snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » Walnuts keep spiders away

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Walnuts keep spiders away
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 401 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Some friends of mine recently purchased a new house, and the
previous owners left whole walnuts in every room.. According to the real
estate agent, the previous owners claimed this 'kept spiders away'..

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
asnakeny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for asnakeny   Author's Homepage   E-mail asnakeny   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about spiders, but I can recount from experience that walnuts lying around a house will attract mice and other rodents.

--------------------
Is here no telephone?

Posts: 323 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LyndaD
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LyndaD   E-mail LyndaD   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If walnuts keep spiders away, why do spiders live in walnut trees?

--------------------
I'll drive it ugly. You can't see the paint job when you're behind the wheel, anyway.

Posts: 570 | From: Central Valley, California | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 23 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But is it true that the average person swallows eight whole walnuts a year?

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dareyawes
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dareyawes     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My grandmother believes in the walnuts.

Additionally:
  • Mothballs keep mice and snakes away.
  • Bowls of beer will rid your garden of slugs.
  • Use Juicy Fruit gum for moles and gophers.
  • Lugnuts are for leprechauns.
  • Aluminum foil works on aliens (wrap your ceiling fan blades for best results).

--------------------
Bediffled: adj. to be in such a state of confusion that you are unable to remember any real words that mean: to be in a state of confusion. bediffle, bedifflement, bediffling

Posts: 152 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My grandfather-in-law thought the same thing about the walnuts, mothballs and beer. Additionally, if you had a "hoot owl" in your yard, simply push a sewing pin into a wall till it was flush with the surface. Apparently, they hate that. He also believed that if you trimmed a baby's fingernails (as opposed to biting them off) before its first birthday, the baby would grow up to be a thief.

I never checked his house for a tinfoil ceiling fan, but it wouldn't be much of a leap.

This summer, I'll toss a few walnuts around the workshop and we'll see if it does anything to spiders or if it just brings in rodents to chew on the power cords to my husband's tools.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Open Mike Night
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Open Mike Night     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard this, along with Osage-Oranges. My personal theory is that both arrive and are cleaned in the fall. That's when people put them around the house. The visible spider population naturally declines in the fall, because their food supply also naturally declines in the fall. I think it's a case of spurious cause.

--------------------
On the crusade to eliminate Moral Asshattery wherever it exists
Member: AAMAH

Posts: 2940 | From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Duke
Eagle Opportunity Employer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duke   Author's Homepage   E-mail Duke   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I have over 130 tarantulas, about 10 true spiders as well as centipedes and scorpions and I can tell you for a fact that certain tree's are bad for some spiders and other various ivertebrets.

Some tree's; namely pine and cedar produce a toxin against pests. This toxin is found in the sap of the tree and can keep certain sepecies of true spider and tarantula away from your yard. Over exposure to these toxins will eventually kill the spider.

I am not sure if Walnut tree's are on this list, but I do know that pet stores sell crushed walnuts as a substrate for most invertebrets.

However I would not use it.

--------------------
There is a way to to it right, it just a matter of finding out what it is!

The venomlist.com For all things Venomous, and some that are not!!!

Posts: 18 | From: Maple Falls, WA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Walnuts will only affect spiders if you squish the spiders with them.

No, wait - that didn't come out right.

Walnuts will only affect spiders if you squish the spiders with the nuts.

Crap...

Walnuts will only affect spiders if you squish the spiders with hard shells.

Fuggedaboudid.... I give up.

Use the walnuts to squish the spiders and you will be happy! [lol]

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seraphina
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seraphina   E-mail Seraphina   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard that fresh, crunched up walnut leaves should be put in dog house weekly to keep him free of fleas. They do have a strong odor, maybe that is the origin for this?
But in any case i consider spiders very beneficial and interesting creature, and have no intention to try to scare them off.

Posts: 214 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
musicgeek
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for musicgeek   E-mail musicgeek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dareyawes:

Bowls of beer will rid your garden of slugs.

This one works, though not as a repellent but as a trap. The slugs are attracted to the beer, fall in & drown/poison themselves. In the morning, you are faced with the pleasant task of empyting a bowl of bloated, beer-infused slug carcasses.

--------------------
[God said] "I'll just sit back in the shade while everyone gets laid; that's what I call intelligent design." - Chris Smither, "Origin of the Species"

Posts: 411 | From: Fairfield, CT | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Duke

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duke   Author's Homepage   E-mail Duke   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And you are a very smart person!!!

A bit of truth here!!!

For an average acre of land and spiders, between 2 and 5 million bugs are eaten by spiders!!!!

Now imagine our world with out that kind of pest control!

--------------------

Posts: 18 | From: Maple Falls, WA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Duke:
And you are a very smart person!!!

A bit of truth here!!!

For an average acre of land and spiders, between 2 and 5 million bugs are eaten by spiders!!!!

Now imagine our world with out that kind of pest control!

That sounds like my dad's reasoning for the hundrends of bats and bat houses around his pool. At some point I think pesticides might be a better choice than just moving up the food chain and letting predators v.s. prey fight things out amongst themselves.

ETA: My dad would never kill a living thing, so he uses other critters to do the dirty work for him. He created a nature preserve in his backyard with all kind of critters. When the neighbourhood cats took notice of it he got a feral feline beast to attack the other kitties and protect most of his birds and crawlies (and ignored the fact that his own wild kitty ate more than a few of them but to my dad's credit the feral beast did rip into the stray felines well... his yard is now that f's domain, and while I've seen the thing I have yet to get near enough to touch the creature known as "cat"... it sounds like a joke but the thing doesn't have a name, its just "cat" or "the cat", why bother naming a feral animal that doesn't come when you call it?).

My dad just has his own concept of what a food chain should look like. He'll do his best to chase off domestic cats and woodpeckers but he'll allow kestrals and hawks and then wonder where all his moles went. He's like a really weird god ruling over his little piece of property (but probably also effecting the surronding area).

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Some tree's; namely pine and cedar produce a toxin against pests.
Yup. Many houses in our neighbourhood are made of Western Red Cedar, which I only recently found out was termite-resistant. Although according to the link it repels other critters as well.

From our experience it isn't much of a spider-deterrent. However anybody who's ever met a huntsman spider will know there's not much that puts them off!

Little Galaxy

--------------------
I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains - that's why I live in Melbourne, where it always bloody rains.

Posts: 632 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Duke

Actually they will harm Huntsman spiders. You must realize though that it takes time. It does take prolonged exposure to have that great of effect.

Another good point to this is why do they make hope chests out of cedar? Because it keeps it bug free.

Walnut may very well be a wives tale, but there is a slight possiblity that it is true to some extent. At least we can say it has its origion in truth.

--------------------

FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't kill/remove spiders in my house unless they're of a larger size. I don't have an issue with them, unless their bigger than a half-dollar coin. I've seen first hand the results of a brown recluse bite- and I'm not up for dealing with that. [Wink] I also have a bat-house in my back yard. I'm all for the bug-eaters hanging around. [Big Grin]

My son has a fascination with spiders and wanting to own the larger, pet-like ones (such as Duke's giant tarantula pic in "critter country"). There is a city ordinance about owning snakes, so I'm pretty certain they have one about venomous things as well. I'll have to ask at the pet store when my son gets his new lizard.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Most of the spiders that make their way indoors at our place get ignored, unless they're obviously dangerous (like redbacks, which we'll spray), or hand-span sized (like huntsmen, in which case we make a huge song and dance before tossing a coin to see who gets to take the big hairy bugger outside [Smile] ).

They're not only useful as bug-eaters, but I've watched birds pick them off from under our eaves, so I figure any big spiders I swat would just deprive our birdlife of a good feed.

--------------------
I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains - that's why I live in Melbourne, where it always bloody rains.

Posts: 632 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Duke

Oh yes!! The red backs are not one to mess with! They are one of the more dangerous of the Lactrodectus species! Huntsment too (depending on species) can be fairly harmful too. But all spiders are useful to our enviroment! They are just as important as bee's!!!

Depending on where you live will depend on the restrictions for reptiles. For the most part there are very little restrictions for tarantulas, but can be found for true spiders, reptiles, and scorpions!
If you live in Australia or Florida you could find many tought and tight laws on the keeping of most all venomous pets.

Where I live we get tons of Orb Weavers and grass spiders that the birds go crazy over. I have seen them pluck them right off the webs!!! Its a natural balance that works great!!!

--------------------

medtchva
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for medtchva   E-mail medtchva   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Duke:
Oh yes!! The red backs are not one to mess with! They are one of the more dangerous of the Lactrodectus species!

Just an FYI for people.. the redback is a relative of the black widow (thank you Google LOL)
Posts: 229 | From: Lynchburg, VA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Towknie
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Towknie   E-mail Towknie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Additionally:
  • Aluminum foil works on aliens (wrap your ceiling fan blades for best results).

Foil on the ceiling fans eh? Well, we've been planning to paint the living room in the next couple weeks. I wonder if wrapping the fan up in foil would go with the color scheme. Sounds like fun to try it out.

--------------------
Towknie: Ryda-certified as wonderful, enlighted, and rational.

Posts: 1011 | From: Frisco, TX | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
geminilee
The First USA Noel

Icon 206 posted      Profile for geminilee   E-mail geminilee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

(posted by frogfeathers)I don't kill/remove spiders in my house unless they're of a larger size. I don't have an issue with them, unless their bigger than a half-dollar coin. I've seen first hand the results of a brown recluse bite- and I'm not up for dealing with that.

umm, you do know that brown recluse are little spiders, right? They don't get larger than a quarter, legs and all. You would do better to throw out all the spiders under the size of a half-dollar.

--------------------
"Accompanied by the ghosts of dolphins, the ghost of a ship sailed on..." Terry Pratchett

Posts: 660 | From: Gainesville, FL | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Haven't heard the walnuts-and-spiders OWT, but have heard the one about beer and slugs (snails, too). Apparently, the bowl of beer has to have its rim flush to the ground so the snails can crawl into the beer and drown. The beer acts as bait.

Another household tip I've heard: Mixing chili powder with birdseed before putting it in a birdfeeder is an excellent way to keep squirrels from overindulging themselves at the feeder. The birds can't taste it, but the squirrels can.

- Pseudo_Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bettie Page Turner
Happy Holly Days

Icon 24 posted      Profile for Bettie Page Turner   E-mail Bettie Page Turner   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by musicgeek:
The slugs are attracted to the beer, fall in & drown/poison themselves. In the morning, you are faced with the pleasant task of empyting a bowl of bloated, beer-infused slug carcasses.

Sounds like you are describing the short life cycle of the drunken one night stand. [Razz]

--------------------
You fail to consider, for such is the tyranny of fashion, that the swan is not a slim animal... -Jincy Kornhauser, Melinda Falling

Posts: 1762 | From: Charleston, West Virginia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My wifa also beleives that mothball are a remedy for mice. Apparently the mice eat the mothballs and the results aren't pretty.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'm Dreaming of a White Canvas

Icon 22 posted      Profile for I'm Dreaming of a White Canvas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Towknie:
quote:

Additionally:

Foil on the ceiling fans eh? Well, we've been planning to paint the living room in the next couple weeks. I wonder if wrapping the fan up in foil would go with the color scheme. Sounds like fun to try it out.
Well, if you don't see any aliens, you'll know it works!

I'll get it... [fish]

--------------------
"You hold the Prince so I can duct tape his bottom to keep the bugs out." - My Mom

Posts: 193 | From: The Fabulous Finger Lakes, New York | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Samantha Vimes
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Samantha Vimes   E-mail Samantha Vimes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to harvest walnuts. I'm rather certain I recall one of the nasty things being finding ones that had been broken into by birds or whatever sometimes having spiders living inside.
Posts: 457 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 204 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A few years ago, my mother read someplace that catnip sprinkled around a room's perimeter repels centipedes, so every time I'd go over there, I'd see catnip sprinkled all around the family room. I'm not sure if it worked, but a gut feeling tells me it didn't.

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'm Dreaming of a White Canvas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'm Dreaming of a White Canvas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I used to leave my camp set up for in one spot for long periods, I had terrible problems with mice until I ringed the spot with mothballs. No more mice!

--------------------
"You hold the Prince so I can duct tape his bottom to keep the bugs out." - My Mom

Posts: 193 | From: The Fabulous Finger Lakes, New York | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Samantha Vimes
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Samantha Vimes   E-mail Samantha Vimes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DawnStorm:
A few years ago, my mother read someplace that catnip sprinkled around a room's perimeter repels centipedes, so every time I'd go over there, I'd see catnip sprinkled all around the family room. I'm not sure if it worked, but a gut feeling tells me it didn't.

The cats might catch the centipedes, though.
Posts: 457 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Simon Says
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Simon Says   E-mail Simon Says   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Open Mike Night:
I've heard this, along with Osage-Oranges. My personal theory is that both arrive and are cleaned in the fall. That's when people put them around the house. The visible spider population naturally declines in the fall, because their food supply also naturally declines in the fall. I think it's a case of spurious cause.

I heard the walnut thing for spiders - I tried it, it didn't work in my basement. I heard the Osage oranges, or hedge apples, were for keeping away crickets... I never had a cricket problem so I didn't try this one.

When my dad was still alive and living in a nursing home, the old folks there believed that if you filled plastic bottles with water (they use 2 liter soda bottles) and hung them from various places that it would keep flies away. When I first saw it, I asked one of the nurses. She explained it and I said, "The staff doesn't actually believe that will work does it?" She said, "Nope, but it keeps them happy..." (referring to the residents)

I found that they conceded to all sorts of strange cures and such, as long as it wasn't harmful.

Posts: 624 | From: Kansas | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cinnamon
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cinnamon   Author's Homepage   E-mail Cinnamon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I hadn't heard about walnuts and spiders, but chestnuts are meant to keep them out. I'm terrified of spiders (to the point of having seen a psychologist about it when younger) so when I bought my flat my Mum bought me something called Spider Stop which is meant to deter them and contains chestnut extracts and clover leaf oil. It makes the place smell like Christmas Pudding but I don't know whether it actually works or not, mainly because I rarely use it. I've only had spiders in here when I've had the back windows open (trees about 8 feet away) so I don't open the back windows. That works.

Oh, and on the beer and slugs thing - I remember hearing on The News Quiz (topical comedy quiz for those who don't know) on BBC Radio 4 a newspaper cutting about the beer traps for slugs resulting in drunk hedgehogs weaving across lawns and snoring in flower beds. Again, no idea if that's true but it left a cute image in my mind.

--------------------
My blog - a continuing obsession with my weight plus much randomness
My opinions on books, music, and other stuff

Posts: 845 | From: Gloucestershire, UK | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I storm my walnuts in the freezer. I have never found a spider in the freezer. Must work.

Bay leaves keep weevils out of your pantry. They won't help the food that you carry the weevils in with, but they will keep them from spreading to other food. Or so I firmly believe.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Black walnut trees produce a chemical (juglone, used as a herbicide) that prevents certain other plants from growing around them.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages