snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Spook Central » Hugh Williams, survivor

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hugh Williams, survivor
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I was reading an article on a news site online and I came across the
following:
"A ship sunk near the shores of Wales on December 5, 1664. Another ship
went down on the same location on December 5, 1785. A third ship sunk to
the bottom of the sea on the same location on December 5, 1866. Each of
the shipwrecks had only one survivor. In all the three cases, a survivor's
name was Hugh Williams."

http://english.pravda.ru/science/19/94/378/16770_coincidence.html

I looked online and was surpised to find the same story a few times, but I
cannot find what I would call a credible source to verify if this is true.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Felessan
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felessan   E-mail Felessan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll offer this, FWIW - if the ships were local vessels, then it's quite possible for the survivors in each case to have the surname Williams. It's a common Welsh surname.

Hugh? Got me there.

--------------------
You fool! That's not a warrior, that's a banana!
- a surreal moment in a role-playing game

Posts: 2480 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe it was just
"Who?"
"Williams"
hyuk hyuk... (sorry, silly, sleepy mood)

Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This page brings the number up to 6!
http://www.walknet.net/boyd.shtml

Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moon   E-mail Lady Moon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm....actual Immortal, perhaps?

Lady *tongue firmly in cheek* Moon

--------------------
"We've got a fifth member of the band round here, and he's DEFINITELY out of tune!" -- Keith Moon

"If I had a thousand quid for every time I've introduced this song --- oh, I do!" -- John Entwistle

Posts: 584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ghost on Toast
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ghost on Toast     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hugh is a traditional Welsh name, although it's sometimes spelt Huw.

--------------------
It's been a while but I'm back!!

Posts: 884 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nandu
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nandu   E-mail nandu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I read this in the "Book of Lists" by Irving Wallace, titled "Amazing Coincidences".
Posts: 15 | From: Kerala, India | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages