snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Spook Central » Researcher Reveals Mysteries of Water

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Researcher Reveals Mysteries of Water
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 27 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.nbc10.com/news/5455548/detail.html

quote:
Emoto is considered a pioneer in water research because of his documentation with ice crystals.

For example he puts distilled water into two bottles -- one labeled war and the other labeled peace. The water is then frozen and, using a powerful microscope in a very cold room, photographs are taken. The war water crystal divided or separated, while the peace crystal was beautiful and balanced.

"You can show the waters some words or let the water listen to music," Emoto said.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The water is then frozen and, using a powerful microscope in a very cold room, photographs are taken.
quote:
You can also try out Emoto's theories by doing your own experiments.
Yup, I think I'll hook up my scanning electron microscope in my basement ice lab and try it.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
robinsonjeffersfan
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robinsonjeffersfan   E-mail robinsonjeffersfan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
i've heard of something like this before. maybe others have as well...anyways, according to some people, water can "remember" chemicals distilled in it and removed from the water. i think "penn& teller did a show on it.
Posts: 13 | From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
deflowerkid

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deflowerkid   E-mail deflowerkid   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
it was featured in the documentary "what the bleep do we know?"

very cool stuff. the "love" picture was breathtakinly beautiful.

katie

--------------------
a penny saved is worth two in the bush.

Posts: 17 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by robinsonjeffersfan:
i've heard of something like this before. maybe others have as well...anyways, according to some people, water can "remember" chemicals distilled in it and removed from the water.

That's the "theory" behind homeopathic medicine, and as unlikely and experimentally undemonstrable as it is, it's significantly more plausible than the idea that the ice crystals can read the label on the bottle...
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mr Emoto doesn't claim that the water can read the labels:
quote:
"This doesn't mean that the water can read the words as much as they can feel the vibrations of what the words mean," Emoto said.
That, of course, is bullshit, too.

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Even more like bullshit, really... it's saying the same thing but in longer words. What does he think "reading" means?
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troodon
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troodon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And here I was, hoping for real scientific discoveries about water. It's still not completely understood.

--------------------
Fools! You've over-estimated me!

Posts: 3745 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stoneage Dinosaur
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
He says that to try out his theory you can try this experiment:

Place cooked rice in two identical glass containers. Put one cup of rice in one jar and another cup in a separate jar. Talk to the rice every day for one month at the same time each day. Say "thank you" to one jar and say, "you fool" to the other jar.

In his experiment, Emoto found that the rice that was told "thank you" was nearly fermented and had a nice, mellow, malted-rice aroma.

The other bowl of rice that was told, "you fool," turned black, became rotten and smelled disgusting.

[lol] [lol]

I'd really like to try this, just so I could get to say "you fool" every day to a jar of rice.

--------------------
"You learn something new every day if you're not careful" - Wilf Lunn

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I tried that, but I said "snopes" to one bowl and "emoto" to the other. The "emoto" bowl became rotten and disgusting. The snopes bowl was interviewed on a regional radio show.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Damian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If I use Chinese rice, but condemn it in English, will the experiment still work?

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One might wonder what would happen if I where to stick labels in a language I don't understand on the bottles, just printing some Chinese signs. I would not know which was war and which was peace, and the printer that printed the labels would sure as hell don't know.

Would the ice become different?

I say there is some more or less clever sleight of hand or other trickery involved. I suspect that even a few crystals of some suitable salt would account for the difference.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hell's Granny
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hell's Granny   Author's Homepage   E-mail Hell's Granny   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's no need for trickery at all. Ice crystals form around any tiny particles in the water. Try an experiment and put a sealed jar of distilled water into the fridge along with an open jar of any old tap water. You might find a few ice crystals in the distilled water (from particles already in the jar, or airborne before the jar was sealed); but the tap water will be teeming with tiny ice crystals.
Mr Emoto has some other odd beliefs as well. For instance, he believes that the bodies of dead wild animals simply disappear into thin air: “Why Corpses of Crows Are Never Found"

--------------------
Oakleaf Circle - Elfin Magical Diary-Transit: the astrologers' newsletter

Posts: 1304 | From: South-West Scotland | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sidewinder
Deck the Malls

Icon 07 posted      Profile for sidewinder   E-mail sidewinder   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I put my name one one bottle, then "saddam hussein" on the other, and they turned out the same.

Ah well.

-Chad Sam-Hugh Shane.

[fish]

Posts: 282 | From: wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tabbymago
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Tabbymago   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tabbymago   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by deflowerkid:
it was featured in the documentary "what the bleep do we know?"

Which is the only proof anyone should need that it's a pile of bear crap.

-Tabby
the princess with claws

--------------------
If you don't appreciate the irony, the irony appreciates.

"Sappiness and medieval violence: it's a wonderful combination. Like chocolate and peanut butter for the mind." -me on my fantasy novel-in-progress

Posts: 2281 | From: Arizona | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Hitler crystal looks way cooler than the Mother Teresa crystal. The Mother Teresa crystal looks like Mother Teresa being killed by umm..I dunno.. Hitler, maybe?

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oualawouzou

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From the "Why Corpses..." article:
quote:
Crows and birds, wild monkeys, rabbits, moles, snakes, frogs, and all the insects.It would seem quite natural to see their dead bodies everywhere.
This man has never changed a light piece with a few hundred of dead insects. Or given a close look at any window littered with tiny corpses.

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'm 20th Century Fox
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'm 20th Century Fox   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'm 20th Century Fox   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What if you just spoke in sign language to the water or rice?

I've got a sign for you, you bowl of rice....

--------------------
When my chin is on the ground I pick myself up, dust myself off and start all over again.

Posts: 1765 | From: Greensboro, NC | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Baggins
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Baggins   E-mail Mr. Baggins   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stoneage Dinosaur:
[QB] [QUOTE]He says that to try out his theory you can try this experiment:

Place cooked rice in two identical glass containers. Put one cup of rice in one jar and another cup in a separate jar. Talk to the rice every day for one month at the same time each day. Say "thank you" to one jar and say, "you fool" to the other jar.

In his experiment, Emoto found that the rice that was told "thank you" was nearly fermented and had a nice, mellow, malted-rice aroma.

The other bowl of rice that was told, "you fool," turned black, became rotten and smelled disgusting.

I guess rice must have really, really delicate feelings. I mean, "You Fool?". Come on, I knew better insults at age 4.

--------------------
"The system would also let you send your picture and contact details to a rough trade gay contact mailing list saying you like to be surprised with power tools in a non-consensual role play scenario – but that doesn’t mean you SHOULD do it.!"

Posts: 298 | From: Monterrey, Mexico | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers

Icon 600 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the Mother Theresa one looks a bit like a pig, and the Hitler one a bit like a catfish.

quote:
posted by Stoneage Dinosaur
I'd really like to try this, just so I could get to say "you fool" every day to a jar of rice.

I do say "you fool" to a jar of rice everyday, but for different reasons. Much different reasons.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Baggins:
I guess rice must have really, really delicate feelings. I mean, "You Fool?". Come on, I knew better insults at age 4.

RIGHT, YOU CRAPULOUS BOWL OF WETLAND GRAIN, DON'T GIVE ME ANY OF YOUR STARCH! YOU FESTERING HEAP OF MACROBIOTIC MUCILAGE, YOU MAKE MY GORGE RISE! YOUR MOTHER WAS EATEN BY A HAMSTER AND YOUR FATHER WAS SERVED WITH ELDERBERRY WINE! YOU'RE NOT WORTH BLUNTING A CHOPSTICK ON, YOU SODDEN MASS OF EMPTY CALORIES!

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bajacalla

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bajacalla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
now, what would happen if you were to use false cognates from a foreign language on the jars? would the water know the word was in the foreign language and feel happy, or would it misinterpret it as english and feel fearful, or vice versa?

and what would happen if you were to put a 'bad' word on one jar and a 'worse' one on the other? would you have degrees of decrepitude?

--------------------
"pardon me, I swallowed down the wrong throat."

Posts: 27 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

quote:
Originally posted by Hell's Granny:
There's no need for trickery at all. Ice crystals form around any tiny particles in the water. Try an experiment and put a sealed jar of distilled water into the fridge along with an open jar of any old tap water. You might find a few ice crystals in the distilled water (from particles already in the jar, or airborne before the jar was sealed); but the tap water will be teeming with tiny ice crystals.

Since he looks at the ice crystals through a microscope and apparently displays photographs of them, another explanation might simply be that he uses the same water (eta - in two jars) but looks around each jar until he finds a crystal that fits the appropriate "mood" for that jar. There must be quite a lot of volume to look in, after all.

I haven't seen his work so I don't know whether that explanation would work - depends how much of each jar he shows. That's if any of it deserves an explanation at all.

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 212 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Myths and Nonsense Concerning Snowflakes

quote:
What do you think of the work of Masaru Emoto?

My opinion, you ask? The short answer is that I think Mr. Emoto's work is nothing more than the usual New-Age nonsense -- popular gibberish.

http://www.its.caltech.edu/~atomic/snowcrystals/myths/myths.htm
Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat

Icon 86 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oualawouzou:
From the "Why Corpses..." article:
quote:
Crows and birds, wild monkeys, rabbits, moles, snakes, frogs, and all the insects.It would seem quite natural to see their dead bodies everywhere.
This man has never changed a light piece with a few hundred of dead insects. Or given a close look at any window littered with tiny corpses.
He also has probably not heard of scavengers or decomposers, either.

In humid, warm climates, animal corpses rot in a matter of days. The reason you see dead insects on windowsills or in lightbulbs is that said environments are very dry, which retards decomposition.

- Pseudo "what a load of rot" Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wouldn't anyone else feel guilty for saying "you fool" every day to a bowl of rice that hadn't done anyone any harm? Hasn't glurge taught you people anything!!!

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oualawouzou:
[qb] From the "Why Corpses..." article: [QUOTE]Crows and birds, wild monkeys, rabbits, moles, snakes, frogs, and all the insects.It would seem quite natural to see their dead bodies everywhere.

Is there a special exception for armadillos and possums? I see them everywhere.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pseudo_Croat:
The reason you see dead insects on windowsills or in lightbulbs is that said environments are very dry, which retards decomposition.

I'd think the main reason is that insects have exoskeletons that don't decompose.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stoneage Dinosaur

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why not try the experiment with two jars containing a mixture of gooseberries, cream and sugar? It would be interesting to see then what happens to the jar you say "you fool" to.

--------------------
"You learn something new every day if you're not careful" - Wilf Lunn

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages