snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » unlucky owls?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: unlucky owls?
turquoisefox
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My grandfather thinks owls are bad luck.Does anyone know where this belief may have come from?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tierce di Picardi

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A variation I heard is that if you saw an owl in the daytime, someone you knew would die. So I'd guess it has to do with the fact that owls are usually nocturnal.
Then again, no one says hamsters are bad luck, I don't think. Maybe it's related to the way their (the owl's) eyes stare. Or some tie to an ancient religion? A lot had owls as symbols, didn't they?
Tierce di "lots of possibilities" Picardi

turquoisefox

Hamsters are only unlucky if they bite you! Tierce,owls were the symbol of the Greek goddess Athena(goddess of wisdom,so that's where the idea owls are wise came from.)Last week,I saw two owls out during the day.no one's died yet.
Farkle

My aunt brought me a little brass owl with blue glass eyes back from Greece telling me it was considered extremely lucky. I had it on my desk at work and a woman from India absolutely freaked and demanded I remove it, in her culture owls bring very bad luck.
skrap
Minnow Way Out

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skrap   E-mail skrap   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When my husband and I got married, one of his Aunts gave us a small ceramic owl that she had made. She said to keep it on a mantle or fireplace and it would bring us good luck. After almost 31 years I still have it.
skrap

It's your life, you should do what you like

--------------------
The Quiet One

Posts: 928 | From: Colorado | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I once had bad luck because of an owl. I was teaching at the Georgia Governor's Honors Program, and my five fellow English teachers and I were planning our curriculum. Carole wanted to put a book on the reading list, and she turned to me and asked, "Who wrote the book I Heard the Owl Call My Name?"

And I said "Hoot Gibson."

And she hit me.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Matrix Refugee I Am

Icon 27 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to dream about owls a lot when I was 14; first it was normal owl things: owls in trees, owls in barns, owls flying at night past a full moon, owls in attics. But then it got more surreal: open a drawer and an owl sticks its head out an goggled at me, open a closet door and there's an owl sitting on the clothes bar, try to put clothes in a hamper and an owl flies out, etc. I never had any bad luck, as far as I remember. Anybody have an explanation?

For that matter, I would think owls would be a sign of GOOD luck since they eat rodents which damage crops.

"There is no spoon."

MRIA

Warlok
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Warlok     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tierce di Picardi:
A variation I heard is that if you saw an owl in the daytime, someone you knew would die. Tierce di "lots of possibilities" Picardi

Variation I heard was a little different ... it was if you herd an owl hooting outside (a window) three nights in a row, someone was going to die... I think that came from an american indian (not sure tribe/family) legend about owls being the bearer or guide for spirits in the afterlife...

No cites, but I'll see what I can dig up ...

War 'who's hoo' lok

--------------------
Inconceivable

Posts: 2755 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ParaDiddle
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 01 posted      Profile for ParaDiddle   E-mail ParaDiddle       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tierce di Picardi:
A variation I heard is that if you saw an owl in the daytime, someone you knew would die. So I'd guess it has to do with the fact that owls are usually nocturnal.
Then again, no one says hamsters are bad luck, I don't think.
Tierce di "lots of possibilities" Picardi

I've heard this one from way back as well. Sometimes I beleive I was born a sceptic because I can barely remember a time when I wasn't one. When I was younger I was a bit more smartassity.

I'd hear this one and respond with this.
"I know lots of people and they're all going to die sooner or later." I remember very disticntly, when my mom stopped discussing religion and superstition with me.

- P Diddle

Posts: 1856 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Loacharr

The smilie is a right-smart Dracula.

Though this is probably NOT the direct cause of current superstitions, Owls used to be among the things a vampire could transform himself into. This of course is the OLD-time, Pre-Stoker vampire that had NOTHING to do with bats. In fact IIRC, there were many ancient writings that had bloodsucking ghosts or witches taking the form of Owls.
It's probly just the whole Nocturnal thing that gets the Owl it's bad reputation, but you never know, it COULD be a vampire in disguise...

Loa(hoot)ky,

love jones

Icon 23 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
posted by turquoisefox in socks:

Last week,I saw two owls out during the day.no one's died yet.

I'll bet in the last week someone has died.

The legend must be true.

love "Horton heard a 'Who'" jones

Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I currently have four white owls in my bedroom. < juvenileREF>Too bad they are all stuffed... I could start my own postal service...< /juvenileREF>

-Astra

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Loacharr

quote:
Originally posted by Astra: I currently have four white owls in my bedroom. < juvenileREF>Too bad they are all stuffed... I could start my own postal service...< /juvenileREF>

Any named Hedwig?

Loaky,

Goes-hmmm

Icon 27 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Once an owl caused me to have a bad day.

A hillside apartment we lived in had a huge picture window in the master bedroom upstairs and we would often leave it the curtain open at night because of the distant city view. The wife and I were sleeping, then "bang, thump, thump, thump" an owl tried to fly into the darkened glass window. This creature had about a six foot wingspan and scared the everloving bejeezuz out of us. Didn't get back to sleep at all that night and as a result had a bad day at work the next day.

Goes-hmmm"how wise are they?"

Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Loacharr:

Any named Hedwig?

Two. I have the plush Hedwig and another tiny one that goes on my keychain. The other two are generic white owls in cages. One is waiting for my sister to come pick it up. I haven't named mine yet.

-Astra

--------------------

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Loacharr

quote:
Originally posted by Astra: I haven't named mine yet.

If he's particularly inept, you could go with Errol. You know, the Weasley "owl".

Loa(mentally, still 12 yrs. Old)ky,

Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought about that, but it is a white owl... kinda like a bigger Hedwig with a confused psychotic expression on its face.

maybe i should make it into a contest...

-Astra

--------------------

Sparverius, with Eagle pretensions

I thought that this thread would be about the story I heard a few years ago (sorry, no references):

A couple went out and bought a Christmas tree that had been trucked from New Brunswick to Toronto (IIRC). Apparently, it had been harvested with an automatic "tree-picker", that snips off the tree, and then wraps it up with netting. Anyway, when they unwrapped it in their home, they discovered that, tucked in the branches, was a live, but very bewildered, screech owl. He'd been dozing peacefully in his roost, when.... The whole trip must have been at least a week.

Now THAT'S an unlucky owl.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages