snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » Listerine for thinning hair

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Listerine for thinning hair
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 24 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I have heard that some folks with thinning hair believe that
rubbing listerine mouthwash in their scalp will help their hair grow.
have you heard of this one?
I don't know which flavor they use.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know, but it'll sure leave your scalp minty fresh!

"Gee, honey, your scalp smells terrific"

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Remarkgullabull
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Remarkgullabull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have heard this legend before. I believe it is the original Listerine formula that supposedly stimulates hair follicle growth. It may not grow hair, but your scalp will be nice and fresh!

--------------------
Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Posts: 1961 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ToadMagnet
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ToadMagnet   E-mail ToadMagnet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Remarkgullabull Real Numbers:
I have heard this legend before. I believe it is the original Listerine formula that supposedly stimulates hair follicle growth. It may not grow hair, but your scalp will be nice and fresh!

And tingly!

It might strip the gunk off the hair that's already there and make it appear fuller. But I can also imagine hair follicles reacting to the onslaught of a germ-seeking antiseptic wash by launching a new hair.

--------------------
Listen ... it's Mellow!

Posts: 927 | From: Virginia | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kauna
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kauna   E-mail Kauna   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll be glad to try it and report back. I recently had a very big knot in my hair and ended up pulling out enough to give me a little nickle-sized bald patch. (This is why I normally keep my hair short.)

--------------------

Posts: 17 | From: Georgia | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Unusual Elfin Lights
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unusual Elfin Lights   Author's Homepage   E-mail Unusual Elfin Lights   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently, Edgar Cayce highly recommended it.

Not that I'm vain, but I'll give it a shot.

Hehehe. It's no worse than the junk my wife dumps into her hair.

Posts: 2064 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Han Pritcher
Squall or nothing

Icon 202 posted      Profile for Han Pritcher         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a teenager, I suffered with excessive dandruff. I remember readng on the Listerine wrapper (the cylidrical cardboard) that listerine can be used for dandruff. Essentially, rub it in the scalp. Listerine had a lot of uses and was basically the answer to many health and hygiene issues. I remember the fine print and all the things it can cure.
Needless to say, i never used it on my head. the thing burned my mouth, who knows what it was going to do to my scalp.
I don't know if the formula they sell now is the same as 20 years ago. I do know they changed the label since then.

Han Pritcher

Posts: 81 | From: Jersey Shore | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 607 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Somehow I doubt putting a chemical designed for your teeth is safe to put in your hair. It would probably leave a burning sensation and infection more than a tingly one.

However Yahoo search comes up with one site that says Listerine for dandruff treatment is ok, or is it?

quote:

Our Top dandruff listerine Resource

All natural Neem Shampoo controls Dandruff

A mild all-purpose shampoo which helps minor scalp problems like psoriasis, dandruff & dry skin. Gentle enough to use every day. Massage evenly into hair and leave on for a minute or two. Rinse well. Neem Tree, Yucca, Comfrey, Stinging Nettle, Cucumber, Camomile & Horsetail Extracts, Wheatgerm, Evening Primrose & Rosa Mosqueta Oils, Vegetable Glycerine, Sorbitol, Natural Vitamin E, Pure Rosemary & Lavender Essential Oils, Natural Shampoo Base, Purified Water.

http://cascadiahealthproducts.com/Dandruff%20Resources/dandruff-listerine.html

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

How can I treat a dry and itchy scalp? Nioxin does not help.

If the dry and itchy scalp also leads to mild dandruff, some Listerine applied to the scalp may also help. Apparently Listerine was marketed during WWII as a dandruff remedy. See the quote from the People's Pharmacy below:

"The active ingredients of Listerine include essential oils (thymol, eucalyptol, menthol, methyl salicylate) with anti-fungal activity. Dermatologists have determined that dandruff can be caused by fungus (yeast), so it makes sense that attacking the fungus might offer relief."

http://www.healthcentral.com/peoplespharmacy/pharmfulltext.cfm?ID=60802&;storytype=PPcolumn_question

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kauna
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kauna   E-mail Kauna   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I tried using it to help that hair I pulled out grow back faster. Ive been using it for a few days and:

1) Not surprisingly, my hair does not seem to be growing back any faster at all. I didn't really expect it to but I kinda hoped. [Smile]

2) It doesn't burn at all. It just feels cold and you can really smell it.

Also, Joseph Z, I don't think it would give you an infection considering that Listerine is an antiseptic. And if it matters, (I doubt it) I was using the cool mint flavor. Anyway, I can be rest assured that I don't have any plaque or the gum disease known as Gingivitis on my hair. [lol]

--------------------

Posts: 17 | From: Georgia | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mystara
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Their website provides a toll free number where you can direct questions or comments.

1-800-223-0182

--------------------
Dad, what are books?
Look it up on the internet son.

Posts: 66 | From: Washington, D.C. | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BelleMorte
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BelleMorte   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have used it on my hair. Never noticed a change in growth, but it helped strip a lot of buildup.

--------------------
"Cheating Hall Of Shame"-in honor of the dishonest.
Every driver, owner and crew chief has a place in our Hall, which won't be moving to Daytona Beach anytime soon. Lone exception? Kyle Petty, who hasn't won a race since 1754.

Posts: 545 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've used it for dandruff control and it does work. Simply rub a capful in your hair. The smell will disappear when your hair dries.

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kitsune26
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kitsune26     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I had a case of cradle cap at the grand old age of 12, I was advised to use a mix of Listerene and witch hazel.
Worked well, but it did kinda smell for a long time afterwards.

--------------------
I'm as giddy as a Japanese school girl in an octopus tank.

Posts: 641 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages