snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » Eating dairy when you have a fever can kill you?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eating dairy when you have a fever can kill you?
SmartKitty
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 602 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In the small Southern town where I spent my childhood, it seemed everyone believed that eating ice cream or drinking milk when you had a fever could make you dreadfully ill or kill you. My mother still believes this.

Oddly, no one else I've spoken to seems to have heard this legend. I'm beginning to think it's exclusive to that town.

Has anyone else heard this, and if so, would you have any ideas how it started or if there's any truth to it?

Smart "You scream, I scream" Kitty

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kiwibird

Icon 500 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never heard of this one, and I've eaten dairy products innumerable times while febrile. Hospitals certainly don't limit dairy intake for febrile patients.
SmartKitty

Icon 103 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mmmm... yeah... I just noticed I forgot to clarify that I no longer believe that.

Smart "I never said smartest" Kitty

Mojo Jojo

Icon 200 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mom didn't allow me to eat loads of dairy when I had a fever...she thought it would crudle in your stomach and then make you want to vomit...

Mojo "Never did care for milk" Jojo

hbrogan

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I never heard this either. My mother always tells me to stay away from dairy when I'm sick because it creates phlegm, which tends to make you feel worse.

Heather

Chava

Icon 501 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If your problem is that you are sick at your stomach, dairy is not usually the first food you are supposed to try. The usual recommendation is saltines, jello, dry toast, 7-up, clear broth. Things that are really easy to digest. And maybe things that will be the least repulsive if you toss your cookies again.

If you have a cold, I don't think it matters what you eat except that you are supposed to get lots of fluids.

Chava

SmartKitty

quote:
Originally posted by Mojo Jojo:
My mom didn't allow me to eat loads of dairy when I had a fever...she thought it would crudle in your stomach and then make you want to vomit...

Where do you come from, Mojo? That's exactly what my mother believes.

To clarify things, Chava, it was with any fever, regardless of cause. I know when I'm queasy, I certainly don't want dairy, fever or not (bring on those saltines and dry toast), but any other time it's fine.

Chava

quote:
To clarify things, Chava, it was with any fever, regardless of cause.
Some little kids will throw up with any fever, regardless of cause. Mine did. A guaranteed trigger was the tylenol hitting the stomach. We used to have the refrigerator stocked with tylenol suppositories.

Chava

SmartKitty

Just out of curiousity, Chava, are you a health care professional? You seem to know what you're talking about.

And as for some kids throwing up with any fever, I wasn't one of them, nor were any other kids I knew, so I didn't know that was possible.

Chava

quote:
Just out of curiousity, Chava, are you a health care professional? You seem to know what you're talking about.
Only to the extent that anyone who has almost-grown children is a health-care professional. In other words, I know about stuff that my kids (or husband, or I) have actually had, but I've made it my business to find out a reasonable amount of information about those things.

Chava

SmartKitty

quote:
Originally posted by Chava:
Only to the extent that anyone who has almost-grown children is a health-care professional. In other words, I know about stuff that my kids (or husband, or I) have actually had, but I've made it my business to find out a reasonable amount of information about those things.

Ah. Makes sense. My husband and I don't have children, and we rarely get seriously ill, although we've both had our share of minor ailments (actually, I've had far more than my share, as I have a weak immune system).
Enjal
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 19 posted      Profile for Enjal   E-mail Enjal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chava:
If you have a cold, I don't think it matters what you eat except that you are supposed to get lots of fluids.

Chava

Actually, you should drink a lot of clear fluids, hence the reason one should stay away from dairy. The clear fluids (water, broth, koolaid, some juices) help thin out the phlegm which can help you feel better and might even make you recover faster. I don't believe milk creates phlegm but I'm sure it doesn't help get rid of it. Source: Enjal's Mommy. She's a registered nurse and a damn fine mother.

Chava, I feel for your kids! I did't throw up everytime I had a fever but I would throw up everytime I got strep...which, as some of you former children and parents know can happen quite a lot when one is in school sharing germs with other kids. I don't really remember it but Mom will bring it up every once in a while, even to this day because she said my cry would change just slightly and she'd know to run for the "barf bowl". [Laughing out loud]

--------------------
"I'm a leaf in the wind"
New Lungs for George

Posts: 2719 | From: the other Portland (US) | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mojo Jojo

quote:
Originally posted by SmartKitty:

I come from OH my mom is from PA...mothers...where do they come up with these things?
SmartKitty

quote:
Originally posted by Mojo Jojo:
quote:

I come from OH my mom is from PA...mothers...where do they come up with these things?
Well, at least I know now that it's not exclusive to this little backwater town.
trash

quote:
In the small Southern town where I spent my childhood, it seemed everyone believed that eating ice cream or drinking milk when you had a fever could make you dreadfully ill or kill you. My mother still believes this.

My mom, grandmother and great grandmother on both sides of the family believed this as well. Did they make you drink flat ginger ale for a stomachache too?
noreen
We Three Blings

Icon 24 posted      Profile for noreen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by trash:
quote:

My mom, grandmother and great grandmother on both sides of the family believed this as well. Did they make you drink flat ginger ale for a stomachache too?
My ex MIL believed warm ginger ale or coca cola would cure anything short of cancer.

Upset stomach? Have some caffeine, sugar, phosphoric acid, and carbonic acid; that'll calm things down. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"No matter what kind of a twisted sexual mutant you happen to be, you've got millions of pals out there. Type in 'Find people that have sex with goats that are on fire' and the computer will say, 'Specify type of goat.'"

Posts: 1112 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
eagle eye

Icon 95 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mom's favorite cure-all was (and still is--good thing I'm long out of her house) milk toast. I suppose that it did work, in some kind of indirect way. It usually went something like this:

1. I'm feeling a bit under the weather (usually on a school morning).

2. Mom offers to make some milk toast.

3. I'm cured, and on my way to the bus.

On those occasions when the cure didn't come soon enough, and she actually made milk toast and made me choke some down, I usually puked all over the floor and ended up getting on the bus anyhow.

Regards,
eagle "visions of ralph and earl crossing my mind, just from thinking about this" eye

v94jsi

quote:
Originally posted by noreen:

Upset stomach? Have some caffeine, sugar, phosphoric acid, and carbonic acid; that'll calm things down. [Roll Eyes]

When I was a kid I had stomach flue ONCE but I was real sick. I mean normally one throws up for a day and then feels weak for a bunch more. I was seriously throwing up everything for three days. Finally my fever went up, mom calls childrens hospital (Before she only talked to the local doctors office, they recommended cold tea, no suger, great to a six-yer-old?) At the hospital they told her I got a fever due to dehydration. And they told her to give me flat coke. I don't know if I could keep that either.

Anyway, to the point at the few times my stomach revolts now I drink flat coke and if nothing else it is the least bad thing I know to barf. Honestly coke is sweet on the way up too.

v94'I don't wish anyone to throw up'jsi

Cactus Wren
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 86 posted      Profile for Cactus Wren   E-mail Cactus Wren   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought it was Coke syrup. As late as the 1970s drugstores in the US sold small (two ounces?) bottles of Coca-Cola syrup as a remedy for nausea: pour a spoonful or so over a cup of crushed ice and sip the melt.

It tasted like the flat-melted-ice Coke at the bottom of the glass. My mother swore by it. Kid bro and I usually just swore.

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.” -- Edward R. Murrow

IOToriSparrowANK!

Posts: 598 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Callie Cat
Xboxing Day

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Callie Cat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by trash:
quote:

I was also told that flat gingerale would cure what ails ya. My grandmother would also make me eat some toast and would always make jell-o.

Callie "cherry please" Cat

Posts: 1304 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kiwibird

Icon 500 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CactusWren:
I thought it was Coke syrup. As late as the 1970s drugstores in the US sold small (two ounces?) bottles of Coca-Cola syrup as a remedy for nausea: pour a spoonful or so over a cup of crushed ice and sip the melt.

They have it at the Walgreens chain now, in the oughties!
Koshka
Deck the Malls

Icon 402 posted      Profile for Koshka         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I never heard the milk story, though if I'm really sick (not just a cold) I don't want anything heavy in my stomach.

My mom is a big fan of Diet 7-Up when ill, but I prefer lukewarm to cool mint tea, no sugar. (Usually Mint Medley, because I don't have to run to the local Wild Oats to find it.)

Posts: 244 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages