snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Spook Central » Black Eyed Kids?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Black Eyed Kids?
snlash
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 18 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My first post (be gentle) - feel free to chow me if I missed it, an initial search turned up no results.

I was wondering about the "Black Eyed Kids" story that I've found floating around the internet in many places. The guy writing it claims to be a real news reporter and that the story is entirely true. I am wondering if this is just a plot to get his "name out there"...true it is a very creepy story, but I'd like to know more about it.

The original story can be found here:
http://www.ghosts.org/stories/tales/evil-kids.html

The writer's F.A.Q here:
http://www.ghosts.org/stories/bekfaq.html

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
magpie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie   E-mail magpie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Kid #2 sounds like a ginger kid. They have no souls, you know.

If you ask a Japanese person what color their eyes are, they will usually say "black".

And lastly, you can attain the all-black eye thing by taking large quantities of drugs. It'll make your pupils blow up like little black balloons.

Posts: 439 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Another way to get big, black eyes: contacts.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Miles Invictus
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miles Invictus   E-mail Miles Invictus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh no, not teh ginger kids! They'll get me in my sleep!

Okay, I did a quick googling of Brian Bethel and his email address (brianbet@camalott.com). Here's what I've turned up:

http://www.texnews.com, the site he mentions as a reference, redirects to http://www.reporter-news.com, where a Brian Bethel has a technology column in the business section. He's also a "Wellness/Aging Reporter" for the same newspaper.

His credentials check out, at the very least. I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt -- that is, he's not pulling the experience out of thin air.

Posts: 236 | From: Iowa | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was first going to say "Someone's been reading too many of the stories at paranormal.about.com"
"Demon Encounters"

There are links to several stories there of black eyed people (including under "M" for "more black-eyed people/kids). Supposedly they seem fine but make people feel weird. I don't know.

I do know that the other day on TV I saw someone who looked like they had "black eyes" and, rather excitedly, told my SO. She didn't get the joke.

(edited for punctuation)

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
timbobmc
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 106 posted      Profile for timbobmc   E-mail timbobmc   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooooh! I love a good scary story. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen.

Posts: 536 | From: Gonzales, Louisiana | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snlash

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Too funny mage..I was watching that South Park last night [Big Grin]

With the kids in the story being so young, I'm disinclined to believe that it would be contact lenses. On the other hand if the person writing the story was already paranoid (either from drugs or say, coming out of the cinema after watching The Ring, etc.) his brain might have registered dark brown iris as being as black as the pupil. Which would explain the eye color, if not the behaviour of the kids.

It *is* a really good spooky story though [Smile] To give the guy credit for that anyhow.

Xia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There are medical conditions that can cause no pigment of the iris, or absence of the iris...

Such as Aniridia, a congenital total/partial absence of the iris. The eyes will often appear to have no color so the whole eye looks black.
 -

Here is another good image.

If you'd like to see more photos do a google image search for 'aniridia'.

Xia
(wow, I actually remembered something from my Developmental Anatomy class and had a use for that info... scary...)

ET change to smaller image

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snlash

That could be Xia! I'd never heard about that before and it is possible it could be a medical condition. It still doesn't explain the behaviour of the children though, acting "evil" as he put it.

Another thing I wonder about is that he isn't clear on whether he means that just the iris was black or the whole EYE was black (i.e. the part that is normally white was black also) - that part of the story reads:

" They were coal black. No pupil. No iris. Just two staring orbs reflecting the red and white light of the marquee."

From that sentence (no iris) I am assuming it means the whole visible part of the eyeball was entirely black. But if that's the case, wouldn't that be something that would be obvious to someone from the beginning instead of an "I can't quite put my finger on what's wrong here" issue? I mean, I know if I saw someone with completely black eyes, no white anywhere, I would notice.

snlash

To clarify, I think the author of the story meant something more like this: (Ignore my crappy photoshopping, I was just trying to illustrate the point lol)

-

And me personally, if I saw a little kid with eyes like that, I wouldn't have hung around long enough to write a whole story about it. [Big Grin]

Xia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I see what you mean... Here's a pretty good pic of that, thanks to google [Wink]
 -
(contact lens)

Black sclera could also possibly be caused by a medical condition, but it would be very very unusual.
I also agree that something like totally black eyes should have been obvious at first sight. I wouldn't have hung around either!

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Saluki Worship
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saluki Worship     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, well, what I got from the story was that the author himself was surprised he didn't notice this obvious fact either. That he couldn't quite put his finger on what was weird about their appearance until he looked away, and then back again. It's part of what makes the story even weirder. If, indeed, it's true. Which is highly questionable.
Posts: 96 | From: Victoria, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Archangel
Spider Cider

Icon 22 posted      Profile for Archangel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Meh, my own eyes look like that most of the time.* And I'm no evil vampire.

*dark gray in fact.

Posts: 1749 | From: -> Canberra <-/ Hong Kong / London | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ghost on Toast
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Ghost on Toast     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to be sad and admit that the black eyed kids thing really gave me the heebie-jeebies. I work right out in the countryside and when I go oleave to get my car it's pitch black and I was looking over my shoulder a bit!!

Oh dear....

But if there have been more than one report of this from different people, doesn't it make you wonder if there are odd things out there...

--------------------
It's been a while but I'm back!!

Posts: 884 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Red Squirrel
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Red Squirrel   E-mail Red Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xia:
I see what you mean... Here's a pretty good pic of that, thanks to google [Wink]
 -
(contact lens)

But if it was dark and they were standing outside his car where there, presumably, was little light (and he would have had the light on in the car if he was writing a cheque). If it was just the iris that was balck I don't think he would have even noticed it in those conditions so I think he means the whole eye was black.

--------------------
The Sqizzle formally known as Lexi

Posts: 3231 | From: Nottingham, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Alkatr0z
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alkatr0z   E-mail Alkatr0z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Using the glow of the marquee to write out my check
To me that doesn't indicate how good or bad the lighting was.

Personally I suspect drugs, from a chat at work the other day and seeing the amazing variety of reactions from something like Marijuana its quite easy to see. Some people become very confident while others tend to freak a bit. And others just go to sleep [Wink] Judging from their actions the confident one probably said to nervy "Lets go freak that guy out". Throw in its late at night, Hes being confronted by two kids acting rather oddly and I think his imagionation ran away with him a bit.

I'm a sceptic when it comes to all this stuff though, I used to live next to a graveyard and would often have a wander at night through it and never saw nothin freaky or odd.

Alkatr0z

Posts: 116 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sidewinder
Deck the Malls

Icon 07 posted      Profile for sidewinder   E-mail sidewinder   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was relived this topic wasnt about beaten children until i scrolled down and viewed those lovely pics of the diseased eyes.

I myself think they were just druggies.

"Ain't it odd all demons wear white sports coat and trousers, and burberry baseball hats that hang on their heads like their about to fall off?"

^^the british will get that one better.

Posts: 282 | From: wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is off topic, but I felt the need to respond to this

quote:
posted by Mage
And lastly, you can attain the all-black eye thing by taking large quantities of drugs. It'll make your pupils blow up like little black balloons.

The first time I took mushrooms I caught a glimpse of myself in a mirror and my pupils were so dilated that the blue had disappeared, it was just a huge black dot on white. I thought I had turned into a cartoon and got really freaked out. And that, children, is why drugs are bad.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 212 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My psychiatrist is a nice guy, but there was something about him that always made me avoid looking at him. I went to see him for the quarterly meeting, and realized he had black eyes. I mean, I was staring, trying to make out if he just had dark brown irises, but they looked black. (I guess he has what Xia mentioned.) No wonder he gave me the creeples.

-

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
5 continents
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5 continents     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
WOW! My two boys are evil minions and I didn't know it (okay, maybe I sort of knew [Big Grin] )!

I didn't get the impression from that sentence "no pupils, no iris" that the whole eye was black, just that it was like my boys who have VERY DARK brown eyes that look like there is no distinction between the pupil and the iris. One of my boys is particularly fair skinned with blond hair and people always comment on his eyes (the other one is darker complected so no one really notices).

ETA: Not to take away from the author's apprehension. I'm always scared when people I don't know approach me and ask me for money or a ride whether they have black eyes or not [lol]

--------------------
May those that love us, love us. And those that don't may God turn their hearts, and if He can't turn their hearts may He turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping.

Posts: 63 | From: Ghana, West Africa/Houston, TX | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages