snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » Can ugly faces really break mirrors?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can ugly faces really break mirrors?
BertRaccoon
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 301 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Didn't know where to post this one. As popularized by the media and in jokes told by many, an ugly person who stares into a mirror or other reflective glass surface will break it.

Is this true?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Short answer: No.

Long answer: Mirrors have no awareness, and "ugly" is in the eye of the (human) beholder. To insentiate glass and silver backing, a reflection is a reflection, no matter of what. Ugly is powerless to affect non-sentient inanimate objects. Sound waves and vibrations can break mirrors and other glass, of course, but not ugly people.

And, really, who is to say what is ugly? Beauty is transient, beauty is superficial, beauty is only skin-deep--but ugly goes all the way to the bone. Love an ugly person, and you have a lover for a lifetime. Love a beautiful person, and you take your chances on tomorrow.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And the point of this was...?

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
To ask a question and receive an answer, I presume.

--------------------

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wetinuk74

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with Brad
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There is one way... That the person looking into the mirror has such a low sense of self esteem, sees their reflection and snaps, and physically breaking the mirror in the process. Thats about it.

But since a mirror is an inanimate objectand can't respons to something that has no standard for objectivity, it just can't be true. This is an Old Wife Tale that really doesn't warrent much discussion.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Moth-ruti

Icon 401 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd hate to disagree with Brad et al, but now you know why I've not posted on this thread, while everyone else has. [Frown]

mo "saving throw vs Petrification" ruti

terralioness
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terralioness   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moth-ruti:
mo "saving throw vs Petrification" ruti

I always loved forcing my GM to roll for horror factor. I rarely create a character that doesn't have one. [Wink]

On topic, though, I wonder where this came from. The mirror concept that comes to mind is that breaking a mirror leads to seven years of bad luck. Anyone know the origins of this? I figure it comes from that elusive "old belief" that something that has your image has your soul as well. Maybe if a mirror contains the soul of an ugly person, it destroys itself in despair...

It just seems to be a strange image to have embedded itself so deeply in our culture. The ugly person grins a smile with a few missing teeth at an old mirror, which subsequently cracks outward from the middle. We accept it as making perfect sense, even though... it really doesn't. Hm.

terraliones

--------------------
"I never liked Hemingway."
"I never liked you."

Posts: 543 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DarkDan
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkDan   Author's Homepage   E-mail DarkDan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No, but if you say Bloody Mary 13 times to a mirror, it breaks you.

Dark"In Soviet Russia..."Dan

--------------------
Missing snopesters | snopesters Facebook group | SLC Birthdays | What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?
"Gonna free fall out into nothing, gonna leave this world for a while" --Tom Petty

Posts: 3698 | From: Philadelphia, PA or >Tinton Falls, NJ< | Registered: Oct 1492  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wild.Otaku
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wild.Otaku   Author's Homepage   E-mail Wild.Otaku   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the breaking of mirrors goes hand in hand with spilling salt, walking under ladders, black cats, 13 being an unlucky number - all supsersitions that were believed to be bad luck. We as humans tend to come up with tales to explain what we don't understand.

Wild 'I'm not unlucky, it's just not my day' Otaku

--------------------
Tom, we're flying a giant robot into space! "Safe" isn't the first word that springs to mind! - Colleen, Last Hope, Vol.2

Posts: 2710 | From: Meet me in St. Louis | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cobra4J
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobra4J   E-mail Cobra4J   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Are people actually taking this post seriously?
Posts: 479 | From: Owosso, MI | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Deciduousblonde

Maybe it can happen...has anyone else noticed that if you look at yourself in the mirror for a very long time you appear really ghoulish looking? so darned ugly that I have been tempted to break the mirror [Big Grin]

deciduous'but maybe I am just ugly'blonde

resELution

Icon 1 posted      Profile for resELution   E-mail resELution   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can see how someone might joke, upon seeing themselves in the mirror.

"Oh.. I know I'm not THAT ugly! The mirror must be broken."

or

"Damn, dude! Look at your ugly mug. Talkin' about, you broke the mirror!"

I think it's a figure of speach.

Posts: 2286 | From: Washington State | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never broken a mirror by looking at it. Case closed.
Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'm 20th Century Fox
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'm 20th Century Fox   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'm 20th Century Fox   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, it's true - ugly faces can break mirrors. But for best results, lower your head a little and get a running start.

--------------------
When my chin is on the ground I pick myself up, dust myself off and start all over again.

Posts: 1765 | From: Greensboro, NC | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Slainey
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Slainey   E-mail Slainey       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I took this seriously not so much in a "Is it true" but in a "how did this idea get started".

In medieval art a mirror is often used to represent vanity - in that it's the beautiful people who get lost in their own reflections.

Still it doesn't follow that an ugly person would break the mirror. Wouldn't they just have no need for one.

Slainey
Objects in mirror are uglier than *>crash<* they appear

Posts: 2655 | From: MO USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

I don't know, and am far too lazy to do the research, but I suspect that it all has to do with "doubles." Around in these parts, it's still sometimes a custom in rural areas to cover all the mirrors in a house when a person has died in the house...because evidently when mirrors first came into use, people had the odd notion that they reflected one's soul as well as one's outward abode of clay, and that a mirror could somehow capture the soul of the dearly departed unless covered.

Now, if one's soul were nasty and evil, then the superstition could begin that the person was so "ugly" that his or her warped, twisted soul would strain the glass and break the mirror.

Against this, the earliest mirrors were made of metal, not of glass. Maybe back then the superstition was that a person could be so ugly that when he or she gazed into a mirror, it would instantly tarnish to utter opacity. And that is why, children, when you see an ugly person, you involuntarily exclaim "Tarnation!"

If mirrors can trap souls, perhaps damaging, breaking a mirror if you will, can reciprocally cause damage to the soul, so that breaking a mirror will injure the soul so badly that it takes seven years to heal, allowing all sorts of evil influences to interfere and bring about bad fortune during the interval.

Or, and in my opinion this is far more likely, all this could be a load of dingo's kidneys.

Brad "too lazy to look it up, but man do I MAKE it up" from Georgia

--------------------

resELution

Icon 105 posted      Profile for resELution   E-mail resELution   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Against this, the earliest mirrors were made of metal, not of glass. Maybe back then the superstition was that a person could be so ugly that when he or she gazed into a mirror, it would instantly tarnish to utter opacity. And that is why, children, when you see an ugly person, you involuntarily exclaim "Tarnation!"
Brad, that could be a legend all on it's own! Now I'm all hot under the pants to find out what the origion of tarnation is, since you admit to making that up.
Here it is, tarnation. It could also be translated as Hell.

Oh Brad, I liked your origion better, and I'm inclined, in a most malevolent way, to spread it around like butter and see how many people belive me. [Wink]

resE"evil laugh, mwahaha"Lution

Posts: 2286 | From: Washington State | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Phildonnia Form PD1040 Schedule A

quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:
... Beauty is transient, beauty is superficial, beauty is only skin-deep--but ugly goes all the way to the bone. Love an ugly person, and you have a lover for a lifetime. Love a beautiful person, and you take your chances on tomorrow.

And if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life,
Never make a pretty woman your wife...

Dark Jaguar
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dark Jaguar   E-mail Dark Jaguar   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I never thought it was some deeply entrenched part of our culture. I don't think anyone actually believes someone that is ugly could ever break a mirror.

I've ALWAYS thought it was just a sight gag, supposed to really get it through that the person is ugly. You know, something similar to someone screaming "MY EYES!".

Posts: 958 | From: United States | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

quote:
Originally posted by Phildonnia Form PD1040 Schedule A:
And if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life,
Never make a pretty woman your wife...

Yeah, mon!

Brad "even if she a crob, mon!" from Georgia

--------------------

Cobra4J
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobra4J   E-mail Cobra4J   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I like Mike Warnke's jokes. He talks about how ugly he is- one comment being "I asked my brother, and he said 'man, you could make a train take a dirt road.'"
Posts: 479 | From: Owosso, MI | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wild.Otaku
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wild.Otaku   Author's Homepage   E-mail Wild.Otaku   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Deciduousblonde:
Maybe it can happen...has anyone else noticed that if you look at yourself in the mirror for a very long time you appear really ghoulish looking? so darned ugly that I have been tempted to break the mirror [Big Grin]

deciduous'but maybe I am just ugly'blonde

Acutally, I though I took on a more animalistic look..like a feline than ghoulish. I think that can be attributed to the minds eye and whether or not we see what we're seeing and what we want to believe what we see.

Wild 'yep, just me rambling again' Otaku

--------------------
Tom, we're flying a giant robot into space! "Safe" isn't the first word that springs to mind! - Colleen, Last Hope, Vol.2

Posts: 2710 | From: Meet me in St. Louis | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages