snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Weird News » Elmo wants you dead!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo wants you dead!
Casey, making hot chocolate
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This can't be... and yet, it sure as can be is. [Eek!]

A Dallas woman bought a copy of "Potty Time with Elmo" for her kid, only to find out that Elmo wants her daughter dead- Who wants to die???

Am I the only one that hears that pretty clearly? I can't think of anything else it could easily be.

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ean
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Ean   E-mail Ean   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Elmo's finally snapped.

All those years of being tickled and suffering the Henson Enema have pushed him over the edge. [Wink]

--------------------
"Any more of this nonsense and we'll have a short, sharp visit from the Smack Fairy!"

"Music will get you through times of no love better than love will get you through times of no music"
- GiNGER - Something To Believe In

Posts: 178 | From: Shropshire, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
boogers
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for boogers   Author's Homepage   E-mail boogers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, you know what they give the Tickle-me Elmo before they put him in the box, don't you?

Testicles! (Test tickles, get it, ha ha)

Posts: 1111 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 301 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Elmo knows where you live." (10 pts for reference)

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ean:
All those years of being tickled and suffering the Henson Enema have pushed him over the edge. [Wink]

Just FYI, Elmo's puppeteer is Kevin Clash, not Henson.

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Boodles the Poorly Drawn Kid
Ron Mexico

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boodles the Poorly Drawn Kid     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan:

The Simpsons, Episode "MIssionary Impossible."
ETA: I can hear it very clearly. I also find it hilarious in an incredibly dark, twisted fashion.

--------------------
"You deny me the Freshmaker?"

--Happy Noodle Boy

Posts: 23 | From: Laurel, Maryland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Griffin at the Maul
Joyeux New Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Griffin at the Maul     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Casey, swimming in the sea:
Am I the only one that hears that pretty clearly? I can't think of anything else it could easily be.

The story that they showed on the local news here in Dallas played the audio before the mother said what she heard, and prior to her statement, it sounded like "Haha, who wants to go?"...but then, after she said what she heard, you can definitely hear the "Who wants to die..."

--------------------
Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

Posts: 782 | From: Arlington, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troodon
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troodon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently, her murderous book is one of a kind. It may be valuable...

--------------------
Fools! You've over-estimated me!

Posts: 3745 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wizard of Yendor
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wizard of Yendor   E-mail Wizard of Yendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Griffin in the wind:
quote:

The story that they showed on the local news here in Dallas played the audio before the mother said what she heard, and prior to her statement, it sounded like "Haha, who wants to go?"...but then, after she said what she heard, you can definitely hear the "Who wants to die..."
Hmm, you're right. Or "who has to go" perhaps.
Posts: 2352 | From: California | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 301 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boodles the Poorly Drawn Kid:
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan:

The Simpsons, Episode "MIssionary Impossible."

You get the points, Boodles. Elmo will be by soon enough to deliver them.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Boodles the Poorly Drawn Kid
Ron Mexico

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boodles the Poorly Drawn Kid     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yay!

--------------------
"You deny me the Freshmaker?"

--Happy Noodle Boy

Posts: 23 | From: Laurel, Maryland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VersesBatman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I knew Elmo was too good to be true.

--------------------
It's like they took a bunch of movies, put them in a blender and turned it on really fast!-Mystery Science Theater 3000

Posts: 2603 | From: Magna, Utah | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The story said several parents had complained. It also said Elmo was supposed to say "Who wants to try to go potty" I guess try sounded like die and he got cut off. I played the video without telling my friend what Elmo was supposed to say, and he heard "who wants to die" He thought it was a joke website.

Boodles, I also find it hilarious.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oy vey iz mir
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oy vey iz mir   E-mail Oy vey iz mir   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds to me like it says "Uh-oh, who wants to go." I was hoping it would be something more dramatic, like Elmo's voice suddenly lowering several octives and speaking curses in latin. *shrug*
Posts: 351 | From: Fairbanks, AK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tantei Kijo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tantei Kijo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tantei Kijo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone claiming to be from the company posted here at the poe-news forum. He says that the original was indeed "who wants to go?" and that audio compression occasionally causes problems like this.

--------------------
Bender: Though you may have to make a metaphorical "deal with the devil". And by "devil", I mean the robot devil, and by "metaphorically" I mean get your coat. ------------ My sad site: A new way to be bored.

Posts: 722 | From: Colorado | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mochrie99
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mochrie99   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mochrie99   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I dunno, maybe its me, but the idea of Elmo teaching potty training is a little too disturbing for my tastes.

Mochrie99

Posts: 80 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey Blue

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey Blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wizard of Yendor:
quote:
Originally posted by Griffin in the wind:
quote:

Hmm, you're right. Or "who has to go" perhaps.
I saw this on the news too before they said what he was supposed to say and I heard 'die' as well.. So at least for me there is no 'hearing what I wanted to hear'. In fact I didn't even know it was an outrage piece until they got into it, just thought it was the years biggest toy or some such thing.

--------------------
"All people are responsible for the good that they didn't do"

Posts: 4774 | From: Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Yleemjseg
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yleemjseg   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's pretty weird. I hope they figure out what happened; i'm curious.

Our kids here have a Wiggles guitar that plays a song that goes "One Zucchini, one tomato".
And of course, they have accents, so i heard my son singing "One bikini, one fat bottom..." and it does sound quite a bit like that.

It might sorta be my fault, as he and i have spent some time in a bookstore with spelling-type books making them say "bum" and things like that.
For an 8 year old, he has quite a good sense of language and puns!

Anyway, there usually is a bit of problem with clarity in kids' toys that have such recordings. Unless you're listening carefully, it's possible to hear all sorts of weird things in them.

Posts: 225 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Elmo says "Who wants to try?" That's all. (The other versions say "Who want to try to go potty?") People imagine the worst things all the time in these speaking toys.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fleance
Tefellin Groovy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fleance   E-mail Fleance   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think he's saying, "Who wants to try--," but it could (and does) sound like what you're supposed to be hearing. All it seems to be is a defect in the book.

--------------------
"The moon is down. I have not heard the clock."

Posts: 9 | From: Maryland | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fleance:
I think he's saying, "Who wants to try--," but it could (and does) sound like what you're supposed to be hearing. All it seems to be is a defect in the book.

My first thought is that it probably was 'try' but the more I listened, it just didn't sound like that. Then after I read above that someone suggested 'go', I could see that being the case as well, but hearing "die" certainly isn't the imagination IMO- it sounds more like 'die' to me than the other two.
Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey he was forcibly addicted to drugs by a toddler of course he's going to harbour some resentment.
http://www.fugly.com/media/download.php?cat=IMAGES&id=9409&sort=&order=&rating=&per_page=
and of course he has been running with a bad crowd.
http://www.bertisevil.tv/pages/bert056.htm

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SweetieBird
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SweetieBird     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have one of the "who wants to die?" books--or rather, my daughter does--or rather, my daughter did, because now I hid it from her.

Maybe I'm just really affected by the power of suggestion, but it really seems to say "Uh-oh, who wants to die?" I remember "reading" the book with my daughter and not knowing what the heck he was saying.

ETA: I don't think it could be that Elmo was supposed to say "Uh-oh, who wants to try to go potty?" because why would he start that question with "Uh-oh"? That doesn't make sense to me.

--------------------
"Bad grammar makes me [sic]" -- seen on a t-shirt

Posts: 319 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When you see a dark patch forming on the childs pants then yes the sentance would start with Uh-oh.

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
1958Fury
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1958Fury   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to work in a toy store that stocked several talking books. When playing with the books (you expected me to actually work?) I noticed that different books spoke with different pitches. It's hard to notice unless you have two or three of the books side by side, and press one button after another.

Anyway, some phrases were harder to understand at different pitches, or were more likely to sound like something else. I don't know if that's the case here, though.

--------------------
I believe I'm growing skeptical of cynicism.
Myspace NWN Board

Posts: 917 | From: Nashville TN | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
animal73
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for animal73   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I own one of these wonderful books (bought it off of Ebay). It does alternate between "Who has to go" and "Who wants to die?". And the way Elmo says it, there's no mistaking "die" for "try".

--------------------
Never take a sleeping pill and a laxative the same night.

Canton Maddogs Rugby

Posts: 440 | From: Canton, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abby 68
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 607 posted      Profile for abby 68   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I told people he was evil.......800.00 per doll....but noooooooooooo [Razz]
Posts: 1932 | From: Toronto | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages