snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Diversions » Urban Legends Contest #7 » Hapax legomenon: a pop music game (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hapax legomenon: a pop music game
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure picking this title has turned everyone off before we even get started, but a hapax legomenon is "a word or form that occurs only once in the recorded corpus of a given language." I thought it would be fun to try to find hapax in lyrics. (Why does this sound boring even before I start?) For instance, I can only think of one pop song that contains the word "efficacious." Name it, and you get to set the next one.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lily the Pink, the Pink, the Pink.

Darn you, Chloe, now I have an Irish Rovers earworm.

Seaboe

ETA: Can I use Philippic for the next one?

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, because you got it right! (But what's wrong with The Scaffold?)

--------------------

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nothing, I suppose, but the version of Lily the Pink I have is the Irish Rovers.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KaiTheInvader
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KaiTheInvader   Author's Homepage   E-mail KaiTheInvader   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"a simple desultory philippic"- simon and garfunkel

hooray for my weird taste in music!

my word is "divagation"

--------------------
Resurrection of mankind to careen in silent pace. Feeling lonely. I am the dream that nobody dreams of, but will you dream of me, and dream of eternal desire? If you dream of me, will you live for me? Will you? Will you?

Posts: 344 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TwoGuyswithaHat
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwoGuyswithaHat   E-mail TwoGuyswithaHat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Cassandra" by the Cruxshadows or at least that's what google shows.

my word is "cartography"

--------------------
In politics, absurdity is not a handicap - Napoleon Bonaparte

Posts: 1801 | From: The Forest City, Ontario | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kid Kilowatt
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Kilowatt   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm thinking the Weakerthans, "Aside", but I swear there's a Neutral Milk Hotel song, too. (Or "Maps" by Yeah Yeah Yeahs.) [Big Grin]
How about "sexless"? (If you know the song, this is a layup.)
ETA: I was driving home and realized it wasn't NMH, it was Bright Eyes, "You Will. You? Will. You? Will." - "You said go explore those other women, the cartography of their bodies..."

--------------------
The book says, "We might be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."
- Magnolia

Posts: 252 | From: East Greenwich, RI, what! | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TwoGuyswithaHat
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwoGuyswithaHat   E-mail TwoGuyswithaHat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
*sings* And amateur cartography,
I breathe in deep before I spread these maps out on my bedroom floor. ... er, sorry about that.

You're right.

--------------------
In politics, absurdity is not a handicap - Napoleon Bonaparte

Posts: 1801 | From: The Forest City, Ontario | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cabcere
A View to a Krill

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cabcere   E-mail Cabcere   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kid Kilowatt:

Would that be the "sexless patients" in Dylan's "Desolation Row"? I don't remember the exact lyric, but I'm pretty sure it's in there...so I'm going to go ahead and throw "semolina" out there as the next one. ;-) (If I'm wrong, just ignore that.)
Posts: 56 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tabbymago
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Tabbymago   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tabbymago   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"I Am The Walrus," the Beatles (although I prefer the Oingo Boingo cover).

My word is "unapologetically."

-Tabby
the princess with claws

--------------------
If you don't appreciate the irony, the irony appreciates.

"Sappiness and medieval violence: it's a wonderful combination. Like chocolate and peanut butter for the mind." -me on my fantasy novel-in-progress

Posts: 2281 | From: Arizona | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by And a Tabby New Year:
My word is "unapologetically."

Alanis Morissette, "So Pure"

My word is "tumultuous".

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senior

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Tumultuous is found in both Robert Burns' "On a Bank of Flowers" and Robert Service's "Song of the Wage Slave."

My word is "pusser."

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Senior:
Tumultuous is found in both Robert Burns' "On a Bank of Flowers" and Robert Service's "Song of the Wage Slave."

I was going for Jimmy Buffett's "They Don't Dance Like Carmen No More".

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senior

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know Buffett very well, I am familiar with both Burns and Service. BTW, both the poems I mentioned have been set to music.

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Phil'sGirl
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phil'sGirl     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Senior, I'm going waaay out on a limb for "Diesel and Shale by Cyril Tawney.

How about wheelhouse?

--------------------
"Nobody ever looks like McCarthy, sir. That's how they get in the door in the first place" Toby on The West Wing

Posts: 816 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kid Kilowatt
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Kilowatt   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cabcere:
quote:
Originally posted by Kid Kilowatt:

Would that be the "sexless patients" in Dylan's "Desolation Row"? I don't remember the exact lyric, but I'm pretty sure it's in there...so I'm going to go ahead and throw "semolina" out there as the next one. ;-) (If I'm wrong, just ignore that.)
You're right, Cabcere - Dr. Filth's sexless patients. I forgot about that one, I was thinking about Guided by Voices, "A Salty Salute" - "Disarm the sexless!". So I guess mine wan't a hapax legomemnon. Good job, though, and welcome to the board.

--------------------
The book says, "We might be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."
- Magnolia

Posts: 252 | From: East Greenwich, RI, what! | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Damian
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Phil'sGirl, smiling politely:
Senior, I'm going waaay out on a limb for "Diesel and Shale by Cyril Tawney.

How about wheelhouse?

Sting - The Wild, Wild Sea.

"Moot"

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'mNotDedalus
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'mNotDedalus   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'mNotDedalus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm especially reminded of Rick Springfield's use of "moot" in "Jessie's Girl," as candy from strangers told me a hysterical story based on the lyric.

Hmm...mine's "nostril."

--------------------
The salty fragrance of L’Eau I’mNotDedalus - made entirely of and entirely for sea turtles.

Posts: 1983 | From: Chicagoland, IL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

quote:
Originally posted by I'mNotDedalus:
Hmm...mine's "nostril."

I doubt this is what you're going for, but in Weird Al's "Albuquerque" there's the "big fat hermaphrodite with a Flock of Seagulls haircut and only one nostril."

--------------------

I'mNotDedalus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'mNotDedalus   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'mNotDedalus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[Big Grin] Nope, Cervus, although that is funny.

--------------------
The salty fragrance of L’Eau I’mNotDedalus - made entirely of and entirely for sea turtles.

Posts: 1983 | From: Chicagoland, IL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
YeeMum

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YeeMum   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hehe Cervus I went straight to Weird Al too!
"Ray Stevens" has a tune about "Ned Nostril (And His South Seas Paradise, Puts Your Blues On Ice, Cheap At Twice the Price Band)"

--------------------
Contact me for discounts
Charter member WNDMDC
"I am putting you on hold now.Listen to the elevator music and LIKE it."~My 'J'

Posts: 1816 | From: NE, Oregon | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'mNotDedalus

Dagnabit, you nerds! It's from The Doors' "Horse Latitudes": "In mute nostril agony...," the nostril being that of a drowning horse. It's about the horror of Spanish garrisons jettisoning horses overboard, in order to lose "excess weight." Very disturbing.

Personally, I think the poem is a work of genius. IIRC, Morrison wrote it when he was only 16 (possibly younger)!

Alright, time for someone else.

--------------------

Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Fifty pee."

--------------------

callee
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for callee         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm too lazy to google up the answer to any of these, but if any of you feel up to what should be a google-free challenge, how about telling me the only song to incorporate a full chromatic scale? (for those non-musical types, a chromatic scale is a progression of notes from one tone to its equivalent a full octave away, which proceeds through each little semi-tone inbetween.)

--------------------
a moment for old friends now estranged, victims of the flux of alliances and changing perceptions. There was something there once, and that something is worth honoring as well. - John Carroll

Posts: 3375 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Hey, you're not supposed to be googling, anyway! Bunch of rotten dirty cheaters...

--------------------

YeeMum

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YeeMum   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The only? song so far I don't think we have found anything that was 'only' found one place.

However , Callee , I would wager 'YES' has come close

--------------------
Contact me for discounts
Charter member WNDMDC

Posts: 1816 | From: NE, Oregon | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
callee

Icon 1 posted      Profile for callee         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never heard a full chromatic scale in any of Yes' work, but I haven't heard all of it.

Remember, though, I am looking for a full chromatic scale. Thus, in the key of C that would be a progression of C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G#, A, A#, B, C.

AFAIK, that full progression has only occurred in one modern pop song, but feel free to come up with more!

--------------------
a moment for old friends now estranged, victims of the flux of alliances and changing perceptions. There was something there once, and that something is worth honoring as well. - John Carroll

Posts: 3375 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
YeeMum

quote:
Originally posted by I'mNotDedalus:
Dagnabit, you nerds! It's from The Doors' "Horse Latitudes": "In mute nostril agony...," the nostril being that of a drowning horse. It's about the horror of Spanish garrisons jettisoning horses overboard, in order to lose "excess weight." Very disturbing.

Personally, I think the poem is a work of genius. IIRC, Morrison wrote it when he was only 16 (possibly younger)!

Alright, time for someone else.

I do not recall reading it had to be the best or even good. I thought ( there I go) 'the only' was the criteria. And those were the first ones thought of. Still not the 'only' anyway

--------------------
Contact me for discounts
Charter member WNDMDC

I'mNotDedalus

quote:
Originally posted by YeeMum:
I do not recall reading it had to be the best or even good. I thought ( there I go) 'the only' was the criteria. And those were the first ones thought of. Still not the 'only' anyway

Precisely. But it wasn't until today that I even knew someone else had written "nostril" in a lyric. So I lose. Are ya happy! Huh? 'Cause...um...I'm feelin' a bit happy, about...stuff.

--------------------

YeeMum

Icon 99 posted      Profile for YeeMum   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But this is how we learn these things..Isn't it?

I think this could be fun ..If it doesn't become a google contest.

--------------------
Contact me for discounts
Charter member WNDMDC

Seaboe Muffinchucker

One of the reasons I haven't been back is because I can't think of any more unusual words without getting into the made up ones, like Supercalifragilisticexpealadocious.

Searching song lyrics is a problematical game. I've been trying to figure out how many fairly well known songs mention Boeing planes and had to give up. It's too hard to search accurately.

747, 707 and (I think) 737 were the only ones I found well known songs for.

Seaboe

--------------------

Mistletoey Chloe

"There'a 747 comin' out of the night
There's no power; they don't know why..."

--------------------

Seaboe Muffinchucker

Ooh...Chloe, that's one I don't have.

Seaboe.

--------------------

A Guy Named Goo
Carol of the Bills

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Guy Named Goo   Author's Homepage   E-mail A Guy Named Goo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Are we still on the chromatic scale thing? All roads point to "Colour my World" by Chicago, unless I'm misremembering my musical trivia. I think I was later told that it doesn't actually include the entire chromatic scale, though. I took one semester of music in college before I dropped out, and this was one of the random facts my prof threw out. Wish I'd paid more attention instead of writing in my notebook all through class and BSing my way into an A...

--------------------
“I really feel like this is part of my life's work....It's part of what I want to do with my time here....So if I can make a difference at all by talking openly about myself, I'm glad.” - Anthony Rapp, Without You, pp. 206-207

Posts: 592 | From: Kenduskeag, ME | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
callee

I'd have to listen to it again to be sure, but I think "Colour my World" does indeed only use a partial scale. In any case, wasn't the one I was thinking of!

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages