snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » Rainwater better for washing hair?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rainwater better for washing hair?
Binro the Heretic
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 05 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A girl I knew back in high school used to go to the trouble of collecting rainwater to use for washing her hair. She said her grandmother told her it was better than city water, bottled water or even natural unpolluted ground water because rainwater usually has no mineral content.

Of course, I thought it was all silly. I used to tell her the reason her hair felt softer was because it was acid rain and was slowly dissolving her hair.

Today I got caught out in the rain during a bike ride with no shelter anywhere so all I could do was pedal back home as fast as I could. I got thorughly drenched.

When I did make it home, I just peeled off the wet clothes, towelled dry rather than hop in the shower and used the blow dryer on my hair before getting into dry clothes.

I have to admit, my hair does feel softer and it's behaving kind of weird. Usually, when I brush it back from my eyes, it stays back for a while but now it keeps slipping right back down almost instantly. It reminded me of my high school friend and the way she would only wash her hair with rainwater.

Think there could be anything to her grandma's advice or is it just the fact I didn't use shampoo & conditioner during this particular "shower?"

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThespiSis
Xboxing Day

Icon 01 posted      Profile for ThespiSis   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
it may have done your hair some good to be drenched with clean water, but i don't think rain water would be any better than any other water...i'm sure if you analyzed it, you'd find plenty of things in rainwater besides h2o...i sincerely doubt that it doesn't pick anything up on it's way from the cloud to the ground

that being said...i see a noticable difference when i wash my hair at my parents' house as opposed to my apartment as they get their water from a spring-house, and my apartment water gets piped in from the city (i've not heard good things about their content either...i don't drink it without a filter)...the benefit could come just from washing your hair in something that doesn't have any added chemicals or polutants in it

--------------------
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out.~~Alfred Hitchcock

The Big Beautiful Women Homepage

Posts: 1315 | From: BFE Tennessee (aka The 'boro) | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon Shadows
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Lady Moon Shadows   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
i know where i live, we have hard water, washing my hair at my moms is much different. That said, I think rain water IS much different than the water coming out of your tap..remember, when we wash our hair with shampoo and such, all the shampoo is doing is taking away the surface dirt, not actually stripping the dirt off our hair. We need some dirt in their, it does help, but that is natural dirt..

shampoo just takes away the surface part--maybe rain water comes down hard enough to remove all the dirt from our hair, which in turn makes it smoother and looks more healthier???

--------------------
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in hand, body thoroughly used up, and screaming WoW what a ride!

Posts: 2924 | From: Flori-duh | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I lived in Florida, our water came from a pump in the backyard. The water was so high in iron that when it splashed from the kitchen sink onto the counter that it left pink splotches. My hair was always dingy-looking and never seemed to stay clean. My sister couldn't even use bubble bath because the hard water prevented it from forming bubbles... it just went in the water, made a few small bubbles, and then nothing.

I always wondered about the way rainwater made my hair feel. Usually if I don't wash it in the bath, it gets extremely oily as it dries. When I get caught in the rain, it seems to dry softer and doesn't get so greasy-feeling.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chava

Icon 501 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I lived in Iowa for 2 years, where the water was highly mineralized with iron. I found I could not wash my hair at my apartment because the salt-replacement "water softener" my landlord used made the water feel like dilute sodium hydroxide, permanently soapy.

I washed my hair at the gym at the college where I worked, and I didn't get the permanently soapy sensation but I also never had the feeling that my hair was clean.

I prefer to wash my hair in alkaline hard water (if it's not naturally soft water). It takes more shampoo, but the hair feels good when I'm done. Interestingly enough, the few times I tried shampooing my hair in sea water it felt wonderful.

Chava

just Lisa
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 504 posted      Profile for just Lisa   Author's Homepage   E-mail just Lisa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was told that rainwater was "softer" and therefore made your hair soft and silky. I found a page on old time solutions called Those private things that backs me up on this theory. (Note to those with delicate sensibilities - it starts out with a discussion of early sanitary napkins and toilet paper.)

It also mentions a vinegar rinse, which does make hair very shiney. The problem was, you smelled like a salad all day.

Li "creak!" sa

--------------------
Never make fun of a man's fish, especially if it is 40 feet tall and aluminum.

Posts: 949 | From: Central California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fred Chook

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm... we use water from a rainwater tank, and my hair is light, silky and fall-over-eyes to a ridiculous extreme. I'd blamed the herbal shampoo...
Van Couver
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Van Couver   E-mail Van Couver   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that depends on the water that you get out of the tap. Around here we have great waterquality. Mountainwater in our tapes. almost not lime. Very soft.

Can't say how it affects my hair. It has always been a problem case. Very choosy in Shampoo. But then again it is also very thick and reaches my whole back.

Van *shiny is oily* Couver

--------------------
FAMILY(n): Where the term insane is a RELATIVE term //Threadkiller: Watch this line.....it might be the last on this topic........

Posts: 2146 | From: Austria | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squirrel de Soleil

Icon 501 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Any facts on saltwater? When I was on vacation, I went in the ocean and was amazed at how squeaky clean my hair felt afterward. It probably wasn't too good for my color-treated hair. I wouldn't recommend it for people with dry hair or scalps, but if you have an oil problem, it might be OK.

Squirrel "I'll stick to Herbal Essence, though" de Soleil.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages