snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » Hat+Bed=Bad luck?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hat+Bed=Bad luck?
JesusisaMyth1225
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 05 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mom just yelled at me "Chelle get your hat off of that bed right now! It's bad luck!" I'm completely new to the hat on bed equals bad luck thing. it seems kind of silly. So, is my mom alone in her hat phobia or is there someone else who's heard of this?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Colonist of the North

Icon 05 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't see why it would be bad luck. They are even selling them on the internet
mens sleep caps

heck in the 1920, people slept with night Hats all the time.

Dark Jaguar
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Dark Jaguar   E-mail Dark Jaguar   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Relax, your mom is just insane is all [Big Grin] . Sorry, never heard of this one. I'm surprised she would actually say you MUST remove the hat from the bed. My mom knows of a few interesting bad luck things, but she only says them as jokes. I haven't actually met anyone who actually believes walking under ladders and whatnot is bad luck.
Posts: 958 | From: United States | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rossdawg

Icon 22 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to Drugstore Cowboy, it is bad luck. Worse than a broken mirror.
Bonnie

Icon 104 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From Éloïse Mozzani's Le livre des superstitions: mythes, croyances et légendes (Paris: Robert Laffont, 1995),

quote:
Poser un chapeau sur le lit, ce qui évoquerait une couronne sur un cercueil, attire la mort dans la maison. Pour certains, le faire sur le lit d'un autre signifie qu'on desire le voir trépasser. C'est pourquoi Picasso, voyant un jour un chapeau sur son lit, fut persuade qu'un ennemi cherchait à l'envoyer prématurément dans l'au-delà. Un couvre-chef sur un lit peut également entraîner des querelles et, pour les lutteurs et boxeurs, est de mauvais augure pour le combat, le même presage s'appliquant au chapeau laissé sur un canapé. [Pg. 334]
Which roughly translates to (and corrections are welcome),

quote:
Placing a hat on a bed, which evokes the image of a crown placed on a coffin, attracts death to the home. For some, putting a hat on the bed of another [person] signifies the desire to see him pass away. This is why Picasso, on seeing one day a hat on his bed, assumed that an enemy had placed it there so as to send him prematurely to his grave. A hat on a bed can also involve quarrels and, for fighters and boxers, is a bad omen for upcoming matches; the same applies to a hat left on a settee.
Which leads me to deduce, then, that your mother is, in fact, a French pugilist.

Bonnie "don't mess with Mom" Taylor

--------------------
Se non è vero, è ben trovato.

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elbe
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 501 posted      Profile for Elbe   Author's Homepage   E-mail Elbe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd actually heard the hat-bed thing before, back when I wore hats more often. I always equated it to the open umbrellas indoor is bad luck idea.

--------------------
Nobody loves Elbe...
-The Adventure of the Avatar Tutorials (3/29)

Posts: 2776 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abby 68
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 15 posted      Profile for abby 68   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to keep all my hats hanging on the headboard of my bed or just tossed on the bed,when I was a teen. This was dozens & dozens of them, never had bad luck once. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1932 | From: Toronto | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Crackrzz
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 103 posted      Profile for Crackrzz   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crackrzz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard shoes on a table is bad luck... but not a hat on the bed.

Man "That could explain alot..." dy

--------------------
Stand up, slip on the bathtub floor, fling a hand up to balance yourself, and happen to have your mouth open on the downswing. Voila, a new hole in your face.

-Tabby, on how she cut her lip while shaving her legs.

Posts: 5097 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Santa Mari-a
Happy Holly Days

Icon 603 posted      Profile for Santa Mari-a     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always thought of this as a Greek thing, as my big fat Greek family drummed this superstition into me. The closest I ever got to an explanation was that the hat represents a disembodied head, hence placing the hat on the bed means you're cutting off your own head. I guess by inference from the post above, the bed represents a coffin. [Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

--------------------
Si hoc comprehendere potes, gratias age magistro Latinae.

Posts: 1720 | From: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ShyannAutumn

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The "Hat on the bed" brings death to the one who wears it. (silly I know) I was raised with this superstition all my life. I blame it on my being raised around cowboys and their many superstitions.

Some of the "old timers" said a cowboy never let go of his hat unless he was sleeping or dead. (I could add more...but [Big Grin] ) It's similar to the above post that quoted it representing a coffin.

In earlier times the hat placed on the bed was out of respect to the deceased meaning "Eternal Sleep". Some believed if the hat was placed there by accident it was sign that death would soon follow. With knowing the horrible conditions the "old timers" work under, for some it came true. So naturally the superstition took hold.

I'm not a Englush major so don't thrash me to bad.

Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 220 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have also read that putting one's cap on a hotel bed is a no-no among baseball players - probably for a similar reason.

- Pseudo_Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard that leaving your hat on your girlfriend's bed is bad luck if her husband finds it.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ros*****

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:
I've heard that leaving your hat on your girlfriend's bed is bad luck if her husband finds it.

Hear Hear!!! Especially if it is a jimmy hat!

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages