snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Trivia » "Helpful" hints (Page 0)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "Helpful" hints
kate SPForks
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 220 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
YOMANK, Lizzy!! I bet beating a bee sting with a meat hammer would make you forget all the pain of the sting.

And I stand corrected regarding chiggers. Thank you. If you ever need clarification on Bayesian theory or other probability models, give me a ring.

kate 'my phone hasn't rung in 20 years' sporks

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 01 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
* Paper cut - crazy glue or chap stick (glue is used instead of sutures at most hospitals)
But it's a special kind of glue, not crazy glue! I don't have a tube handy, but isn't there a warning that says "avoid contact with skin"? I have seen Band Aid advertizing a "liquid bandage" product, however.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WildaBeast:
quote:
* Paper cut - crazy glue or chap stick (glue is used instead of sutures at most hospitals)
But it's a special kind of glue, not crazy glue! I don't have a tube handy, but isn't there a warning that says "avoid contact with skin"? I have seen Band Aid advertizing a "liquid bandage" product, however.
Aww. It's still the same thing. Dr. Dean Edell's been recommending it for years. The "avoid contact with skin" warning has been there since its beginning because once it's there it's there for good (more or less), and you don't want to go sticking your fingers together. Also, the "glue" version has not been through the FDA testing for purity and there could be foreign material in the glue that would not be allowed in the "liquid bandage", but I believe, if you check the ingredients, the adhesive chemical is the same.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[Purdue University entomologist Tim] Gibb says. "People sometimes resort to strange chigger remedies such as coating their bites with Vaseline or nail polish in an effort to suffocate the chigger. In fact, by the time the bite begins itching, the chigger has long since dropped off. You can't kill something that’s not there. The itch is simply our bodies' reaction to the bite."

Source He also suggests, tongue-in-cheek
quote:
"If you absolutely must call in sick to work because of chigger bites, tell the boss that you have been diagnosed with arachnid papules," ... "That is going to sound much worse than saying you have a bunch of chigger bites."
From the Washington State Health Dept
quote:
Oil based products such as olive oil or mayonnaise make it difficult for lice to breathe. If you saturate the hair with an oil based product and leave it on the hair for more than 30 minutes, this will cause the lice to slow down. This process makes removing live lice and nits much easier. Here is how to use oil based treatments:

What you will need:

Olive oil or mayonnaise (do not use homemade mayonnaise, low/no fat mayonnaise, or salad dressing.)
Shower cap or plastic wrap
Hair dryer
Special nit removing comb
Regular baby shampoo or regular shampoo without: conditioner, detangler, cream rinse or oils
Sink to wash hair in
How to treat:

Cover the infested head completely with olive oil or mayonnaise.
Place a shower cap over the hair or wrap the hair with plastic wrap.
With the cap on, briefly blow dry the hair. The heat will help kill the lice.
Leave the cap on for at least 30 minutes, up to 2 hours.
Using a special nit removing comb, like the LiceOut™ comb or the LiceMeister™ comb, remove the lice and nits. Read the step on how to pick nits.
Shampoo the hair. It may take more than one shampooing to remove all of the mayonnaise/oil.
Use the special nit removing comb to remove any remaining nits. Continue to remove nits twice a day for two weeks.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
resELution
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 01 posted      Profile for resELution   E-mail resELution   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder why there are so many brand name mentioned here? Could these be exerpts from a "Home Hints from brand names X" type of book?

quote:
Kool aid in Dannon plain yogurt as a finger paint, your kids will love it and it won't hurt them if they eat it!
Maybe I'm showing my non-maternal-ness here, but does anyone else think this sounds gross? I thought, "Ewww, kids smearing yogurt and koolaid everywhere, glad I don't have any." *shudder*

Alot of these things you could do, and some actually work, but, would you want to do them?

quote:
* Mayonnaise will KILL LICE , it will also condition your hair
Mayo may condition hair, but there are alot of hair products out there that smell much nicer and won't leave your hair feeling greasy.

quote:
* Arthritis? WD-40 Spray and rub in, kill insect stings too
[lol] "Well if it's good for the car door it's good for my joints!" [dunce]

quote:
* Peanut butter - will get scratches out of CD's! Wipe off with a coffee filter paper
So the idea is to fill the scratches with PB? [Confused]

quote:
* A Slinky will hold toast and CD's!
...and other thin flat things...

resE"So would the crack in my *** but I'm not putting anything in there."Lution

Posts: 2286 | From: Washington State | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Drew

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
* Arthritis? WD-40 Spray and rub in, kill insect stings too

My grandfather has been using WD-40 for years and his hands are full of arthritis.

quote:
* Peanut butter - will get scratches out of CD's! Wipe off with a coffee filter paper
What Kate said. [Roll Eyes]

quote:
* To keep goggles and glasses from fogging, coat with Colgate toothpaste

Ok they are no longer fogged. But how do I see past the toothpaste?
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by resErun with the sunLution:
quote:
Kool aid in Dannon plain yogurt as a finger paint, your kids will love it and it won't hurt them if they eat it!
Maybe I'm showing my non-maternal-ness here, but does anyone else think this sounds gross? I thought, "Ewww, kids smearing yogurt and koolaid everywhere, glad I don't have any." *shudder*

One of my kids came home from daycare with one of these fingerpaintings. Guess what! It doesn't dry properly! And it smells! But does the little kid care about that? Noooooooooo! She wants to hang it on the fridge for perpetuity! And the best part is, the teacher TOLD them it was yogurt, and gave them the recipe, and now the child expects Mommy to let her do it too!

Whee!

Mayo for headlice was recommended by our doctor when the OTC pesticides didn't work. You have to leave it in the hair overnight. This is not pleasant. It also doesn't work well enough to recommend. Dawn dishwashing soap did the trick, but the most important thing is to pick every damn one of the nits out of the hair and check it twice a day until you're sure they're all gone.

--------------------

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Green Kangaroo
The First USA Noel

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Green Kangaroo   E-mail Green Kangaroo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
* Pam cooking spray will dry finger nail polish
quote:
* Pam will also remove paint, and grease from your hands! Keep a can in your garage for your hubby
How can Pam both dry finger nail polish (essentially a type of paint) and remove paint? I'd be willing to believe that it could do one or the other, but not both.

--------------------
I don't know if I'd survive without a friend like you in my life. Brett Dennen

Posts: 637 | From: Arlington, VA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Green Kangaroo:
quote:
quote:
* Pam will also remove paint, and grease from your hands! Keep a can in your garage for your hubby
How can Pam both dry finger nail polish (essentially a type of paint) and remove paint? I'd be willing to believe that it could do one or the other, but not both.

Fingernail polish is acetone (or is it acetate) based. I think they are talking about oild based paints since latex doesn't require much more than water.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dewey

Icon 01 posted      Profile for dewey   E-mail dewey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LizzyBean SPF 50:

So the trick is to use the slinky to hold CD's and Toast with Peanut butter. Solves all the problems at once.

My wife has a book called "How to clean anything". My favorite one is removing berry stains. Boiling water poured from a height directly onto the stain. Believe it or not it really works.

dew"must remember to take off pants first next time"ey

Posts: 2413 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
matchboxer

quote:
* Cool whip will condition your hair in 15 min
But my pantene will do it in 3.

quote:
* Stinky feet - Jello!!
This one doesn't work. My friend, her cousin, and I were trying to make Jello...and for some reason, we couldn't get it to set right. So Brent decided to use it as a foot soak. It didn't clear up the odor, but it made an interesting trail of footprints.

quote:
Funny, I'd always heard toothpaste. I was never brave enough to try it.

quote:
* Crayon on the wall - Colgate toothpaste and brush it!
This is true, but it just has to be whitening toothpaste, not Colgate. It works great for cleaning white shoes, too. My cheer squad has always used whitening toothpaste to clean our sneakers before competetion.
Jaime Vargas Sanchez

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Jaime Vargas Sanchez   E-mail Jaime Vargas Sanchez   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kathy B:
Olive oil or mayonnaise (do not use homemade mayonnaise, low/no fat mayonnaise, or salad dressing.)

HUH? Do people in the US make mayonnaise differently? My impression is that homemade mayo is greasier than readymade mayo. Not to mention easier to spread.

Anyway the definitive method is not that. Why wait till you kill the lice by suffocation when you can poison them? Spray your hair with plain old insecticide, the one you use for flies. Put hair in a plasic garbage bag, and wait while they all fall dead. Works like a charm.

Jaime

--------------------
"Everyone has problems. They only vary in design" - Mama Duck

Posts: 4988 | From: Spain | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Jaime, I think the raw egg in the homemade mayo is the issue, not the greasiness.

As for the Raid & a plastic bag cure, well, I hope you were kidding.

--------------------

Jaime Vargas Sanchez

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Jaime Vargas Sanchez   E-mail Jaime Vargas Sanchez   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm:

No. My mother-in-law has used it on her five children.

(As for the raw egg: what exactly is so bad about putting raw egg in your hair? Wasn't that another classic folk hair treatment?)

Jaime

--------------------

Posts: 4988 | From: Spain | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wee wifey

Icon 01 posted      Profile for wee wifey   E-mail wee wifey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

why? it seems perfectly acceptable (and scarily simple and obvious), and a lot more preferable to my mothers treatment of shaved head and parafin!

little miss

--------------------
once known as little miss

"I don't Pretend to be an ordinary Housewife" Elizabeth Taylor

Posts: 2416 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Holly Golightly
Happy Holly Days

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Holly Golightly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:
quote:
Originally posted by Green Kangaroo:
quote:
quote:

Fingernail polish is acetone (or is it acetate) based. I think they are talking about oild based paints since latex doesn't require much more than water.
I've heard the same about dipping painted nails in plain old cooking oil. I also purchased a quick drying formula for nail polish which just seemed to be clear oil, it worked, but my fingers were very greasey afterwards, even after washing [Smile]

Holly

ETA on 'How Clean is Your House' last night, where they clean incredibly dirty/digusting houses, they used milk on a piece of cloth to remove dried on poster paint from a radiator which the kids had chosen to decorate, it worked, but I assume you have to wash it off afterwards, just imagine that stink when the heating comes on! [Razz]

Posts: 1555 | From: Leicestershire, England | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

quote:
Originally posted by Jaime Vargas Sanchez:
quote:

No. My mother-in-law has used it on her five children.

[Eek!]

Most household pesticides have a neurotoxin. You don't want to go messing around with stuff like that. People have killed their children that way.

Also, don't soak their heads in kerosene or gasoline. And if you do, don't smoke around them!

(Edited to fix a generality.)

--------------------

wee wifey

Icon 01 posted      Profile for wee wifey   E-mail wee wifey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Baythroid, the active ingredient of Raid, is not neurotoxic. It can cause minor skin iritations, but no known neurotoxicity.

Maybe in the old days Pesticides were non specific, but these days they are very specific to insect neural pathways, not our own. I seem to remember from UNI that insects have a different enzyme, which we lack, and therefore it "activates" the pesticides only in the insects.

little miss

--------------------

Posts: 2416 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jaime Vargas Sanchez

quote:
Most household pesticides have a neurotoxin. You don't want to go messing around with stuff like that. People have killed their children that way.

Mmm...cite?

Jaime

--------------------

Atlanta Jake
Xboxing Day

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Atlanta Jake   E-mail Atlanta Jake   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't checked lately, but I know that years ago many pesticides had organophosphates in them. Organophosphates are the class of chemicals generally referred to when people talk about "Nerve Gas" etc. As I understood it though, the concentration of the chemicals was not enough to be dangerous to humans through routine or incidental contact... But i can't attest to how dangerous spraying oneself deliberately woul be.

With that said, I would not be at all surprised if the organophosphates in home pest control products has been replaced by less dangerous chemicals. In fact, with today's emphasis on environmental and consumer safety, I would be surprised if they had not been replaced.

As for this:
quote:
* To keep goggles and glasses from fogging, coat with Colgate toothpaste
At my fire station, we use Gel toothpase to remove *slight* scratches from our facepiece (air masks) lenses, but i've never heard of using toothpaste for anti-fog. (BTW: for the scratches, it must be GEL toothpaste, because the white paste is too abrasive)

And this one:
quote:
* Minor burn-Colgate or Crest toothpaste
Sounds very painful [Eek!] !

quote:
* Sticking bicycle chain - Pam no-stick cooking spray
How about oiling it? You know... with oil?

And these too...
quote:
* Crayon on the wall - Colgate toothpaste and brush it!

* Dirty grout - Listerine

* Stains on clothes - Colgate

Am I the only one silly enough to actually buy products designed for these tasks?

Atlanta "House on fire? apply water!" Jake

--------------------
Remember Kids, Don't try this at home!

Posts: 1366 | From: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

quote:
quote:

Mmm...cite?

Jaime

Hmm
Can't cite. Made it up. But they have killed 'em with kerosene, if it makes you feel any better.

I will see if I can find any cites online. But still, I would never recommend that any parent put any bug killer on their child's head unless the container specifically authorizes that usage. It's dangerous and, in my opinion, stupid.

--------------------

wee wifey

quote:
Originally posted by Atlanta Jake:
I haven't checked lately, but I know that years ago many pesticides had organophosphates in them. Organophosphates are the class of chemicals generally referred to when people talk about "Nerve Gas" etc. As I understood it though, the concentration of the chemicals was not enough to be dangerous to humans through routine or incidental contact... But i can't attest to how dangerous spraying oneself deliberately woul be.

Jake, The regular treatment for headlice was always a solution of Malathion, which is very close relative of Parathion, meaning that they are both organophosphates.

Malathion is different to Parathion in that it has an extra molecule "tacked" on. As mentioned earlier the insects metabolism will cleave that link, and thereby exposes the insect to parathion. Our metabolism cannot cleave the link, meaning it is safe for humans.

thank you soo much. for some reason your post brought it all back to me. this is what I was trying to say in my last post.

Spam, of course raid would not say it was for use against headlice, likewise colgate toothpaste will not say it is for demisting goggles! but it is *not* harmful to the child. although it would stink like billy-o!

little miss

--------------------

Spam & Cookies-mmm

Lindane and malathion preparations are available by prescription only, and no pediatrician in my area will prescribe them. They advise the Mayo treatment if over the counter permethrin doesn't work.

--------------------

Angela
The Swordfish in the Stone

Icon 214 posted      Profile for Angela   E-mail Angela   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* Sticking bicycle chain - Pam no-stick cooking spray
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This actually worked for me one day, couldnt find the WD-40. So hey you know Pam is for no sticking in the pan why not no sticking bike chains? Too bad the whole reason my lil girl couldnt ride her bike was because I had her dad put the training wheels even and all the way to the ground. Who knew?

--------------------
He looks like an ostrich on crack.

Good morning starshine. The earth says hello.

Posts: 125 | From: Louisiana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kilmar

quote:
Originally posted by matchboxer:

quote:
Funny, I'd always heard toothpaste. I was never brave enough to try it.
before competetion.

Any mild abrasive will work to remove *MINOR* scratches from CDs (nothing will fix deep scratches as the physical dye under the plastic has been altered). Toothpaste, Baking Soda, etc.. can be used to fix scratches. I use it regularly to fix my CDs and most of the time it works pretty good.

Remember to use a lint free cloth and wipe from the inner ring outward and not in circular motions.

-Kil "5 out of 6 DJs prefer Colgate" mar

reflex
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 01 posted      Profile for reflex   E-mail reflex   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Mmm...cite?

Jaime

Just because Raid may lower concentrations of pesticide than lice shampoo doesn't mean it's not dangerous.

RAID contains Piperonyl butoxide, a poison...

quote:
The eighth edition of SAXS Dangerous Properties of Industrial Materials notes, "Piperonyl Butoxide (C19H30O5) Safety Profile: Poison by skin contact. Moderately toxic by ingestion and intraperitoneal routes. An experimental teratogen. Experimental reproductive effects. Many glycol ether compounds have dangerous human reproductive effects. Questionable carcinogen with experimental tumorigenic data. Mutation data reported. Combustible when exposed to heat or flame; can react with oxidizing materials"
cite

quote:
Are Children More Vulnerable to the Effects of Pesticide Exposure?

Yes, they are. One reason is that their internal organs are still developing and maturing. Another is that in relation to their body weight, infants and children eat and drink more than adults that may increase their exposure to pesticides in food and water. Also, certain behaviors such as playing on floors or lawns or putting objects in their mouths increase a child's exposure to pesticides used in homes and yards.

What Are Some of the Health Risks Children Face From Pesticide Exposure?

Pesticides may harm a developing child by blocking the absorption of important food nutrients necessary for normal healthy growth. Some pesticides are known as hormone disruptors, which can cause reproductive system abnormalities and behavioral changes, especially in fetuses and youn children. Also, children are generally less able than adults to detoxify and excrete certain toxins, therefore they are more vulnerable. Another, the nervous system is not well able to repair any structural damage that is caused by environmental toxins.

cite

--------------------
The opinions expressed herein do not represent those of any rational human being and are solely for the purpose of entertainment.

Posts: 487 | From: Brick City (Newark), NJ | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sparverius, the feathered serpent

reflex, I approve of your citation skills. I might, however, point out that neither of them specifically identify household pesticides as containing "neurotoxins", which is actually a rather specific term in toxicology.
Kimberly Blue

You can use all kind of crap to dry your nail polish but most of it is stinky and/or messy.
Soaking your fingers in a bowl of plain old ice water will do it in 30 seconds or so.

Kimberly "prissy girl who knows her make-up tips" Blue

ETA: The debate about putting raid on your head kind of made me giggle. My dad is a tough old grizzly guy who would have probably tried something like that if I had ever been infested. For example, he soaks his contacts (and his dentures, for that matter) in bleach. He also used to soak himself in it occasionally. His motto: If it don't burn a little, it ain't workin'
[lol]

reflex
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 01 posted      Profile for reflex   E-mail reflex   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparverius, the feathered serpent:
reflex, I approve of your citation skills. I might, however, point out that neither of them specifically identify household pesticides as containing "neurotoxins", which is actually a rather specific term in toxicology.

I should have been more clear. My original intent was to state that pesticides are harmful and should not be used for anything they're not intended for - including human contact.

If you've ever read the side of a can of RAID or any other pesticide, you'll notice it lists the active ingredients, and then lists the percentage of ingredients that are inert - yet never lists the individual inert ingredients. Here's a wonderful study from the NY State Attorney General Environmental Protection Bureau...
cite

However, after a little research, I was able to dig up a few connections. First off, some types of RAID contain Chlorpyrifos, which *is* a neurotoxin.

Here's a stretch. According to the Material Safety Data Sheet of RAID Commercial Insect Killer, this specific RAID contains Pyrethrum, which, according to this site:
quote:
Some synthetic pyrethroids are already suspected by the EPA as being carcinogenic. Long-term or chronic exposure to pyrethrum causes liver damage especially when used with the synergists and Freon propellants; causes allergic reactions and is a neurotoxin.
Anyway, to build upon my previous argument of inert ingredients:
quote:
Examples of toxic "inerts" include formaldehyde (a pesticide and a carcinogen), chloropicrin (a pesticide and a potent neurotoxin), o-cresol (causes genetic damage), ethoxylated p-nonylphenol (an endocrine system disruptor), o-phenylphenol (a carcinogen), toluene (a developmental toxicant), and xylene (a neurotoxin).
(from this site) an excerpt from:

Toxic Secrets: “Inert” Ingredients in Pesticides 1987–1997, by Northwest Coalition for Alternatives to Pesticides, 1998. 19 pages

One last thing to add...Having a chemist as a father, my sibs and I were routinely told that just because a label says something is safe doesn't mean it is, and one should always err on the side of caution.

Consider that pesticides are used to kill a living organism. It could be used to breakdown the chitin in the insect's exoskeleton or act as a neurotoxin...In either case, I'd hate to expose my child to anything that could be a potential carcinogen or neurotoxin, even in small amounts.

--------------------
The opinions expressed herein do not represent those of any rational human being and are solely for the purpose of entertainment.

Posts: 487 | From: Brick City (Newark), NJ | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
HazyCosmicJive
The First USA Noel

Icon 99 posted      Profile for HazyCosmicJive     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
* Tie Dye T-shirt - mix a solution of Kool Aid in a container, tie a rubber band around a section of the t-shirt and soak
As an avid tie-dyer, I don't get why you'd want to use Kool-Aid if you want a good shirt. Sure, it stains, but the dyes aren't strong enough to withstand repeated washings and it will just end up dull and faded. Even Rit isn't very good for tie-dyes; the dye needs to be strong and it needs to be fixed properly if you're going to have a brilliantly-hued tie-dye. My friend orders this great dye from a guy in Boulder; I'll have to get more details.

And if I may further nit-pick, tying a (as in one (1)) rubber-band around "a section of the shirt" ain't gonna get you a particularly interesting tie-dye either.

--------------------
Suddenly she realizes that amongst a crazy drunken schoolmarm, a navy swim instructor with a food fetish, a southern hick farmer, a porn star turned used car dealer, and a horny ex-football player, she won't be this strange outsider.

Posts: 701 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HazyCosmicJive:
quote:
* Tie Dye T-shirt - mix a solution of Kool Aid in a container, tie a rubber band around a section of the t-shirt and soak
As an avid tie-dyer, I don't get why you'd want to use Kool-Aid if you want a good shirt. Sure, it stains, but the dyes aren't strong enough to withstand repeated washings and it will just end up dull and faded. Even Rit isn't very good for tie-dyes; the dye needs to be strong and it needs to be fixed properly if you're going to have a brilliantly-hued tie-dye. My friend orders this great dye from a guy in Boulder; I'll have to get more details.

And if I may further nit-pick, tying a (as in one (1)) rubber-band around "a section of the shirt" ain't gonna get you a particularly interesting tie-dye either.

We tried this once. After a single washing we ended up with white t-shirts again.

Beach...it only stains when you don't want it to...Life!

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

quote:
Originally posted by HazyCosmicJive:
As an avid tie-dyer, I don't get why you'd want to use Kool-Aid if you want a good shirt.

I guess it's one of those suggestions for people working with little kids. Kool-aid is safe to use, and no moms will freak out too much if the kids get it on their skin.

--------------------

fyregirl
Xboxing Day

Icon 01 posted      Profile for fyregirl   E-mail fyregirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
* Puffy eyes - Preparation H
I KNEW my eyes were made of the same material as my hemherroids!! I just KNEW it!

--------------------
And I never want to see your rodentish faces again!

Posts: 1215 | From: Connecticut | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Glottal Fry

Icon 600 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

* Toast and CD racks make poor Slinkies!

ex

Amateur Sleuth

quote:
* Puffy eyes - Preparation H

Didn't work for me. But then, the bags under my eyes are permanent and will probably require surgery.

quote:
* To remove wax - Take a paper towel and iron it over the wax stain, it will absorb into the towel.
This one works, but you might want to use newspaper or paper bags instead; they absorb more.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages