snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » Don't pull hair from moles?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Don't pull hair from moles?
Look It Up
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For years I've heard pulling hairs from moles was somehow "bad." I never heard of any consequences. I'd just heard it was "bad." Has anyone else heard of this? Because my girlfriend hadn't [Smile]

[ 06. July 2005, 10:35 PM:   snopes ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RangerDog
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why would you pull hairs off of this little guy?

-

Ranger [Confused] Dog

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never heard of it. I have a mole that has one little black hair that is constantly growing back. I always pull it and nothing has happened to me...

guru "but that would explain why the third arm started growing from the mole" wan2b

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I couldn't find anything from googling "pulling hair from moles" or "pulling hair" and "moles".

But I did manage to find this webpage that says that hairy moles are normal, and it actually advises you to pluck it if the hairs are unsightly.

And RangerDog, YOMANK. [lol]

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have hundreds of moles all over my body, but only one has a hair growing out of it. The hair is black (probably from the pigment of the mole) so I pluck it, and nothing's ever happened. It just grows back.

Aside from that and the Lone Black Chin Hair, all the rest of my body hair is blonde.

I have no idea where the Lone Black Chin Hair comes from. It's rather coarse and thick compared to my normal body hair, and tends to resist plucking.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooh, I can pluck them then? I have three or four moles (including one on my face, urgh) that are hairy, but I've always trimmed due to skin-cancer fear. Why I think pulling the hairs out should cause the mole to go cancerous I've got no idea.

Tattoo artist often avoid tattooing over moles as well, probably for the same irrational fear that stops me pulling hair out of 'em.

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:

I have no idea where the Lone Black Chin Hair comes from. It's rather coarse and thick compared to my normal body hair, and tends to resist plucking.

I have one of those, too. All the other hair on my face is of the downy soft, blonde variety, except for that "grandma" hair. It irritates me to no end.

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonlight
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight   E-mail moonlight   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well according to my esthetics textbook, "Hairs in moles are common and should not be removed." It does not state why but I have also heard it has something to do with changing the internal structure of a mole. I guess we don't learn anything more in depth about it because we are not supposed to do anything with them. However, it is something we need to know to be licensed for esthetics in the state so there must be a reason. I do hair removal and I never touch hairs in moles.

--------------------
I'm back to lurking.

Posts: 2709 | From: Illinois | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LibrarianJen
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LibrarianJen   E-mail LibrarianJen   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I too have heard this advice, but have always ignored it. I have a mole that I do pluck a hair from whenever it grows back, and have never suffered any consequences.
Posts: 1093 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ouch My Ankle

quote:
Originally posted by moonlight:
Well according to my esthetics textbook, "Hairs in moles are common and should not be removed." It does not state why but I have also heard it has something to do with changing the internal structure of a mole....

Hmmm... Interesting.

Darn. I hate it when we're told "something bad will happen" but we're not told what the bad thing is.

FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In my "Dictionary of Superstitions" aside from the "where the mole is located" having an effect (much like those "Wednesday's baby is..." things)... it says:

"Hairs that grow out of facial moles are especially lucky and should not be removed."

It mentions a Scottish tradition that "a mole above the breath" (meaning above the mouth) is evidence that the person concerned is a witch.

I pluck mine- they're ugly enough without that nasty hair sticking out of them. I, too, have that one single chin hair thing as well. I think they issue those to us when we achieve some womanly achievement in adulthood.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WonkoTheSane
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WonkoTheSane     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Every time I pluck out a mole hair, one from the top of my head is sucked in to replace it... That MUST be what's happening...

Wonko

--------------------
"It seemed to me that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilzation in which I could live and stay sane."

Posts: 1462 | From: Outside the Asylum (Massachusetts) | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WonkoTheSane:
Every time I pluck out a mole hair, one from the top of my head is sucked in to replace it... That MUST be what's happening...

Wonko

Wonko! Nice to see you make an appearance! You've been scarce lately, how are things going? [Smile]

Back on topic though...

I have one mole on my body that gets about three darker hairs that grow out of it on ocassion. It's near the crook of my left elbow, and I've been plucking the three hairs out for years now. My mole still looks the same, it hasn't gotten any bigger, and I haven't died yet. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Are we talking about a furry rat Mole

or the mole from your body Mole?? [Confused]

quote:
Originally posted by RangerDog:
Why would you pull hairs off of this little guy?

-

Ranger [Confused] Dog

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ouch My Ankle

quote:
Originally posted by Joseph Z:
Are we talking about a furry rat Mole

or the mole from your body Mole?

My original query was about the belief that pulling hairs from moles on your body is bad for you.

It would probably be bad to pull hairs from a furry rat mole -- but only on an ethical level.

Laura......The one with the rage

I have one on my neck, but there is no sign of hair growing from it. I heard that if you "cut" a mole or make it bleed, that will give you cancer.
Ciara...
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 210 posted      Profile for Ciara...   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura......The one with the rage:
I heard that if you "cut" a mole or make it bleed, that will give you cancer.

If true, that'd mean bad news for a nasty girl I went to school with. [Big Grin]

Unfortunately it would also mean bad news for me.

Now I'm all conflicted.

--------------------
-Oh, we'd all like to lick the great Superman, Jimmy.

Posts: 2298 | From: Eastern Scandinavia (Sverige) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
damsa

If the mole is irregular looking and bleeding on its own. I think it may be a sign of cancer. So maybe that's where the myth comes from. I have pulled a many mole and bled and I haven't died yet.
Ouch My Ankle

Is there a dermatologist in the house? [Wink]
Drummk
Rabies Home Journal

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drummk   E-mail Drummk   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to e-medicine, cancerous growths may be mistaken for moles.
Posts: 388 | From: Scotland | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Thera
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thera   E-mail Thera   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a mole that grows SEVERAL hairs - there is almost no day that goes by that at least one of them is long enough to pluck. I have been plucking for over 15 years and the mole has not changed at all.

A dermatologist once told me that the moles with hairs are actually the "safe" ones - not likely to get cancerous.

Posts: 100 | From: Georgia | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 18 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I used to have one of those--it takes awhile for it to completely disappear, but the Tweezers of Death proved to be too much in the end.

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
xOasisX

quote:

Aside from that and the Lone Black Chin Hair, all the rest of my body hair is blonde.

I feel you on that Cervus. I have the opposite color problem though. My hair is naturally so black it almost looks blue and I have a very lonely very blonde single strand of hair that pops out of my chin and has so far kept coming back despite repeated tweezing. Blah.
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought moles were just like freckles just with hair and a dermatologist could remove the offending character from your skin with a simple surgery.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
senshisteph
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for senshisteph   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I have one on my neck, but there is no sign of hair growing from it. I heard that if you "cut" a mole or make it bleed, that will give you cancer.

I was quite young when the first big skin cancer scare thing hit the news, and out of childish paranoia managed to scratch a mole right off my arm! The skin there is slightly dark and shiny but 20 years on I'm still healthy...

--------------------
七転び八起き
nana korobi ya oki
'fall down seven times, get up eight.'

Posts: 155 | From: Nagoya, Japan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Enjal
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Enjal   E-mail Enjal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

If that was true, I don't think my dermatologist would've biopsied those two moles on my back - a procedure that involves both cutting and bleeding (and really itchy scabs too, unfortunately).

--------------------
"I'm a leaf in the wind"
New Lungs for George

Posts: 2719 | From: the other Portland (US) | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages