snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » itchy right palm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: itchy right palm
Tonia
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tonia   E-mail Tonia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am new here and I wanted to post an experience I had with the old wives tale about receiving money if your right palm itches, I had gotten 20 $3.00 scratch off tickets and I had gone through the first 19 with no luck but just before I started working on the last one my right palm started itching and the last one turned out to be a $50.00 winner.

--------------------
"you better cover up honny, we don't want the boys to see your boobies" (What my oldest girl said to her little sister when they were playing house.)

Posts: 5 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dawnshadow
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawnshadow   E-mail Dawnshadow   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On one hand, you're still out $10....
Posts: 131 | From: Newark, OH | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
posted by Tonia
I am new here and I wanted to post an experience I had with the old wives tale about receiving money if your right palm itches, I had gotten 20 $3.00 scratch off tickets and I had gone through the first 19 with no luck but just before I started working on the last one my right palm started itching and the last one turned out to be a $50.00 winner.

Well that settles it. The tale must be true [fish]

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Penny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm... that's 20 hits (19 correctly negative and 1 correctly positive). My maths is a bit shaky but I think the odds of that are 1 in 1048576.

Now, all you need to do is to perform it again a few times under controlled conditions and you can have a shot at winning the $1 million from James Randi.

I bet that palm hurts now [Razz]

Posts: 340 | From: Redmond, WA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bassist
Chess Nuts Boasting 'Round an Open Fire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bassist   E-mail Bassist   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I the only one who read the title of this thread and thought it belonged in NFBSK instead? [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I'm singing and deranged!"

Posts: 239 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bassist:
Am I the only one who read the title of this thread and thought it belonged in NFBSK instead? [Big Grin]

*Raises hand with itchy palm* Me too!

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Angel With Wax Wings
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angel With Wax Wings   E-mail Angel With Wax Wings   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Remind me next time to buy a lottery ticket when my palm is itchy...I also thought at first that this should go under NFBSK...

~Monica

--------------------
"Run for five minutes? Why don't you just shoot me now?"--Comic Book Guy (Simpsons)

Posts: 219 | From: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard that if you have an itchy right palm and then you masturbate, you can win $10.00

I know I've blown a load of quarters before [Razz]

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Does it itch because it's hairy?

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Funny, that's the second time I've been asked that question in my life! I'm not going to talk about the first.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Grand Illusion
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grand Illusion   Author's Homepage   E-mail Grand Illusion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
C'mon. Everyone knows that if your left palm itches, you'll get money, and if your right palm itches, you'll lose money.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?" - The Brain

Posts: 587 | From: Colorado | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So this whole time my lines were wrong? I'm never calling Ms. Cleo again!

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Raine
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raine   Author's Homepage   E-mail Raine   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I read the title and my right started itching. Go figure!

--------------------
"Do unto others before they do unto you!"-Ernie from Sesame Street

Posts: 22 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gavida
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gavida   E-mail Gavida   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am not sure about all of Germany, but I learned this as a "left hand itch"

But it didn't work yet [Razz]

Gavida

--------------------
"He looked bigger when I couldn't see him" - Jayne Cobb

Posts: 359 | From: Essen, NRW, Germany | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zman977
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zman977   Author's Homepage   E-mail zman977   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bassist:

You're not the only one. I thought the same thing. [Smile]

--------------------
Check out the podcast at www.candidradio.com

Ever notice how we always fall in love? We never climb gently in to love, or step lightly in to love. If love is such a good thing than why is it described as a fall.

Posts: 918 | From: La Salle Illinois USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
i typed for miles
"Repaint and thin no more!"

Icon 1 posted      Profile for i typed for miles   Author's Homepage   E-mail i typed for miles   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grand Illusion:
C'mon. Everyone knows that if your left palm itches, you'll get money, and if your right palm itches, you'll lose money.

my mom told me that as well, but reversed (left loses, right gains). additionally, if your ears are burning, someone is talking about you. those old wives and their tales!

--------------------
crazy is as crazy does, but fire speaks louder than words.

Posts: 21 | From: Virginia Beach | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405

my great granny (93) always said that if her nose itched someone was thinking about her...I picked that up [Smile]

--------------------

Spikey
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spikey   E-mail Spikey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by i typed for miles:
if your ears are burning, someone is talking about you.

Reminds me of a Jimmy Carr joke:

Ladies, if you have a burning sensation when you pee, if could be one of three things:

It could be cystitis.
It could be a bush fire.
Or it could mean someone's talking about your vagina.

--------------------
"The fact that "uvula" and "vulva" look and sound similar was just a happy coincidence." - Lainie

Posts: 548 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
An itchy right palm means... your right palm is itchy.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Squishy0405:
my great granny (93) always said that if her nose itched someone was thinking about her...I picked that up [Smile]

That one, I seem to recall, goes back to the Romans.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It would be nice if that worked, I'd probably be rich by now... My right palm tends to itch a lot because of old scars from a dog bite.

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages