snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » Double crown = genius?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Double crown = genius?
Crackrzz
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 214 posted      Profile for Crackrzz   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crackrzz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother once told me while she was taking a hairdressing course that she was told that a double crown is a sign of genius.

I tend to believe this because my SO has a double crown and he's extremely intelligent.

Any thoughts?

Man "single crowned, myself" dy

--------------------
Stand up, slip on the bathtub floor, fling a hand up to balance yourself, and happen to have your mouth open on the downswing. Voila, a new hole in your face.

-Tabby, on how she cut her lip while shaving her legs.

Posts: 5097 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
anue
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 214 posted      Profile for anue   E-mail anue   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What's a double crown? [Confused]

--------------------
om mani padme hum

Posts: 2306 | From: tennessee | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I have one on a top left molar AND one on an incisor, so I believe it.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well most cranial abnoralities go hand in hand with people on the other end of the intelligence spectrum.

Beach...I wouldn't be bragging about it...Life!

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Crackrzz

Icon 210 posted      Profile for Crackrzz   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crackrzz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry... on top of everyone's head there is a place where a whorl is formed similar to the ones in fingerprints. Most people have only one, but some people are blessed with two, and I'm told they'e supposed to be geniuses.

My SO claims it is also a curse, as he can't get his hair cut too short, or the hair in that spot sticks up.

Man "obviously single crowned or I might have explained it better [Razz] " dy

--------------------
Stand up, slip on the bathtub floor, fling a hand up to balance yourself, and happen to have your mouth open on the downswing. Voila, a new hole in your face.

Posts: 5097 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bratling
Silence of the Clams

Icon 01 posted      Profile for bratling   E-mail bratling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Double crown = big knots [Frown]
Posts: 1141 | From: TamperBay Area | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this the type of thing where you have two distinct bulges in the back of your skull instead of one, or is it merely a skin pattern?

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Crackrzz

Icon 97 posted      Profile for Crackrzz   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crackrzz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Um it's just where the hair kind of grows in a circle... you know? Can't seem to find mine.

I know all about knots. [Frown]

--------------------

trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 03 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got a double crown, so yes it's definately true.

I'd also like to add that your SO is right, you can't really have very short hair, and it makes cutting it an absolute bastard.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Crackrzz

Icon 106 posted      Profile for Crackrzz   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crackrzz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I also noticed you're a musician, trollface. So is my SO. [Smile] He plays guitar and sings. [Smile] Not for a living mind you... he's an absolute genius when it comes to computers... and alot of other things.

--------------------

Cato Sooty-Ratter
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll go along with trollface, I have a double crown too [Smile]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ms Stressa, with ratted hair

quote:
Originally posted by Crackrzz:
I also noticed you're a musician, trollface. So is my SO. [Smile] He plays guitar and sings. [Smile] Not for a living mind you... he's an absolute genius when it comes to computers... and alot of other things.

There's an interesting book called Sparks of Genius that explores the connections between creativity in the arts and other areas (science, computers, etc.) I'll have to double-check it for the double crown connection, though!

I have a double crown and cowlicks, so I must be a difficult genius - Stressa [Wink]

The Stainless-Steel Unwin

Icon 217 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My daughter has two little whorls right above her forehead. Her pediatrician said that children who have five or more such whorls are often developmentally disabled. He didn't mention anything about extra intelligence. I wonder if there is a connection to this discussion.
odaiwai

My son's got a double crown - but he hasn't revealed any strokes of genious to us yet. Mind you, he's only six months old...

dave

Mr. Furious

Icon 204 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
*shrug*

I only have one crown (and a dandy one at that!), and I always tested at genius levels (yeah, I know, you'd never know it from my posts).

Imagine if I'd had two - I could have taken over the world! Muahahahahahahaha! Er, ahem, never mind.

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
you ain't nothing but a rossdawg

Icon 22 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So I guess we finally have verifiable truth that Bam Bam Bigelow is the genius we thought all along.

Here are some other double crown beliefs

A person with two crowns will meet death by drowning

Anyone who has a double crown will eat bread on two continents.

Two crowns (or a double crown) indicate that you will live in two countries
(governments or kingdoms)

Crackrzz

Icon 204 posted      Profile for Crackrzz   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crackrzz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting...

--------------------

First of Two
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 01 posted      Profile for First of Two   Author's Homepage   E-mail First of Two   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a double crown which produces two cowlicks on my forehead... without the right haircut and styling gel, I look like I have horns (Satanboy!).

I always tested in the "ridiculously smart" range, although a lack of ambition and focus kept me from taking over the world as I was supposed to.

I don't know about drowning, but I have been terrified of water in my face since my first bath after birth, according to my parents.

I have only eaten bread on one continent so far, and only lived under one government (unless you count online communities, which I don't.) Of course, there's still time for y'all to make me Emperor of the US, in which case both of those predictions would quickly come true.

--------------------
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide." - Jerry Pournelle

Posts: 14567 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit

Icon 206 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have at least a double crown, with whorls like crazy...like someone's darn fingerprint! My poor son was blessed with the same damn mess. What's worse is the hair on the back of my neck, at my hairline, grows up my neck instead of down. Wearing my hair short, I always have to keep that trimmed.

So, that saying about someone having their head on upside down, that'd be about me, right?

I'm not a genius, but my son tested just short of one. Though I suppose there are plenty in the 5 percentile range. Whoa, like 5% even!

tag

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pineywoods

quote:
What's worse is the hair on the back of my neck, at my hairline, grows up my neck instead of down. Wearing my hair short, I always have to keep that trimmed.
I am double crowned and have always tested high.

I also have my hair growing up my neck. Talk about a pain.

One of my sons is double crowned with hair going up at his neck.

You are not alone. Maybe we could start a support group. [Cool]

weevilknevil

My mom always told me that two giri-giris (the whorls) means you're bad (I had three). This led my friends and me to the conclusion:

one giri-giri means you're normal
two giri-giris means you're bad
three giri-giris means you're evil

no giri-giris mean...you do not exisit in my world!

Knevil

tagurit

Icon 99 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pineywoods:
quote:
What's worse is the hair on the back of my neck, at my hairline, grows up my neck instead of down. Wearing my hair short, I always have to keep that trimmed.
I am double crowned and have always tested high.

I also have my hair growing up my neck. Talk about a pain.

One of my sons is double crowned with hair going up at his neck.

You are not alone. Maybe we could start a support group. [Cool]

Oh, thank you. I always thought we were the only ones. So, would our group meet at the barber's?

tag

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I've got a 147 I.Q. and no crown that I can find. (My hair doesn't seem to grow in any pattern). Maybe I don't know what I'm supossed to be looking for, though.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Crackrzz

Icon 203 posted      Profile for Crackrzz   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crackrzz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe you should get someone else to look. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Hacker Barbie

Icon 219 posted      Profile for Hacker Barbie   E-mail Hacker Barbie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I honestly don't think I have a crown at all. Well, I probably do, but I have no idea where it would be. All my hair lies in the same direction - down, no matter where I part it. I guess the weight of it counteracts whatever effects a crown, if I had one, would have on it.

D

Posts: 2351 | From: Germany | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kiefer Wombat, Average Son

Icon 207 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I've got a double crown, so you can be sure I'm right when I say this old wives' tale is pure cow-pie.
Atlanta Jake
Xboxing Day

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Atlanta Jake   E-mail Atlanta Jake   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kiefer Wombat, Average Son:
Well, I've got a double crown, so you can be sure I'm right when I say this old wives' tale is pure cow-pie.

Well it must be so if someone with Kiefer's I.Q. says so!!
**Ducks and runs**

Atlanta "ba-dum-bum" Jake

--------------------
Remember Kids, Don't try this at home!

Posts: 1366 | From: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
resELution

Icon 603 posted      Profile for resELution   E-mail resELution   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crackrzz:
There's an interesting book called Sparks of Genius that explores the connections between creativity in the arts and other areas (science, computers, etc.) I'll have to double-check it for the double crown connection, though!

I have a double crown and cowlicks, so I must be a difficult genius - Stressa [Wink] [/QB]

I learned in psychology that talent in music is actually due to left-brain, linier thinking. The same people who can easliy pluck a tune on a guitar may find proficiancy in software engineering as well. While music is considered one of the arts, speaking as a primarily right brained individual, I'm all kinds of artistic and I can't carry a tune...

The hair on my brothers back makes a large whorl. I wonder what that says about him.
[Confused]

Posts: 2286 | From: Washington State | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JesusisaMyth1225

Icon 05 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My I.Q. is 165, I'm a proud member of MENSA, and attend an arts school (BSFA!! YAY US), but i have yet to find any type of whirl!?! It's harder to tell because i'm an African American female so my hair's all curly and crinkly and stuff, what does the whirly thingy look like?
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 301 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JesusisaMyth1225:
My I.Q. is 165, I'm a proud member of MENSA, and attend an arts school (BSFA!! YAY US), but i have yet to find any type of whirl!?! It's harder to tell because i'm an African American female so my hair's all curly and crinkly and stuff, what does the whirly thingy look like?

Find a little baby in the mall or somewhere and get a good look at the back of his or her head. The hair kind of spirals around a spot on the back/top of the head.

Some people have the same thing going on with their back hair.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JesusisaMyth1225

Icon 37 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ewww..back hair? Ok, well i'm off to check my dad, hair everywhere cept his head...ewww back hair...

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages