snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » Baking soda in refrigerator

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Baking soda in refrigerator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 86 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I have (twice) recently seen that putting baking soda in the
refrigerator does not eliminate odors.

Can you confirm or deny?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Works just peachy in my freezer.

But is that the same as putting it in the fridge?

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jacob's Child
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob's Child   E-mail Jacob's Child   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always been a fan of cleaning out the smelly NFBSK from my fridge, rather than using baking soda. The same principle applies for Febreeze and similar products. Just wash the damn curtains/couch cover/whatever. I know, I know, some things aren't washable (although why someone would buy such an unwashable product is beyond me).

Judy

--------------------
In an avalanche, no individual snowflake feels responsible.

Posts: 402 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If it was my own refrigerator, I would eat it all out and clean it. Unless the expiration date happens to be six days old.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Algae
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 19 posted      Profile for Algae   Author's Homepage   E-mail Algae   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
^Fridge odor smell

I keep baking soda in the fridge, but I don't know if it really helps or not. A quick Google search gives conflicting answers. This site seems to recommend using it mostly as a cleaning agent, not just keeping it in the fridge. Straight Dope seems to think it works. However, this guy doesn't really think it does a lot of good.

quote:
Originally posted by Jacob's Child:
I've always been a fan of cleaning out the smelly NFBSK from my fridge, rather than using baking soda. The same principle applies for Febreeze and similar products. Just wash the damn curtains/couch cover/whatever. I know, I know, some things aren't washable (although why someone would buy such an unwashable product is beyond me).

Judy

[hijack]I use Febreeze for our winter coats after we go over to my in-laws in the winter (they smoke) and I don't feel like washing them every time. It also works well on foam mascot costumes that don't get washed because they'll fall apart.[/hijack]

--------------------
Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Don't drink and derive!

Posts: 1957 | From: Southeast Michigan | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Die Capacitrix
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Die Capacitrix     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Baking soda in the fridge, especially the boxes specifically designed for it, seems to be a North American thing. I buy baking soda is amounts similar to spices - there are no larger containers. I do use it for cleaning the fridge.

[hijack]If you hang smoky clothes outside overnight, most of the smoky smell will go away by morning. No chemicals needed. We do this after spending an evening in a smoky bar.[/hijack]

--------------------
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces." Judith Viorst

Posts: 1082 | From: Luzern, Switzerland | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richl
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richl   E-mail Richl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mom always put a box of arm&hammer in the fridge...don't know if it really works, I can't smell a thing anyway.
Posts: 106 | From: Mesa, AZ | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dear Babby
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dear Babby     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Baking soda is great for cleaning scummy surfaces and burnt-on stuff on pans. You can buy it in a shaker can now and it's kind of granulated. i just found it at Costco in a large size which is marketed for use in swimming pools. After you leaave it in the fridge awhile you can clean with it (whether it will deodorize the fridge or not...) Pouring some down the garbage disposal seems to freshen it a bit. Of course it foams up when mixed w vinegar and I didn't find that effective enough for cleaning the drain.

(I'm not really that domestic but it really does work and has to be better for the environment than a lot of things you could use)

Posts: 326 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you cover/wrap the things in the fridge and keep it reasonably wiped up, what are these odors that are so important to eliminate? I don't put baking soda in mine and I don't smell anything much, certainly nothing objectionable.

Maybe people think it works because there are no odors in their fridges to begin with.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mrs. Chicopea
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mrs. Chicopea     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Unrelated to it's powers in the fridge, but baking soda has been the only thing to cure my heartburn these past 9 months. A God send I tells ya!

--------------------
Don't judge someone unless you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then, if you still don't like them, it's ok! You'll be a mile away from them and you'll have their shoes.

Posts: 1300 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I keep a box in my fridge, which came with my apartment. When I moved in, it had been off for a while and was very stuffy/plastic-y smelling.

It works to keep the garbage can fresh, so I don't see why it wouldn't work in a fridge, unless there were science experiments growing!

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My parents are cleaning the refrigerator out, since all the perishables within spoiled when the pwer went out, thanks to Katrina. They're looking for a place to get a canister of activated charcoal, since they think baking soda won't work (or some of the URL's mentioned above say). Where would we find a canister of activated charcoal?

- Pseudo "hurricanes stink" Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Giselle
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Giselle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Charcoal Briquettes work very well.-I have no idea where you'd get activated charcoal.

--------------------
Ralphie, get off the stage sweetheart.

Posts: 2041 | From: Yuba City, California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Die Capacitrix:
If you hang smoky clothes outside overnight, most of the smoky smell will go away by morning. No chemicals needed. We do this after spending an evening in a smoky bar.

That may not work so well during the winter. Anything left out overnight in the winter, such as the winter coats Algae was talking about, probably won't be wearable again until it's been back inside for quite some time to warm up. We can't even leave our footwear in the mudroom during winter because they're frozen in the morning.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nuclear Mosquito
Crane Damaged

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nuclear Mosquito   E-mail Nuclear Mosquito   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pseudo_Croat, pet stores sell carbon for use in fish tank filters. I don't know if it's "activated", but it might work.

--------------------
If my calculations are correct: SLINKY + escalator = endless fun!

Posts: 317 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 208 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Nuclear Mosquito. I'll give it a try.

- Pseudo_Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was thinking at one point they had an X Day guarantee or your money back at one point or if it is even still existing. Couldn't find any relative links.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Die Capacitrix
We Three Blings

Icon 302 posted      Profile for Die Capacitrix     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jenn:
quote:
If you hang smoky clothes outside overnight, most of the smoky smell will go away by morning. No chemicals needed. We do this after spending an evening in a smoky bar.

That may not work so well during the winter. Anything left out overnight in the winter, such as the winter coats Algae was talking about, probably won't be wearable again until it's been back inside for quite some time to warm up. We can't even leave our footwear in the mudroom during winter because they're frozen in the morning.
Forgot about real winter. It normally doesn't get so cold here - we hover around freezing (+/- 5 C) for most of the winter. Even then I try to bring in my coat about 15 minutes before leaving. Since I normally go to work by car (and wearing a sweater, etc.), it's not so critical that my coat is totally warmed up.

Did I mention I really don't like the smell of Febreeze?

--------------------
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces." Judith Viorst

Posts: 1082 | From: Luzern, Switzerland | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ChelleGame
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChelleGame   E-mail ChelleGame   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have many, many pets. Okay -- 7 pets. Febreze is terrific just as insurance. I don't think my house smells, but I spray the Febreze and lose the residual paranoia.

Because you can't wash everything every day.

--------------------
Michelle

Posts: 953 | From: Ely, Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I tried it once. I preferred the odor I was trying to kill to the odor of the Febreze.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Baking soda is supposed to control humidity and thus keep things from going bad.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tantei Kijo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tantei Kijo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tantei Kijo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pseudo_Croat:
My parents are cleaning the refrigerator out, since all the perishables within spoiled when the pwer went out, thanks to Katrina. They're looking for a place to get a canister of activated charcoal, since they think baking soda won't work (or some of the URL's mentioned above say). Where would we find a canister of activated charcoal?

They have some special odor eliminators at Bed Bath & Beyond (or any similarly themed store, I assume). Can't vouch for how they work, but that's one place to search.

--------------------
Bender: Though you may have to make a metaphorical "deal with the devil". And by "devil", I mean the robot devil, and by "metaphorically" I mean get your coat. ------------ My sad site: A new way to be bored.

Posts: 722 | From: Colorado | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sara at home:
quote:

I tried it once. I preferred the odor I was trying to kill to the odor of the Febreze.
I agree 100% with that. Plus the Febreeze smell seemed to last way longer than any odor ever would. Of course this was before they offered a variety of smells, but I've been afraid to try any of them since.

As far as smoky coats/clothes, I've usually found good results with putting the item into a dryer and fluffing (no heat). If the smoke is really strong, put fabric softener on a damp cloth and add it too.

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MsBeaverhausen
Deck the Malls

Icon 503 posted      Profile for MsBeaverhausen   E-mail MsBeaverhausen   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

We had to empty the fridge because of Katrina as well and my sister told me to use coffee and it worked great. Just get some cheap coffee and pour it into some bowls and put it into the fridge and freezer. I still use baking soda in the fridge, I don't know why, it is just what mom did all those years.

--------------------
I love Jesus... PURPLE JESUS !!!

Posts: 248 | From: Ft. Lauderdale, FL | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lioness
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lioness         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Baking soda is also great for removing tea stains from teacups and kettles. Just make a paste using a little water, let it sit for a minute or so, then rub and rinse. I've tried it and found that it really works.
Posts: 223 | From: Long Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wolfs Bane
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfs Bane   Author's Homepage   E-mail Wolfs Bane   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mom uses bakeing soda in the frige and it keeps everything fresh.

Starlight

--------------------
My heat belongs to the moon

I am the hunter.... I am the pray

Posts: 52 | From: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lotta Palaver
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 37 posted      Profile for Lotta Palaver         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I Googled it and it seems like lots of places sell it! Seems like it's mostly for treating poisonings, which may come in handy if you accidently eat some of that food! [Eek!]

--------------------
Your ultimate source of superfluous flummery.

Posts: 595 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages