snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Trivia » "Helpful" hints (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "Helpful" hints
LizzyJingleBells
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 500 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Got this from my aunt today. Not sure how many of them really work, but I don't feel like trying any of them out. [Razz] But if any of you want to. [Big Grin]

Some helpful hints and who would think.....

* Pam cooking spray will dry finger nail polish

* Cool whip will condition your hair in 15 min

* Mayonnaise will KILL LICE , it will also condition your hair

* Elmer's Glue-paint on your face, allow it to dry, peel off and see the dead skin and blackheads if any

* Shiny Hair-use brewed Lipton Tea

* Sunburn - empty a large jar of Nestea into your bath water

* Minor burn-Colgate or Crest toothpaste

* Burn your tongue? Put sugar on it!

* Arthritis? WD-40 Spray and rub in, kill insect stings too

* Bee stings - meat tenderizer

* Chigger bite - Preparation H

* Puffy eyes - Preparation H

* Paper cut - crazy glue or chap stick (glue is used instead of sutures at most hospitals)

* Stinky feet - Jello!!

* Athletes feet - cornstarch

* Fungus on toenails or fingernails - Vicks vapor rub

* Kool aid to clean dishwasher pipes. Just put in the detergent section and run a cycle, it will also clean a toilet.

* Kool Aid can be used as a dye in paint also

* Kool aid in Dannon plain yogurt as a finger paint, your kids will love it and it won't hurt them if they eat it!

* Peanut butter - will get scratches out of CD's! Wipe off with a coffee filter paper

* Sticking bicycle chain - Pam no-stick cooking spray

* Pam will also remove paint, and grease from your hands! Keep a can in your garage for your hubby

* Peanut butter will remove ink from the face of dolls

* When the doll clothes are hard to put on, sprinkle with corn starch and watch them slide on

* Heavy dandruff - pour on the vinegar!

* Body paint - Crisco mixed with food coloring. Heat the Crisco in the microwave, pour into an empty film container and mix with the food color of your choice!

* Tie Dye T-shirt - mix a solution of Kool Aid in a container, tie a rubber band around a section of the t-shirt and soak

* Preserving a newspaper clipping - large bottle of club soda and 1/2 cup of milk of magnesia, soak for 20 min. and let dry, will last for many years!

* A Slinky will hold toast and CD's!

* To keep goggles and glasses from fogging, coat with Colgate toothpaste

* Wine stains, pour on the Morton salt and watch it absorb into the salt.

* To remove wax - Take a paper towel and iron it over the wax stain, it will absorb into the towel.

* Remove labels off glassware etc. rub with peanut butter!

* Baked on food -fill container with water, get a Bounce paper softener and the static from the Bounce towel will cause the baked on food to adhere to it. Soak overnight. Also; you can use 2 Efferdent tablets, soak overnight!

* Crayon on the wall - Colgate toothpaste and brush it!

* Dirty grout - Listerine

* Stains on clothes - Colgate

* Grass stains - Karo Syrup

* Grease Stains- Coca Cola, it will also remove grease stains from the driveway overnight. We know it will take corrosion from batteries!

* Fleas in your carpet? 20 Mule Team Borax- sprinkle and let stand for 24 hours. Maybe this will work if you get them back again.

* To keep FRESH FLOWERS longer Add a little Clorox, or 2 Bayer aspirin, or just use 7-up instead of water.

It ends with the bread and colored twist ties "hint" as well.

--------------------
Come on, come on, we were once upon a time in love
If the only prayer you say in your life is thank you, that would suffice. - Meister Eckhart My Blog

Posts: 7725 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 214 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if anybody has actually tried these? [Confused]

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Van Couver
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Van Couver   E-mail Van Couver   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
* Elmer's Glue-paint on your face, allow it to dry, peel off and see the dead skin and blackheads if any
When we were younger we used to put glue on our hands and feet and have a great time peeling it off. I never tried face since I didn't think that it would take it as kindly as the thickskinned feet

quote:
* Remove labels off glassware etc. rub with peanut butter!
Normaly I just pur hot water. And it goes down almost immediatly

quote:
* To keep FRESH FLOWERS longer Add a little Clorox, or 2 Bayer aspirin, or just use 7-up instead of water.
I don't care if the flowers die..NOONE touches my asprin!

But it is a interessting list espcially for a messy person like me! Thanks!

bg
Van Couver *me prone to headache...nawwwww*

--------------------
FAMILY(n): Where the term insane is a RELATIVE term //Threadkiller: Watch this line.....it might be the last on this topic........

Posts: 2146 | From: Austria | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cynestria
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Cynestria   E-mail Cynestria   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My sister tried this once. Not the lice, the conditioning. Her hair was certainly soft, but it took days to get the smell of mayo out.

quote:
That one actually works. I forget exactly why, something with the enzymes in it. A paste made of baking soda and water will help too. Or at least, it always helped mine. I suppose it could technically be some sort of placebo based on putting something cool on it.

quote:
* Kool aid in Dannon plain yogurt as a finger paint, your kids will love it and it won't hurt them if they eat it!
I have to try that now. Sounds like it could be fun, as long as you clean up well afterward.

quote:
* To remove wax - Take a paper towel and iron it over the wax stain, it will absorb into the towel.

That one should work, when I did batik I took all that wax out putting it between newspapers and ironing it. If the stain is from dye that was in the wax it won't help, but melting and soaking off should at least lessen a blob of wax stuck on something.

quote:
* Baked on food -fill container with water, get a Bounce paper softener and the static from the Bounce towel will cause the baked on food to adhere to it. Soak overnight. Also; you can use 2 Efferdent tablets, soak overnight!

Soaking it with just plain water will loosen baked on food too, so either of those would work just on the liquid factor, if nothing else.

I'm not sure what's up with all the Colgate toothpaste though. Some of them, who knows, maybe toothpaste does something. But I doubt it has to be Colgate. Maybe they get a kickback. [Wink]

Posts: 3700 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kate SPForks
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Don't know about the lice, but my mom used to do this as did one of my cousins.

quote:

* Shiny Hair-use brewed Lipton Tea

A cousin and her friend tried this. My cousin's brown hair got a bit shinier (hard to recall as I was probably about 6 at the time) but her blond friend was not so happy with her dye job.

quote:

* Burn your tongue? Put sugar on it!

I think this just distracts you.

quote:

I've seen this in a few first-aid books. I believe it helps reduce the swelling.

quote:

That's one option, but a better approach is clear nail polish. It suffocates the mites.

quote:

* Puffy eyes - Preparation H

This is a trick of beauty pageants. I hear it stinks, though.

quote:

* Paper cut - crazy glue or chap stick (glue is used instead of sutures at most hospitals)

This one works... at least the glue. When I worked at a greenhouse, we often got sliced by these plastic trays while rooting pointsettias. The milky white sap of the leaves was a quick bandage for us.

quote:

* Athletes feet - cornstarch

Never thought of this one. I guess it would help reduce the moisture of the feet.

quote:

* Kool Aid can be used as a dye in paint also

Given how my counter has some red spots due to kool-aid spills, I'd say yes.

quote:

That's quite clever!

quote:

* Peanut butter - will get scratches out of CD's! Wipe off with a coffee filter paper

[Confused] Sure... :rollseyes:

quote:

* Tie Dye T-shirt - mix a solution of Kool Aid in a container, tie a rubber band around a section of the t-shirt and soak

Again, Kool-Aid can stain like the dickens.

quote:

um... yeah.

quote:

Yes, the moisture will not stick on the toothpaste coating. :rollseyes:

quote:

This just in... Colgate cures cancer, except for cancers caused by flouride. [Wink]

kate sporks

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fiona, Queen of the Dessert

quote:

The way the papain in meat tenderizer works is to break down proteins. The toxin in bee stings is a protein (actually yet another enzyme that breaks down cell membranes). I have never used it for bee stings, but the lifeguard at the beach put it on a jellyfish sting I had once and it seemed to work.

In a pinch, I bet you could use fresh papaya.
quote:
* Peanut butter will remove ink from the face of dolls

Makes sense because peanut butter is oily, and inks tend to be rather hydrophobic themselves.
B Hamilton
Xboxing Day

Icon 01 posted      Profile for B Hamilton   E-mail B Hamilton   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bee stings and tenderizer: Papain, the enzyme in meat tenderizer, breaks down the protein in bee venom responsible for the pain and itching.

Chigger bites: One commonly known remedy for chigger bites is to apply nail polish to reduce itchiness. This does not kill the chigger or treat the bite in any way. It simply seals the area off from the air, which keeps the sore from itching so badly. If you want to apply something to relieve itching, it's much better to use a salve or cream that contains antihistamines (Caladryl or hydrocortisone salves are the most common). So if the Preparation H is the kind that had cortisone, it would lessen the itching.

--------------------
"This is my family. I found it all on my own. It's little & broken but still good."

Posts: 1338 | From: Orlando | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm

Icon 88 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't see the meat tenderizer tip, but I've known that one for about 20 years now. It once saved my dad's life when he was stung by a yellowjacket and learned the hard way that he was allergic.

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jules

Icon 218 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi, this is my first post, but I've been "lurking" for a while now. I don't know about toothpaste on glasses and goggles, but a friend's dad used to put a tiny bit of dishwashing soap on his hockey mask and wipe it clear. This seemed to prevent the "steam" on the mask.
LizzyJingleBells

Icon 500 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
First, Jules, welcome to the board!

Second, the reason I discredited this one
quote:
Bee stings - meat tenderizer
is because I was thinking of the big, pointy mallet you use to beat meat ( [Embarrassed] ) with, not the powder.

--------------------
Come on, come on, we were once upon a time in love
If the only prayer you say in your life is thank you, that would suffice. - Meister Eckhart My Blog

Posts: 7725 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast

Icon 01 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kate SPForks:
quote:

That's one option, but a better approach is clear nail polish. It suffocates the mites.

Actually, putting nail polish on a chigger bite to kill the mite is an old wives tale. By the time you feel itchy the mite is already dead. I can't provide a real cite, but my father is a biologist; he read it in one of his scientific journals.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kate SPForks

Icon 220 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
YOMANK, Lizzy!! I bet beating a bee sting with a meat hammer would make you forget all the pain of the sting.

And I stand corrected regarding chiggers. Thank you. If you ever need clarification on Bayesian theory or other probability models, give me a ring.

kate 'my phone hasn't rung in 20 years' sporks

WildaBeast

Icon 01 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But it's a special kind of glue, not crazy glue! I don't have a tube handy, but isn't there a warning that says "avoid contact with skin"? I have seen Band Aid advertizing a "liquid bandage" product, however.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WildaBeast:
quote:
But it's a special kind of glue, not crazy glue! I don't have a tube handy, but isn't there a warning that says "avoid contact with skin"? I have seen Band Aid advertizing a "liquid bandage" product, however.
Aww. It's still the same thing. Dr. Dean Edell's been recommending it for years. The "avoid contact with skin" warning has been there since its beginning because once it's there it's there for good (more or less), and you don't want to go sticking your fingers together. Also, the "glue" version has not been through the FDA testing for purity and there could be foreign material in the glue that would not be allowed in the "liquid bandage", but I believe, if you check the ingredients, the adhesive chemical is the same.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[Purdue University entomologist Tim] Gibb says. "People sometimes resort to strange chigger remedies such as coating their bites with Vaseline or nail polish in an effort to suffocate the chigger. In fact, by the time the bite begins itching, the chigger has long since dropped off. You can't kill something that’s not there. The itch is simply our bodies' reaction to the bite."

Source He also suggests, tongue-in-cheek
quote:
"If you absolutely must call in sick to work because of chigger bites, tell the boss that you have been diagnosed with arachnid papules," ... "That is going to sound much worse than saying you have a bunch of chigger bites."
From the Washington State Health Dept
quote:
Oil based products such as olive oil or mayonnaise make it difficult for lice to breathe. If you saturate the hair with an oil based product and leave it on the hair for more than 30 minutes, this will cause the lice to slow down. This process makes removing live lice and nits much easier. Here is how to use oil based treatments:

What you will need:

Olive oil or mayonnaise (do not use homemade mayonnaise, low/no fat mayonnaise, or salad dressing.)
Shower cap or plastic wrap
Hair dryer
Special nit removing comb
Regular baby shampoo or regular shampoo without: conditioner, detangler, cream rinse or oils
Sink to wash hair in
How to treat:

Cover the infested head completely with olive oil or mayonnaise.
Place a shower cap over the hair or wrap the hair with plastic wrap.
With the cap on, briefly blow dry the hair. The heat will help kill the lice.
Leave the cap on for at least 30 minutes, up to 2 hours.
Using a special nit removing comb, like the LiceOut™ comb or the LiceMeister™ comb, remove the lice and nits. Read the step on how to pick nits.
Shampoo the hair. It may take more than one shampooing to remove all of the mayonnaise/oil.
Use the special nit removing comb to remove any remaining nits. Continue to remove nits twice a day for two weeks.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
resELution
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 01 posted      Profile for resELution   E-mail resELution   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder why there are so many brand name mentioned here? Could these be exerpts from a "Home Hints from brand names X" type of book?

quote:
Kool aid in Dannon plain yogurt as a finger paint, your kids will love it and it won't hurt them if they eat it!
Maybe I'm showing my non-maternal-ness here, but does anyone else think this sounds gross? I thought, "Ewww, kids smearing yogurt and koolaid everywhere, glad I don't have any." *shudder*

Alot of these things you could do, and some actually work, but, would you want to do them?

quote:
Mayo may condition hair, but there are alot of hair products out there that smell much nicer and won't leave your hair feeling greasy.

quote:
[lol] "Well if it's good for the car door it's good for my joints!" [dunce]

quote:
So the idea is to fill the scratches with PB? [Confused]

quote:
...and other thin flat things...

resE"So would the crack in my *** but I'm not putting anything in there."Lution

Posts: 2286 | From: Washington State | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Drew

quote:

My grandfather has been using WD-40 for years and his hands are full of arthritis.

quote:
What Kate said. [Roll Eyes]

quote:

Ok they are no longer fogged. But how do I see past the toothpaste?
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by resErun with the sunLution:
quote:
Kool aid in Dannon plain yogurt as a finger paint, your kids will love it and it won't hurt them if they eat it!
Maybe I'm showing my non-maternal-ness here, but does anyone else think this sounds gross? I thought, "Ewww, kids smearing yogurt and koolaid everywhere, glad I don't have any." *shudder*

One of my kids came home from daycare with one of these fingerpaintings. Guess what! It doesn't dry properly! And it smells! But does the little kid care about that? Noooooooooo! She wants to hang it on the fridge for perpetuity! And the best part is, the teacher TOLD them it was yogurt, and gave them the recipe, and now the child expects Mommy to let her do it too!

Whee!

Mayo for headlice was recommended by our doctor when the OTC pesticides didn't work. You have to leave it in the hair overnight. This is not pleasant. It also doesn't work well enough to recommend. Dawn dishwashing soap did the trick, but the most important thing is to pick every damn one of the nits out of the hair and check it twice a day until you're sure they're all gone.

--------------------

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Green Kangaroo
The First USA Noel

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Green Kangaroo   E-mail Green Kangaroo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
* Pam will also remove paint, and grease from your hands! Keep a can in your garage for your hubby
How can Pam both dry finger nail polish (essentially a type of paint) and remove paint? I'd be willing to believe that it could do one or the other, but not both.

--------------------
I don't know if I'd survive without a friend like you in my life. Brett Dennen

Posts: 637 | From: Arlington, VA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Green Kangaroo:
quote:
quote:
How can Pam both dry finger nail polish (essentially a type of paint) and remove paint? I'd be willing to believe that it could do one or the other, but not both.

Fingernail polish is acetone (or is it acetate) based. I think they are talking about oild based paints since latex doesn't require much more than water.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dewey

Icon 01 posted      Profile for dewey   E-mail dewey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LizzyBean SPF 50:

So the trick is to use the slinky to hold CD's and Toast with Peanut butter. Solves all the problems at once.

My wife has a book called "How to clean anything". My favorite one is removing berry stains. Boiling water poured from a height directly onto the stain. Believe it or not it really works.

dew"must remember to take off pants first next time"ey

Posts: 2413 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
matchboxer

quote:
* Cool whip will condition your hair in 15 min
But my pantene will do it in 3.

quote:
* Stinky feet - Jello!!
This one doesn't work. My friend, her cousin, and I were trying to make Jello...and for some reason, we couldn't get it to set right. So Brent decided to use it as a foot soak. It didn't clear up the odor, but it made an interesting trail of footprints.

quote:
Funny, I'd always heard toothpaste. I was never brave enough to try it.

quote:
This is true, but it just has to be whitening toothpaste, not Colgate. It works great for cleaning white shoes, too. My cheer squad has always used whitening toothpaste to clean our sneakers before competetion.
Jaime Vargas Sanchez

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Jaime Vargas Sanchez   E-mail Jaime Vargas Sanchez   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kathy B:
Olive oil or mayonnaise (do not use homemade mayonnaise, low/no fat mayonnaise, or salad dressing.)

HUH? Do people in the US make mayonnaise differently? My impression is that homemade mayo is greasier than readymade mayo. Not to mention easier to spread.

Anyway the definitive method is not that. Why wait till you kill the lice by suffocation when you can poison them? Spray your hair with plain old insecticide, the one you use for flies. Put hair in a plasic garbage bag, and wait while they all fall dead. Works like a charm.

Jaime

--------------------
"Everyone has problems. They only vary in design" - Mama Duck

Posts: 4988 | From: Spain | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Jaime, I think the raw egg in the homemade mayo is the issue, not the greasiness.

As for the Raid & a plastic bag cure, well, I hope you were kidding.

--------------------

Jaime Vargas Sanchez

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Jaime Vargas Sanchez   E-mail Jaime Vargas Sanchez   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm:

No. My mother-in-law has used it on her five children.

(As for the raw egg: what exactly is so bad about putting raw egg in your hair? Wasn't that another classic folk hair treatment?)

Jaime

--------------------

Posts: 4988 | From: Spain | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wee wifey

Icon 01 posted      Profile for wee wifey   E-mail wee wifey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

why? it seems perfectly acceptable (and scarily simple and obvious), and a lot more preferable to my mothers treatment of shaved head and parafin!

little miss

--------------------
once known as little miss

"I don't Pretend to be an ordinary Housewife" Elizabeth Taylor

Posts: 2416 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Holly Golightly
Happy Holly Days

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Holly Golightly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:
quote:
Originally posted by Green Kangaroo:
quote:
quote:

Fingernail polish is acetone (or is it acetate) based. I think they are talking about oild based paints since latex doesn't require much more than water.
I've heard the same about dipping painted nails in plain old cooking oil. I also purchased a quick drying formula for nail polish which just seemed to be clear oil, it worked, but my fingers were very greasey afterwards, even after washing [Smile]

Holly

ETA on 'How Clean is Your House' last night, where they clean incredibly dirty/digusting houses, they used milk on a piece of cloth to remove dried on poster paint from a radiator which the kids had chosen to decorate, it worked, but I assume you have to wash it off afterwards, just imagine that stink when the heating comes on! [Razz]

Posts: 1555 | From: Leicestershire, England | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

quote:
Originally posted by Jaime Vargas Sanchez:
quote:

No. My mother-in-law has used it on her five children.

[Eek!]

Most household pesticides have a neurotoxin. You don't want to go messing around with stuff like that. People have killed their children that way.

Also, don't soak their heads in kerosene or gasoline. And if you do, don't smoke around them!

(Edited to fix a generality.)

--------------------

wee wifey

Icon 01 posted      Profile for wee wifey   E-mail wee wifey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Baythroid, the active ingredient of Raid, is not neurotoxic. It can cause minor skin iritations, but no known neurotoxicity.

Maybe in the old days Pesticides were non specific, but these days they are very specific to insect neural pathways, not our own. I seem to remember from UNI that insects have a different enzyme, which we lack, and therefore it "activates" the pesticides only in the insects.

little miss

--------------------

Posts: 2416 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jaime Vargas Sanchez

quote:
Most household pesticides have a neurotoxin. You don't want to go messing around with stuff like that. People have killed their children that way.

Mmm...cite?

Jaime

--------------------

Atlanta Jake
Xboxing Day

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Atlanta Jake   E-mail Atlanta Jake   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't checked lately, but I know that years ago many pesticides had organophosphates in them. Organophosphates are the class of chemicals generally referred to when people talk about "Nerve Gas" etc. As I understood it though, the concentration of the chemicals was not enough to be dangerous to humans through routine or incidental contact... But i can't attest to how dangerous spraying oneself deliberately woul be.

With that said, I would not be at all surprised if the organophosphates in home pest control products has been replaced by less dangerous chemicals. In fact, with today's emphasis on environmental and consumer safety, I would be surprised if they had not been replaced.

As for this:
quote:
At my fire station, we use Gel toothpase to remove *slight* scratches from our facepiece (air masks) lenses, but i've never heard of using toothpaste for anti-fog. (BTW: for the scratches, it must be GEL toothpaste, because the white paste is too abrasive)

And this one:
quote:
* Minor burn-Colgate or Crest toothpaste
Sounds very painful [Eek!] !

quote:
How about oiling it? You know... with oil?

And these too...
quote:

* Dirty grout - Listerine

Am I the only one silly enough to actually buy products designed for these tasks?

Atlanta "House on fire? apply water!" Jake

--------------------
Remember Kids, Don't try this at home!

Posts: 1366 | From: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

quote:
Originally posted by Jaime Vargas Sanchez:
quote:

Mmm...cite?

Jaime

Hmm
Can't cite. Made it up. But they have killed 'em with kerosene, if it makes you feel any better.

I will see if I can find any cites online. But still, I would never recommend that any parent put any bug killer on their child's head unless the container specifically authorizes that usage. It's dangerous and, in my opinion, stupid.

--------------------

wee wifey

quote:
Originally posted by Atlanta Jake:
I haven't checked lately, but I know that years ago many pesticides had organophosphates in them. Organophosphates are the class of chemicals generally referred to when people talk about "Nerve Gas" etc. As I understood it though, the concentration of the chemicals was not enough to be dangerous to humans through routine or incidental contact... But i can't attest to how dangerous spraying oneself deliberately woul be.

Jake, The regular treatment for headlice was always a solution of Malathion, which is very close relative of Parathion, meaning that they are both organophosphates.

Malathion is different to Parathion in that it has an extra molecule "tacked" on. As mentioned earlier the insects metabolism will cleave that link, and thereby exposes the insect to parathion. Our metabolism cannot cleave the link, meaning it is safe for humans.

thank you soo much. for some reason your post brought it all back to me. this is what I was trying to say in my last post.

Spam, of course raid would not say it was for use against headlice, likewise colgate toothpaste will not say it is for demisting goggles! but it is *not* harmful to the child. although it would stink like billy-o!

little miss

--------------------

Spam & Cookies-mmm

Lindane and malathion preparations are available by prescription only, and no pediatrician in my area will prescribe them. They advise the Mayo treatment if over the counter permethrin doesn't work.

--------------------

Angela
The Swordfish in the Stone

Icon 214 posted      Profile for Angela   E-mail Angela   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This actually worked for me one day, couldnt find the WD-40. So hey you know Pam is for no sticking in the pan why not no sticking bike chains? Too bad the whole reason my lil girl couldnt ride her bike was because I had her dad put the training wheels even and all the way to the ground. Who knew?

--------------------
He looks like an ostrich on crack.

Good morning starshine. The earth says hello.

Posts: 125 | From: Louisiana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages