snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Spook Central » Ghost Girl Video

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ghost Girl Video
Danger Echidna
Petty Experimentalist

Icon 212 posted      Profile for Danger Echidna   Author's Homepage   E-mail Danger Echidna   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of mine sent me this video link:

Ghost Girl

The clip appears to have been taken from a Spanish-language television show about paranormal phenomena. They film what appears to be a ghostly young girl sitting beside a grave, minding her own business. At one point, though, she turns her head to reveal a spooky face and glowing eyes.

To me, the "ghost" in question looks just like a regular girl. Shooting with the "Nightvision" feature turned on makes often makes people's eyes appear to shine, and I think this is just an example of that effect.

Any thoughts on this clip, and does anybody know the name of the show it comes from?

Posts: 63 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kelli
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelli     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
regardless of whether this is real or not, i'm still going to have nightmares about it. little children are scary.

i don't care how fake something looks or how cheesy it is, if it has a spooky kid in it, i will just about pee my pants.

i blame nickelodeon's "are you afraid of the dark".

Posts: 8 | From: Huntington, WV | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Alkatr0z
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alkatr0z   E-mail Alkatr0z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Agreed Danger Echidna, Looks exactly like the shine from a cats eyes at night.
Posts: 116 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Alkatr0z
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alkatr0z   E-mail Alkatr0z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And also if you watch closely as she turns its only when shes fully looking at the camera that her eyes shine, in addition at the end the eye shine fades again.
Posts: 116 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As the video closes can I hear footsteps of a person (the little girl?) running away.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Baggins
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Baggins   E-mail Mr. Baggins   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry to burst any bubbles, but this is not a paranormal video. The man who appears is known as Facundo and is a not-very-popular TV host in Mexico, specializing in juvenile pranks and toilet humor.

I hadn't seen this video before, but I'm willing to bet it's some kind of parody, or maybe a staged "ghost" to shock the 13 year-olds who watched the show.

Taken out of context, I'll admit it's kinda creepy... [Smile]

--------------------
"The system would also let you send your picture and contact details to a rough trade gay contact mailing list saying you like to be surprised with power tools in a non-consensual role play scenario – but that doesn’t mean you SHOULD do it.!"

Posts: 298 | From: Monterrey, Mexico | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moon   E-mail Lady Moon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Only spooky thing in that video was that guy's face that kept filling the screen. The glowing eyes were obviously done post-production or with a nightshine camera.

--------------------
"We've got a fifth member of the band round here, and he's DEFINITELY out of tune!" -- Keith Moon

"If I had a thousand quid for every time I've introduced this song --- oh, I do!" -- John Entwistle

Posts: 584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Danger Echidna
Petty Experimentalist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Danger Echidna   Author's Homepage   E-mail Danger Echidna   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Baggins:
Sorry to burst any bubbles, but this is not a paranormal video. The man who appears is known as Facundo and is a not-very-popular TV host in Mexico, specializing in juvenile pranks and toilet humor.

I hadn't seen this video before, but I'm willing to bet it's some kind of parody, or maybe a staged "ghost" to shock the 13 year-olds who watched the show.

Taken out of context, I'll admit it's kinda creepy... [Smile]

Thanks for shedding some light on this, Mr. Baggins! [Smile]
Posts: 63 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DeathLord
Baby 100 Grand

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeathLord   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Shooting with the "Nightvision" feature turned on makes often makes people's eyes appear to shine, and I think this is just an example of that effect.

I quote.

The video is quite scaring just because the musical note highlight when the girl turns.

--------------------
__
/he DeathLord
My Blog (Italian)
Tecnica Arcana: my Tech Podcast (Italian)

Posts: 23 | From: Italy | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DeathLord:
quote:
Shooting with the "Nightvision" feature turned on makes often makes people's eyes appear to shine, and I think this is just an example of that effect.

I quote.

The video is quite scaring just because the musical note highlight when the girl turns.

Hm...I think I'm going to test a theory...mute the sound, watch the video, see if it's as freaky...I'll post the results in an ETA

ETA: Yup, definitely not scary when the computer was muted. Actually, I could barely distinguish the girl.
And eyes only glow like that if there's light being shone on them. Interesting, though, that the GUY wasn't glowing, but the girl was. Gives me the impression that there was some kind of stuio lighting to make things a little brighter for the video, and that he may have positioned the camera behind the lights, so that the night vision wasn't messed up when he went to his face.

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just watched the video with my sound off, and I didn't even see any girl... I saw some type of glint but couldn't make out the girl.

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
badlydrawnboy
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for badlydrawnboy   Author's Homepage   E-mail badlydrawnboy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xia:
I just watched the video with my sound off, and I didn't even see any girl... I saw some type of glint but couldn't make out the girl.

Neither could I. Everything was too dark. But for some reason I found the guy extremely fun. I'm not sure why. "Por favor! Por favor!"
Posts: 25 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sullen Moon
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sullen Moon   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sullen Moon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kelli:
regardless of whether this is real or not, i'm still going to have nightmares about it. little children are scary.

i don't care how fake something looks or how cheesy it is, if it has a spooky kid in it, i will just about pee my pants.

i blame nickelodeon's "are you afraid of the dark".

Ever seen "The Ring"? ahhhhh!!!!!!! [Frown]

--------------------
***sig line edited for content***

Posts: 249 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I took the precaution of muting my volume before watching this (things that aren't remotely scary often freak the NFBSK outta me just because of creepy music and/or sound effects), and yeah...not scary. I vote fake, if only because of the dude's face that keeps coming back onscreen to I guess reassure everyone that it is in fact REAL. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DeathLord
Baby 100 Grand

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeathLord   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

And eyes only glow like that if there's light being shone on them. Interesting, though, that the GUY wasn't glowing, but the girl was.

As for redeye effect on photos, the eye glows in the dark only if the infrared lightbeam hit the retina and the reflection is caught by the camera CCD sensor. I think the guy's eyes doesn't shine because of the strange angle between the camera and the guy's head. You can note in a lot of night mode footages that even if the person is looking at the camera all the time, only sporadically the eyes start suddenly to shine, due to small eyes movements.

Your theory about a stage/fixed light structure is plausible too and work on the same physical process.

--------------------
__
/he DeathLord
My Blog (Italian)
Tecnica Arcana: my Tech Podcast (Italian)

Posts: 23 | From: Italy | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages