snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » Gold ring Iron test

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gold ring Iron test
Diego302
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My girlfriend believes that rubbing a gold ring on your skin will indicate if your body is low on iron if it leaves a grey mark.

Has anybody heard of this? I don't believe that this is in any way an accurate test to determine if your body is low on iron. A gold ring will leave marks on some people and not others, and on the same people will leave bolder marks on certain parts of the body (the forehead usually leaves very dark grey marks, where the arm is usually light). It's my guess that the acids in the natural body oil is reacting and oxidizing with the trace amounts of Gold left from the friction. Ideas?

Michael

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Generally, when gold leaves gray, black or green marks on the skin it is a good indication that it ain't gold.

Beach...and just for your future information - gold doesn't oxidize...Life!

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Diego302

Thank you for the reply. And thinking back to high school chemestry, I agree Au (Gold) does not oxidize (combine with oxygen directly). However, gold will react with other substances, or cause a reaction in others by acting as a catylist.

I absolutly guarantee that the rings (we've tried a few, she shows this to EVERYBODY), are gold - and they will leave a mark.

I'm aware that some low quality rings will turn a finger grey, green, black, etc. However, I can take a ring from a perfectly clean finger, read the 18K mark on the band, and rub it across the inner forearm and leave a mark, but only on some people (tends to work best with young women).

Michael

BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When you say a mark, are we talking one that stays around and needs to be washed off, or one that fades on its own?

Beach...Oh and btw, welcome to the board...Life!

--------------------

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Diego302

It stays, it's actually a little hard to get off.

Michael

Diego302

Actually, I have never just let the mark stay to see if it will fade over time. We've always just rubbed it off.

Michael

BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 01 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Diego302:
Actually, I have never just let the mark stay to see if it will fade over time. We've always just rubbed it off.

Michael

Now you have me curious, though I would bet it has nothing to do with iron content. I'll have to dig up my old wedding ring to see this work in action.

Beach...everything else I own is silver...Life!

--------------------

Diego302

Beach, thanks for your time and help. This is a long standing source of debate for myself, and I simply must find the truth. I don't mind being wrong nearly as much as I mind not actually knowing that I'm right.

The best way to get this to work is to make one very quick pass with the ring. Like I said, it works the best on the forehead of young people, but somepeople, like my girlfriend, could actually write her name in script on her forearm. For me it does nothing. Maybe it has something to do with baby oil, I know she puts on lotion every morning after showering?

BTW, she's actually taking Iron pills (good anyway I guess).

Michael

guruwan2b
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It may be the person's chemistry. My mother gets discoloration from gold. The higher the content, the worse the color. She can wear cheap rings with no problem.

Kim "coating the inside of the ring with clear nail polish will help"

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 01 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Beach, thanks for your time and help. This is a long standing source of debate for myself, and I simply must find the truth. I don't mind being wrong nearly as much as I mind not actually knowing that I'm right.

The best way to get this to work is to make one very quick pass with the ring. Like I said, it works the best on the forehead of young people, but somepeople, like my girlfriend, could actually write her name in script on her forearm. For me it does nothing. Maybe it has something to do with baby oil, I know she puts on lotion every morning after showering?

BTW, she's actually taking Iron pills (good anyway I guess).

Michael

Okay then, here's your answer:
It's just skin chem

Incidentally, taking iron supplements without needing them is not a good idea due to the possibility of iron toxicity.

Beach...still sounds like a good UL though...Life!

--------------------

Diego302

Thanks!!!!

Michael

Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't mind being wrong nearly as much as I mind not actually knowing that I'm right.

That is, without a doubt, one of the wisest things anyone has ever said!

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Diego302

Thanks! It requires wisdom to recognize wisdom.

Michael

Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 204 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So, just exactly how can you tell if your body is low on iron without having to resort to old wives' tales?

- Pseudo "iron chef" Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sparverius, Budgerigar of Fate

quote:
Originally posted by Pseudo_Croat:
So, just exactly how can you tell if your body is low on iron without having to resort to old wives' tales?

Go to the doctor for a blood test.
Gale
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 97 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparverius, Budgerigar of Fate:
quote:

Go to the doctor for a blood test.
Or save the money and do something for your community at the same time: give blood.
Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ovalescent
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Ovalescent   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ovalescent   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

When I went to donate blood, they took a drop of blood from my finger and dropped it in some water. If it floated, that meant I didn't have enough iron in my blood. If it sank, then everything was all right.

Oval "It was slow, but it sank" Escent

--------------------
"You're all suffering from trauma because it was so boring in the womb!"

Posts: 837 | From: Now LIVE from Arkansas! | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Since I suffer periodically from stress-induced iron deficiency, my MD gave me a couple of quick checks:

Your nail beds (the part of your fingernails above that little pale half-moon) should be pink.

Stand in front of the mirror and pull down a lower eyelid. The inside of the eyelid should have a pink base, not a sallow or whitish one.

And personally, if I begin to have aches in my elbows and have a difficult time writing on the chalkboard, I know it's time to start on the iron supplements.

But a blood test is the only sure way. You want to see what your hemoglobin level is. It's a simple test and doesn't take too long to perform.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages