snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » Cutting paper with dress scissors blunts them

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cutting paper with dress scissors blunts them
CHawke
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 86 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mum and others all maintain that cutting paper blunts scissors, each xmas she gives me two pairs to wrap my presents one for the tape (the good pair) and one for the papaer (an old pair)

Is there any truth behind this, I cannot see and reason for there to be?

CH

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eowyn, warrior babe with gold toes

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well... basically it's true, but not because paper is special in the blade dulling department. Most scissors are made with straight-edged blades. As those who use good knives know, "sawing" with a straight edged blade is what dulls it. "Chopping" on the other hand, does not dull straight blades. Using scissors, you can not make clean vertical cuts (chopping), but the material meets the blades diagonally, which is more of a sawing motion. Paper, being thicker than tape, would therefore dull your scissors faster than tape.

BUT if your scissors have micro-serrated blades, paper shouldn't dull them. In fact, they'll stay sharp for a much longer time. :-)

gold "was a knife saleswoman once, and only sold
scissors" toes

ThespiSis
Xboxing Day

Icon 13 posted      Profile for ThespiSis   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
ah...my costume professor's munchkin...i thought this was going to be about sewing, so your mom's actions seem a little too far out...what does it matter if you used the paper scissors to cut tape? anyhoo...according to the prof...scissors are for paper, shears are for fabric...never ever EVER use the shears on paper because it will dull the blades, and they won't cut fabric properly anymore

ThespiSis "and don't call the shears scissors" @hotmail.com

--------------------
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out.~~Alfred Hitchcock

The Big Beautiful Women Homepage

Posts: 1315 | From: BFE Tennessee (aka The 'boro) | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stubiter

Icon 86 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What's more disturbing is that the 'good' scissors
implies the existance of the 'evil' scissors..

Island Manta
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Island Manta   E-mail Island Manta   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stubiter:
What's more disturbing is that the 'good' scissors
implies the existance of the 'evil' scissors..

Those are the ones we 'ran' with as kids.

-Kim "But I turned out just fine " [Laughing out loud]

Posts: 3569 | From: USVI | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abbubmah
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 84 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always wanted to know, if you have half a scissors, do you call it a "scizz"?

Uncle "inquiring bubbas everywhere want to know" Bubba

--------------------
Fundamentally Unfundie since 1975

Posts: 7942 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Island Manta
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 96 posted      Profile for Island Manta   E-mail Island Manta   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Bubba:
I always wanted to know, if you have half a scissors, do you call it a "scizz"?

Uncle "inquiring bubbas everywhere want to know" Bubba

I think that would be called 'trash' in my house...either that or ohe HECK of a dull knife

-K "Happy now? "

Posts: 3569 | From: USVI | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CynthiaAnn4900

Icon 05 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The "evil" scissors were those stupid scissors for the left handed kids, that they used to give out in school. As you might suspect I'm left handed and I never understood why I had to use the dull, blunt tipped scissors that were always hard to use but the right handed kids got the longer sharper pointed tipped scissors. I guess the teachers thought, being a lefty that I would harm myself or others if given a pair of pointy scissors. There, I feel much better now.
abbubmah
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 99 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CynthiaAnn4900:
The "evil" scissors were those stupid scissors for the left handed kids, that they used to give out in school.

That's because until recently it was thought that a lefty couldn't cut it in a right-handed world.

U " " B

--------------------
Fundamentally Unfundie since 1975

Posts: 7942 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonlight
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 86 posted      Profile for moonlight   E-mail moonlight   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You haven't felt sharp shears until you've felt haircutting shears (or sliced your hand open with them and couldn't get the bleeding to stop for 2 hours).

moon "many scars between my fingers" light

--------------------
I'm back to lurking.

Posts: 2709 | From: Illinois | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chava

Icon 95 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's true that cutting paper with the sewing scissors wrecks them, but the real damage comes when the kids drop them on the floor with the blades open.

No you can't use my scissors!! Come back here!!

Chava

BoKu
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 01 posted      Profile for BoKu   Author's Homepage   E-mail BoKu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chava:
No you can't use my scissors!! Come back here!!

<< Ahem.

Posts: 2079 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Koshka
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Koshka         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The way I always heard it, paper contains small amounts of clay (?) and the clay will gradually blunt the blades.
Posts: 244 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kjbrasda
Happy Holly Days

Icon 01 posted      Profile for kjbrasda   Author's Homepage   E-mail kjbrasda   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moonlight:
You haven't felt sharp shears until you've felt haircutting shears (or sliced your hand open with them and couldn't get the bleeding to stop for 2 hours).

moon "many scars between my fingers" light

and hair will dull regular scissors faster than anything!

--------------------
"Long ago, when we all lived in the forest..."
Who are you? Who? Who?

Posts: 1587 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages