Homepage   E-mail talk2sparky       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TrishDaDish:

Cleaning liquid that doubles as bug killer... If menacing bees, wasps, hornets, or yellow jackets get in your home and you can't find the insecticide, try a spray of Formula 409. Insects drop to the ground instantly

I've been doing this for years. I hate having bug spray inside the house, so I use whatever's handy. Usually Lysol spray works the best. I have no idea if it kills thems, but their wings get coated with the stuff and they can't fly anymore and then it's smush city. I hate bees. And it leaves the room smelling all Lysoly. Which can be good or bad.

--------------------
"If the Internet teaches you anything, it's that there is NOTHING, NOWHERE, that someone isn't frantically masturbating to. " -snopes poster Brandi

Posts: 137 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
talk2sparky

Oops. Waffles.

--------------------

TokuShake'n Bake-ayasu
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Regarding the Listerine uses: I've always been of the understanding that antiseptics and disinfectants are different animals, and that antiseptics prevent bacterial growth/spread, but don't actually kill bacteria. For example, when the nurse gives you that quick swab of rubbing alcohol before the needle goes in, it's essentially meaningless. To actually accomplish anything, the swabbing would have to be done constantly for at least ten minutes.

But it could be a misunderstanding on my part. Even if I am right, that wouldn't invalidate the toe fungus remedy, although it would be helpful to know that you'd really need to soak those toes.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ToadMagnet
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ToadMagnet   E-mail ToadMagnet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Casey, at $8.99 a bucket:
Surprisingly, most of these are correct, in my experience. I prefer prepared horseradish as a sinus-clearer, though- not sauce. Open jar. Stick in nose. Breathe deeply. Peel body from ceiling. [Smile]

[lol] [lol] [lol] [lol]

--------------------
Listen ... it's Mellow!

Posts: 927 | From: Virginia | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by talk2sparky:
quote:

Actually, this one does make sense to me. I used to work in a factory where we used a thread locking oil when tightening bolts we didn't want to come off. There's probably some sort of chemical in nail varnish that achieves the same effect on a smaller scale. Plus, it's so liquidy, it wouldn't clog up the small hole. [/QB]
The varnish just holds it steady and stops the screw from undoing itself over time but a screwdriver would be more than adequate to undo the screw when you want to.

I think the OP was referring to painting over the screw head with nail varnish with the screw already in place (which works just as well)

Here is my own tip...

Problems with Moles in the garden? Simply apply Lea and Perrings Worcester Sauce to the affected area (as a rule of thumb apply approx 30 US gal for every square yard to prevent reinfestation)

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
88ShelbyZ

quote:
I dont see why you cant just drink water if you've got a headache through being dehydrated though.

Gatorade replaces Electrolites faster than just plain water. Maybe that has something to do with it.
Remarkgullabull
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Remarkgullabull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I like the philosphy of the character(name escapes me) in "My big fat Greek Wedding"

"Poot some weeendex on eet."

Apparently Windex is a cure-all. [Smile]

--------------------
Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Posts: 1961 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ranran yousei

quote:
"Two glasses" and "almost immediately" does not compute. I cannot drink any liquid that fast (yes yes, I know that it wasn't meant like that). I remain well hydrated most days, so my headaches won't be cured by electrolytes. Besides, Tylenol doesn't make me need to pee really badly, I'd call that an unpleasant side effect. >.>

quote:
Did you know that Colgate toothpaste makes an excellent salve for burns?
Mint can relieve the sensation, sure, but I wouldn't put that on a burn, thank you. Vinegar with lavender oil mixed in, sprayed onto the burn helps relieve and heal it. It's great for sunburned children too, when they don't want you rubbing anything on the tender skin.

quote:
Before you head to the drugstore for a high-priced inhaler filled with mysterious chemicals, try chewing on a couple of curiously strong Altoids peppermints. They'll clear! up your stuffed nose.
Most people I know buying a "high-priced inhaler filled with mysterious chemicals" are asthmatics. I wouldn't recommend Altoids to them when a severe attack occurs. Cheap inhalers filled with salts coated in eucalyptus oil, however, I do know people use for blocked sinuses during allergies and colds. Again, not something I'd recommend for an asthmatic attack, as those are bronchial.

quote:
Achy muscles from about of the flu? Mix 1 Tablespoon of horseradish in 1 cup of olive oil. Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes, then apply it as a massage oil, for instant relief for aching muscles.
I'll use Tiger Balm, thanks. Since We don't have horseradish commonly in the house, and I would have to put out extra monies for it anyway, Tiger balm works fine, also clears the sinuses.

quote:
Sore Throat? Just mix 1/4 cup of vinegar with 1/4 cup of honey and take 1 tablespoon six times a day. The vinegar kills the bacteria.
Ick. Won't work if I can't pallette it. Warm lemon water with honey, or straight honey is fine.

quote:
Cure urinary tract infections with Alka-Seltzer. Just dissolve two tablets in a glass of water and drink it at the onset of the symptoms. Alka-Seltzer begins eliminating urinary tract infections almost instantly -- even though the product was never been advertised for this use.
Again, not something commonly found in my house, so would be an extra expense, might as well use cranberry juice (straight) or tablets. They do the trick every time.

quote:
Honey remedy for skin blemishes... Cover the blemish with a dab of honey and place a Band-Aid over it. Honey kills the bacteria, keeps the skin, sterile, and speeds healing. Works overnight.
In theory, yes, but much like the toothpaste remedy for the same reason: gooey, and didn't work for me. Of course "normal" treatments didn't either. Had to change my eating habits and drink more water. That worked.

quote:
Easy eyeglass protection... To prevent the screws in eyeglasses from loosening, apply a small drop of Maybelline Crystal Clear nail polish to the threads of the screws before tightening them.
I've applied various nail polishes (not Maybelline specifically) and occasionally super glue. Works fine.

quote:
I've done this, only with Simple Green. Had a yellow jacket in the house once, sent the kids outside, and I squirted that bad boy midair. Fell to the ground, and I squished it. Like talk2sparky said, it soaks their wings so they can't fly. I risked pissing it off, should it not have soaked it enough, or I missed, so it was a tad scarey. Yellow jackets are mean.

quote:
Smart splinter remover... just pour a drop of Elmers Glue-All over the splinter, let dry, and peel the dried glue off the skin. The splinter sticks to the dried glue.
Interesting, but I'd be afraid that the weak film it makes wouldn't be strong enough to pull a splinter out of the tough skin of certain areas, like foot soles.

quote:
Hunt's tomato paste boil cure... cover the boil with Hunt's tomato paste as a compress. The acids from the tomatoes soothe the pain and bring the boil to a head.
And then? You aren't supposed to open a boil, it spreads the infection. Applying hot compresses often times reduces it, and makes it reabsorb into the body faster (sounds icky, but the body cleans up the ick naturally). Doctor recommended this to me once.

quote:
Rainy day cure for dog odor... Next time your dog comes in from the rain, simply wipe down the animal with Bounce or any dryer sheet, instantly making your dog smell springtime fresh.
That'll make Fido happy. [Roll Eyes]

quote:
Eliminate ear mites... All it takes is a few drops of Wesson corn oil in your cat's ear. Massage it in, then clean with a cotton ball. Repeat daily for 3 days. The oil soothes the cat's skin, smothers the mites, and accelerates healing.
Any oil will work for this. Cat might hate you, but vets recommend this treatment often.

quote:
Quaker Oats for fast pain relief... It's not for breakfast anymore! Mix 2 cups of Quaker Oats and 1 cup of water in a bowl and warm in the microwave for 1 minute, cool slightly, and apply the mixture to your hands for soothing relief from arthritis pain.
You just used breakfast as a hot compress. Oatmeal has properties than can relieve skin irritations (chicken pox? itchy skin? soak in oats), but nothing to get into the skin and relieve pain, that I know of.

EDIT: I forgot...

quote:
Originally posted by Hans Off:
Here is my own tip...

Problems with Moles in the garden? Simply apply Lea and Perrings Worcester Sauce to the affected area (as a rule of thumb apply approx 30 US gal for every square yard to prevent reinfestation)

My grandmother used to put red pepper (the powder kind) along the edges of her house to prevent ants. My dad warned me though, be careful of children and animals finding it. He learned the hard way, and it burns. His mother's answer? Soak the affected skin in milk! Same idea is applied for spicey meals. Milk seems to quell spice more than any other liquid. Something in it (casein?) counteracts the spice agent (usually capsaicin).

I don't use red pepper like that, but I have used black pepper in cupboards where the kids can't reach, and where ants seemed to like to enter from (how, where... I don't ever understand...) and it has stopped them from using those entry points for years now.

Chimera
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about spraying bugs with 409 but I did hear one of these "helpful" type hints today. I've started to do some semi-serious work on my house again (laying tiles, painting, replacing shades for curtains... ok the last one isn't really a big deal). Anyway my dad has been helping me out a lot. However I was so embarrassed when he came by today because their were gnats in my house. They weren't there last night but out of nowhere a small swarm of them apeared this morning. My dad's solution (which I didn't follow because I didn't have any) was to use hair spray. I ended up going after them with Lysol and that seemed to do the trick... either that or it just scattered them so they were not noticable.

OT side note; my dad had been working on the sink in the infested room a week or so ago. This left the sink more or less unused during that time. For some reason my dad thinks that's why the gnats appeared. I'm not sure the reason why such a thing, inside a home, would attract bugs but what do I know. Does anyone here think there really is truth to his theory? I'm just curious about where the critters came from (they literaly appeared overnight) and I'd like to prevent them from coming back. Hopefuly my dad is right and now that the sink is fixed the problem will go away but I'm not all that optimistic.

I really know if Altoids helps nasal congestion. However, I have had great sucess with pepermint extract. Just add a few drops to hot tea and inhale, if you can still enjoy drinking the tea with the pepermint added then thats even better.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages