snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » Don't shower during lightning (Page 0)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Don't shower during lightning
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought... didn't Mythbusters challenge this myth? I forget the outcome, but I'm thinking it came up confirmed or at least plausible. Apologies if I'm remembering wrong. Anyway, growing up in tornado alley, my dad would holler at me like crazy if I even thought about taking a shower on a gloomy cloudy day.

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My ex and I lost a couple of modems and a couple of answering machines to lightning-related power spikes during the late 1980's and early 1990's.

As a child, my mom once touched a light switch at the same time a lightning-related power surge occurred. She felt a huge jolt and her tongue swelled up.

Ever seen/heard a transformer get hit by lightning? Very dramatic. I love storms, though.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vfwchick
Deck the Malls with Boughs of Money

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vfwchick     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My parents never let us shower, bathe or anything else when it's storming, so I have carried it over to my kids. I think the old adage "better safe than sorry" works here.
I always unplug my laptop if it even looks like a storm. Everything else (computer wise) is on surge protectors. Now I am wondering if that is good enough?
vfw *I love a good storm too* chick

--------------------
God bless our Troops!
If you can't stand behind our troops, please, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 380 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CitizenAim
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CitizenAim   Author's Homepage   E-mail CitizenAim   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Discovery Health ran a special a couple of years ago about a girl who had been struck by lightning on 3 different occasions. She was really tall, but all three times, she was doing things in which her height would not have been factored in. I think the first time she was laying on the ground trying to grab something under her house, the second time she was indoors doing laundry and had touched the metal washing maching, and I don't remember the third time but it was something equally bizarre.

As for telephones and showers... I experienced a telephone line being hit by lightning first hand. When I was 9, I was talking on the phone in the middle of a heavy rainstorm. I didn't hear any thunder outside so not only did I think it was safe, but so did my parents who were home (they were all over the "no phone or bath during a storm" rule). Out of nowhere, I heard this eardrum-shattering clapping sound inside the phone, but I couldn't seem to let the phone go and it took a lot of effort to get it away from my ear. Aside from being very frazzled for a while after that, I was fine.

Posts: 146 | From: Columbia, SC | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 218 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Purple Iguana, I certainly hope it came up plausible. If not, that boy died because of a "myth."

Lainie, I haven't seen a transformer hit by lightning, but one behind our house blew one night. That was bad enough for me!

vfwchick, whether or not your surge protector is enough depends on the type. Some surge protectors only protect against routine surges, but you can get them that also protect against lightning. I don't have one of those but am considering getting one. Guess I need to either look on-line or call the local supply store to see if they have any.

Edited because I misspoke. So, what else is new? [lol]

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
skyeg
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skyeg   E-mail skyeg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently the mythbusters confirmed this. Here is a link to the unofficial guide for this episode.
Posts: 28 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abigsmurf
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigsmurf   E-mail abigsmurf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In my house the earth wires are all linked to the piping for the downstairs toilet.

Makes me wonder if something high voltage shorts and you're having a wee at the time...

Posts: 824 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Signora Del Drago:
Lainie, I haven't seen a transformer hit by lightning, but one behind our house blew one night. That was bad enough for me!

Purple flames shot out of it. Luckily nothing else caught fire (of course, everything was soaking wet).

--------------------

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dawnshadow

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawnshadow   E-mail Dawnshadow   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've lost a modem to a lightning spike before. Ever since, I've always unplugged my computer's strip when it storms...
Posts: 131 | From: Newark, OH | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TB Tabby

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A brief rundown of the Mythbusters tests:

Taking a shower: Confirmed
Using the telephone: Plausible
Watching TV: Busted
Using a computer: Busted

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, after reading all these "don'ts" regarding lightning storms, does that leave anthing left that one can do during one? All I can think of is read and sleep.

- Pseudo "storm of boredom" Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

quote:
Originally posted by Pseudo_Croat:
OK, after reading all these "don'ts" regarding lightning storms, does that leave anthing left that one can do during one? All I can think of is read and sleep.

[Confused] Did you miss TB Tabby's post?

--------------------

Pseudo_Croat

Icon 304 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
quote:
Originally posted by Pseudo_Croat:

[Confused] Did you miss TB Tabby's post?
Yes, I did. I'm still very nervous about using plugged-in electronics in a storm, though.

- Pseudo_Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
Logging off will not make any difference, the lightning does not care about details such as the state of a bunch of transistors. If you want to protect your equipment, disconnect (not just switching off) it, both from the phone jack and from the power outlets.

Duh, this is what I meant. *smacks self on head* Sorry for the brain fart...

Oh, and Pseudo? I can think of one more thing to add to the list of things to do... [Wink]

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Signora, I just connected your fear of lightning and your location. That must suck! You get a lot of thunderstorms in OK, don't you?

I'm one of those people who goes to the room with the most windows, or onto the covered porch, and watches the storm. If I know there are going to be storms after I go to bed, I'll open my blinds. As long as I'm safely inside, I love storms.

Storms while I'm driving or out walking are another matter entirely. Eek.

--------------------

Signora Del Drago

Icon 218 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lainie, we get way too many T-storms to suit me! My husband is like you, though. He loves storms. I used to have to beg him to close the door, instead of standing there watching the lightning. When he finally realized how much it was frightening me, he stopped doing it so much.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Everything else (computer wise) is on surge protectors. Now I am wondering if that is good enough?
Good enough to take spikes, but a direct hit will most likely blast them to bits.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Purple Iguana, I certainly hope it came up plausible. If not, that boy died because of a "myth."

Oh, I certainly meant no offense... it's just I was remembering when Mythbusters tested the "peeing on the third rail" and they determined that by the time the pee hits the rail, it has become droplets which an electric current cannot travel up... so I wasn't sure if the same logic followed showering during a lightning storm.

When I can't remember something exactly (which is more often than not), I tend to speak in a non-committal manner, rather than to say definitely "this was the result" and have it pointed out later that I was wrong.

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zorro:
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
Logging off will not make any difference, the lightning does not care about details such as the state of a bunch of transistors. If you want to protect your equipment, disconnect (not just switching off) it, both from the phone jack and from the power outlets.

Duh, this is what I meant. *smacks self on head* Sorry for the brain fart...

Oh, and Pseudo? I can think of one more thing to add to the list of things to do... [Wink]

I thought of the same thing, which made me laugh even harder at Pseudo's comment, "I'm still very nervous about using plugged-in electronics in a storm, though." [lol]

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LemonLimeade
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LemonLimeade     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If it's a really good storm I usually go to the door or the yard and watch the lightning [Embarrassed]

Then I get tired of standing and go watch TV; good thing that, at least, is safe.

--------------------
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't.

Posts: 285 | From: Woodbridge, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zorro:
quote:
Originally posted by Stoneage Dinosaur:
I haven't been able to find any cases of people being killed by lightning whilst showering, but there is a snopes page on lightning killing people talking on the telephone.

Along similar lines (no pun intended), once, before hubby and I lived togetehr, when he still had dial-up, he was online during a thunder and lightning storm. He went to the bathroom and came back to find that lightning had travelled through the phone lines and completely fried his modem! :eek: So we make it a habit to log off, even though we have DSL now, every time there's thunder and lightning.
When I worked in tech support, we always ordered a batch of modems after a big storm. Within a week they were all gone. Two particular areas around here were very prone to lightning. One was a hill area which did not surprise us, but the other was a long low valley where a dozen or more people could lose their modems in the same storm. We think it was caused by the lightning hitting the lines in the hills and travelling down.
Surge protecters aren't much good unless they also protect against the phone line, and most of them don't. We stopped selling surge protectors because they were so unreliable around here. Better they go and yell at the hardware shop staff rather than us.

--------------------
I like free speech. It lets me know who the idiots are.

Posts: 407 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

quote:
Originally posted by Purple Iguana:
quote:

Oh, I certainly meant no offense... it's just I was remembering when Mythbusters tested the "peeing on the third rail" and they determined that by the time the pee hits the rail, it has become droplets which an electric current cannot travel up... so I wasn't sure if the same logic followed showering during a lightning storm.

When I can't remember something exactly (which is more often than not), I tend to speak in a non-committal manner, rather than to say definitely "this was the result" and have it pointed out later that I was wrong.

I didn't realize that sounded snarky when I posted it, but it does. Sorry, Purple Iguana. What you said, "I thought... didn't Mythbusters challenge this myth? I forget the outcome, but I'm thinking it came up confirmed or at least plausible. . ." was in no way offensive. Somehow what I said looked different to me when I first posted it. What I meant was that you had to be right because there was no way it wasn't true, but something was lost between the thought and the typing. [Frown]

--------------------

Purple Iguana

Signora... I think I was erring on the side of caution. On a couple other threads, I seem to have tripped people's snark button, so I think I might be a little sensitive to any possible stepping on toes, ya know? As long as you and I are on the same page, I'm cool with that. [Smile]

--------------------

ali_marea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ali_marea   E-mail ali_marea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, while I appreciate the Red Cross trying to inform people, I think this is a little misleading:

quote:
Every thunderstorm produces lightning, which can strike as far as 10 miles away from any rainfall.

Um...no. Thunderstorms to do not produce lightning. Lightning produces thunder. That's how we get it. So a lightning storm may produce thunder, but you can't have thunder by itself.

Edited because I meant 'no', not 'now'. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, and 12 seconds. That is when the world will end.

Posts: 7158 | From: D.C. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Buzzkiller
Deck the Malls

Icon 81 posted      Profile for Buzzkiller   E-mail Buzzkiller       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Two members of my family have been struck by lightning, and both incidents took place indoors.

Several years ago my dad was enveloped by ball lightning while pouring coffee from a plugged-in electric percolator. I don't know if this is relevant, but the building he was in was a hand-built, rustic cabin on some rural land of his, and the wiring may have been a bit dodgy. Dad remained conscious throughout the incident, and as soon as it was over he drove himself home (30 miles)! My mother took him to the ER, but the only problems they could find were a minor burn on his foot and coffee burns on his hands and arms.

Around 1930, my mother's father was struck by lightning while talking on the telephone. Family legend has it that my mother was in his arms, but she was thrown across the room by the jolt and was relatively unhurt. I don't what effects my grandfather might have felt, but he did live to tell the tale.

Posts: 207 | From: Alabama | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Several years ago my dad was enveloped by ball lightning while pouring coffee from a plugged-in electric percolator.
Of course, American coffee is way to weak to protect you against lightning. Try some real, Swedish coffee, it will send the lightning whimpering in the other direction... [Smile]

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kanazawa

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kanazawa   E-mail kanazawa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ali_marea:
Ok, while I appreciate the Red Cross trying to inform people, I think this is a little misleading:

quote:
Every thunderstorm produces lightning, which can strike as far as 10 miles away from any rainfall.

Um...no. Thunderstorms to do not produce lightning. Lightning produces thunder. That's how we get it. So a lightning storm may produce thunder, but you can't have thunder by itself.

Edited because I meant 'no', not 'now'. [Roll Eyes]

Thunderstorm is the "official" (US government at least) term for a storm that produces lightning, thunder, etc. I remember there was a question related to this on the FAA instrument pilot written exam.

--------------------
If I say it's safe to surf this beach, then it's safe to surf this beach...

Posts: 127 | From: Cupertino, CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Miraculous escape as lightning hits girl in bed

quote:
A schoolgirl girl [sic] was lucky to be alive after a freak lightning bolt tore through the roof of her home - and struck her metal bed.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lightning Strike Database

One person struck by touching dryer, a few talking on the phone, one on the computer, one working on pipes (through the pipes, but outdoors), one praying in the kitchen via the kitchen pipes, at least four while showering (one with a news blurb).

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ali_marea:

quote:

That's not how I was reading it. I read it as the storm creates lightning, not the thunder.

And the storm would be behind the lightning, of course.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You are right, Canuckistan. But it is a tautology to say that "every thunderstorm produces lightning". A thunderstorm is, after all, a storm that produces lightning!
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana

Or else it would just be a storm... right, Ganz?

--------------------

Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Right, Ganz.

From dictionary.com:
thun·der·storm n. A transient, sometimes violent storm of thunder and lightning, often accompanied by rain and sometimes hail.

quote:
No entry found for lightning storm.
Did you mean turn a nice dime?

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zman977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zman977   Author's Homepage   E-mail zman977   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course I work in a radio station which is in a mettal building, we have all kinds of electronic and computer equipment, and we whear headphones plugged in to an audio control board taht has computers, cd players etc hooked to it. Nice to know I work in a death trap

Seriously though. I've had many arguments with my wife about how she thinks leaving the computer on will make it more likley to be struck by lightning. A point which I've brought up on other threads. Her thinking is if the computer gets struck while it's turned on then it must have been struck because it was turned on. Kind of like saying if your running the dish washer and it starts raining then the dish washer must have made it start raining. A point which seems to go right over her head.

We don't do anything that requires water or phone use during a storm. We are on the computers tracking the storm. and where is my computer located. Right by the front window and the front door and our bed is located right next to two windows. One at my side and one at the head board. Talk about hopeing for good luck.

--------------------
Check out the podcast at www.candidradio.com

Ever notice how we always fall in love? We never climb gently in to love, or step lightly in to love. If love is such a good thing than why is it described as a fall.

Posts: 918 | From: La Salle Illinois USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hero_Mike
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hero_Mike         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It is common practice for the ground of a house's electrical system to be tied to the water main. In other words, if you have an electrical short in any 3-prong device, the dangerous current flow has a path to ground, through a wire attached to the incoming water pipe. A lightning strike in the vicinity of a house can elevate the "potential" of the ground, because of the thousands of amps flowing through the lightning strike. With the elevated ground voltage, you can have enough potential difference between two feet, or a hand and foot, to create a deadly current through the heart.

Ever see an electrical substation? Ever wonder why they are always covered in rock? It is to increase the contact resistance between one's foot and the ground. An electrical fault in a substation can have the same effect - thousands of amps flowing to ground elevate the voltage at that point. The voltage falls off with distance from the point of flow into the ground, however, there will still be a voltage gradient perpendicular to any line from the centre of this point. If your feet are sufficiently far apart, the voltage difference between your feet will be enough to cause a deadly current to flow.

This is why it is advisable to keep your feet together if you are in an area which is likely to be struck by lightning.

Lightning and lightning protection is one of the subsets of electrical engineering - in particular high-voltage and power engineering. I have a pretty good grip on this. Leaving a device *on* does make it more likely to be damaged, simply because the there will be a path for damaging current to flow. Except that most devices these days use solid-state switches which will turn on in the presence of a high voltage fault, so it really doesn't matter, as long as the device is plugged in.

After my uncle's brand-new Zenith TV (circa 1980) turned "on" permanently as a result of a lightning strike on the power system, for many years after this we unplugged expensive electronic devices (i.e. tv, stereo) when a storm was likely.

--------------------
"The fate of *billions* depends on you! Hahahahaha....sorry." Lord Raiden - Mortal Kombat

Posts: 1587 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages