snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Legal Affairs » Can you post your own bail?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can you post your own bail?
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 205 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never been arrested, so my only experience with it comes through TV shows and movies, which always portray arrested persons as waiting around in cells until friends or relatives come to bail them out. (Evidently no TV or film character has ever needed the services of a bail bondsman.)

My question: Do states have specific laws or regulations that prohibit arrestees from posting their own bail? Or is it more the case that there's simply no practical way to do it, since the police confiscate your personal possessions (including your wallet) when you're booked?

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dark Blue
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dark Blue   E-mail Dark Blue   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know that here there is nothing against it, its just that the jail here doesn't except checks or cards, cash only and most people don't usually carry around that kind of cash with them. If you get arrested somewhere besides maybe at home, its doubtful that you will be able to get the money before going, and so have to depend on a friend or family memeber to get it for you. I have booked people who have posted their own bail though. I suppose jails policy on bail can vary from jail to jail.

--------------------
I'm a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf. -- On Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs by LTC. Dave Grossman, USA (Ret)

Posts: 675 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CD
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In Massachusetts if, like stated above, you have the loot on you, you may post your own bail. However, if you are intoxicated while arrested you must have a ride. Also, if you are a juvenile who can happen to post your own bail, you still must have a parent/guardian pick you up.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JFB
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JFB   E-mail JFB   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The bail bond seems to work for most unbefriended prisoners.

That still leaves us with states issuing conditions for release but depriving prisoners the ability to meet those conditions through their own means.

Seems Constitutionally problematic. Any professionals or better researchers than me want to shed some light on that?

Posts: 472 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
My question: Do states have specific laws or regulations that prohibit arrestees from posting their own bail?

Kentucky law is nearly unique in this area, because it prohibits bail bondsmen. But it does allow you to post your own bond, or put up your own property.

The only time this would be prohibited is when you have a "third-party, unsecured bond." That means someone else would have to sign you out and pledge that you will return. It's kinda one step down from an OR bond in that you are not quite responsible enough to sign yourself out.

In fact, the only person prohibited from posting your bond is your lawyer.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In California, an individual can post with the court the cash amount of the bail to secure his or her return to court on the set times and dates until the case is concluded. Then the bail is refunded. You can also pledge a "property bond." Posting a property bond means you pledge the value of real property to the court to guarantee the defendant will appear in court. property bond. efore the court can accept the property as a defendant's bail, there will be a hearing. At the hearing, the court will determine who is the legal owner of the property and how much it is worth.

The above is from sn assortment of superioer court web sites

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jsbumed

In Illinois there is no problem paying your own bail. In fact some officers in slower towns will even offer to take you to an ATM to get the money
AliBaba
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliBaba   E-mail AliBaba   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Evidently no TV or film character has ever needed the services of a bail bondsman.)
One exception - the character of Max Cherry in " Jackie Brown" was a bailbondsmen.

Ali "half a million dollars will always be missed" Baba

Posts: 3068 | From: Kensington, MD | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Introducing, the Pogues:

Why's that? Just general conflict of interest?

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Bentley:
quote:
Originally posted by Introducing, the Pogues:

Why's that? Just general conflict of interest?
Yes, although I don't know the specific reasons.

Pogue

--------------------

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Driver_8

quote:
In Illinois there is no problem paying your own bail. In fact some officers in slower towns will even offer to take you to an ATM to get the money
Wish they did that for me. I spent 6 hours in the pokey in McHenry County for driving suspended. Four bucks short of bond... Grrrrr! And yes, they would let me pay for my own bond. Once I found a friend who was home and knew I would get out, I told the guard to give $9 of my money to a really old guy that was short that amount with no family. He said that they could not do that. So a modification to the above question... Can one 'arrestee' post bond for another 'arrestee'?
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never seen it happen on television on most of them I've seen. Most of them had a friend post bail. Maybe you can bribe the guards up front with hundreds.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Homsar999
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Homsar999     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Could somebody who isn't related to the 'arrestee' at all post bail for them? What I'm saying is, if there was some guy who needed bail, and you just decided to bail him out, without knowing or being family to him, could you post the bail?
Posts: 95 | From: Gurnee, Illinois | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Homsar999:
Could somebody who isn't related to the 'arrestee' at all post bail for them? What I'm saying is, if there was some guy who needed bail, and you just decided to bail him out, without knowing or being family to him, could you post the bail?

I suppose it would depend, but I would say why not? All bail is would be a guarentee to show up in court....

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug

quote:
Originally posted by Homsar999:

In Kentucky, yes, as long as you are willing to put up the money or property to guarantee his next appearance. If not, you stand to lose it.

Post.

--------------------

overlord

The person who is arrested must remain in custody until a judge reviews his charges.

Some are set free ",own recognicance," and others may not be released, and are held for trial.

If a bond is set a dollar amount is indicated. Come up with the money and you are out. But in all the above before you are released you are given a court date.

Domestic violance is an automatic hold for a specific amount of hours.

If you do not show for your court date a warrant is issued for your arrest.

Bach_girl

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by overlord:
The person who is arrested must remain in custody until a judge reviews his charges.

Some are set free ",own recognicance," and others may not be released, and are held for trial.

If a bond is set a dollar amount is indicated. Come up with the money and you are out. But in all the above before you are released you are given a court date.

Domestic violance is an automatic hold for a specific amount of hours.

If you do not show for your court date a warrant is issued for your arrest.

You must be just talking about California Law.

I know for a fact on Ohio (this is what I spend my weekends and holidays doing) we bond out Domestic Violence. They are usually booked in the county jail, but whoever is posting bond can do it as soon as we get the file in the computer.

It doesn't have to be a family member posting bond. I never even ask if they are. I have seen several employers bond out employees, which I found a bit odd. The only thing I need is the ID from the person posting bond.

Here is a good story...

Woman wants to bond out her son. She asks if she can write a check, I tell her no, but she can use her bank card. She says that won't work because there isn't enough money in the account...dumbass people.

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
overlord

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bach_girl:
I know for a fact on Ohio (this is what I spend my weekends and holidays doing) we bond out Domestic Violence. They are usually booked in the county jail, but whoever is posting bond can do it as soon as we get the file in the computer.

---------------------------------------------------The reason they are held for a mandatory 12 hours is to protect the other party involved in the domestic violence arrest.
This gives both parties a chance to cool off. Or get out of town.
If the person arrested is released( bailed out) a short time after arrest he/ she may return home and finish the job, perhaps even killing the other party! Nevada law.

lonewolf629
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lonewolf629   E-mail lonewolf629   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
i've had the displeasure of being arrested for a traffic warrant, once i found out how much it would cost they allowed me to release my bank card to my roomate who went and got the money to bail me out, this in Ohio, but i dont know for sure what the laws stipulate

--------------------
I wound up being the guy my mother told me not to play with

Posts: 37 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AliBaba:
quote:
Evidently no TV or film character has ever needed the services of a bail bondsman.)
One exception - the character of Max Cherry in " Jackie Brown" was a bailbondsmen.
As was Markie Post's character (along with others) in"The Fall Guy". Of course, the one's who needed the services of a bail bond(wo)man were always shown after they had jumped bail.

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

---------------------------------------------------The reason they are held for a mandatory 12 hours is to protect the other party involved in the domestic violence arrest.
This gives both parties a chance to cool off. Or get out of town.
If the person arrested is released( bailed out) a short time after arrest he/ she may return home and finish the job, perhaps even killing the other party! Nevada law.

I think a mandatory 12 hour rule is a great idea. Unfortunatly the people who are abused are usually the ones posting bond. Maybe 12 hours would be enough time to make them think it over a bit.

I think the reason some states/cities do not have these kinds of limits is overcrowding in the jails. It is so bad in some areas you are pretty much guarenteed to be out in 3 hours whether you post bond or not. (Usually this is not true of violent crimes though)

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ladibugs

Well here in Louisiana my ex went to jail, a few times, (the reason he is my "ex") and he had the cash in his pocket. They told him he could not post his own bond. What he had to do, was sign over his property to his g/f and she posted his bond. I thought he was full of it. But his sister called the jail and they told her the same thing. He could "not" post his own bond.

[fish]

skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Reminds me of the story of a guy arrested for stealing three cows and a horse. He said he didn't have any money but could he post bail with some assests. The judge asked what assets he had.
"Three cows and a horse" he replied.

OK That's an old joke, but I swear the next one is real

A guy was seen breaking into vending machines and was arrested some hours later. He calls his girlfriend to bring in the bail money and she brings in a few hundred bucks IN LOOSE COINS. Real smart.

--------------------
I like free speech. It lets me know who the idiots are.

Posts: 407 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Would you like fries with that?

The bail bond seems to work for most unbefriended prisoners...
Bondsman are used mostly for high cash bonds. They will put up all the money needed if you pay them a percent. Normally 15% of the total bond. When you go to court they get the money they put up back,and your 15% is profit.

Buzzbomb
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 601 posted      Profile for Buzzbomb   E-mail Buzzbomb   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jsbumed:

That's 100% true. When my black sheep uncle got arrested, my family was amazed when a cop gave him a ride to an ATM
Posts: 34 | From: Illinois | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tantei Kijo
The First USA Noel

Icon 84 posted      Profile for Tantei Kijo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tantei Kijo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it wrong that I immediately thought of the "and hurry!" thread in the "We've Got Mail" section? [Razz]

--------------------
Bender: Though you may have to make a metaphorical "deal with the devil". And by "devil", I mean the robot devil, and by "metaphorically" I mean get your coat. ------------ My sad site: A new way to be bored.

Posts: 722 | From: Colorado | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
InsAnnity

Icon 15 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ladibugs:
Well here in Louisiana my ex went to jail, a few times, (the reason he is my "ex") and he had the cash in his pocket. They told him he could not post his own bond. What he had to do, was sign over his property to his g/f and she posted his bond. I thought he was full of it. But his sister called the jail and they told her the same thing. He could "not" post his own bond.

[fish]

An hour away from you in Hancock County, Mississippi, and it's the same here. I guess the southern police here don't see enough action and want to keep us for entertainment. [Wink]
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Maybe in your part of California, but not in mine. Our Sheriff's Department has a "bail schedule" for common crimes. The jail will allow you to bail out, pre-arraignment, with a NTA (notice to appear) within the statutory limit for arraignment (72 hours, IIRC?) All that, without waking up the judge.

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
robbiev - singin' off key
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You can post your own bail in TN, but I think the reason people don't do it (assuming I understand your question) is using a bail bondsman is cheaper.

If your bail is $10,000, a bail bond company only charges $1000.00. Most people don't have $10,000 in cash on them at any given time.

Most people probably don't have $1000 either, but most people (or at least many people) couldn't come up with $10,000 on short notice.

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages